to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Splinter Cell: Blacklist dev diary gets visual

Your comments on our articles.

Ubi dev talks lens flare, light and shadow

Ubisoft has released a new developer diary, this time looking at the art of Splinter Cell: Blacklist.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Splinter Cell: Blacklist dev diary gets visual

Postby You shlaaaag » 14 Dec 2012, 10:38

That final comment about going back to what made Chaos Theory great, to me is a sign of a publisher frantically trying to get fans on side again after some lacklustre, action-heavy (and in other cases somewhat distasteful) showings previously. I hope they do though. The more I see of that engine the more I like it.
You shlaaaag 37

Re: Splinter Cell: Blacklist dev diary gets visual

Postby JOHNKARA » 14 Dec 2012, 10:58

Great interview, and the developer knows what to expect and has set some excellent standards on the importance of lighting, especially in a stealth game where as he mentioned "light is a central character in the game".

Begining to like what I am seeing as this game progresses, and the final refernce to Chaos Thoery was well noted.

Keep up the good work Ubisoft - this game is on my per-order list so please make it worthwhile yeah.
Gina Stein
JOHNKARA 46

Postby qSPARTANp » 14 Dec 2012, 12:03

Lens flare is a bit fake really is it not, its a third person shooter, let me say that again, SHOOTER, so why in Third person would there be lens flare? If you want to add realism you can do it by TAKING AWAY the green arrows and hints...
qSPARTANp 48

Postby ingy » 14 Dec 2012, 12:29

qSPARTANp wrote:Lens flare is a bit fake really is it not, its a third person shooter, let me say that again, SHOOTER, so why in Third person would there be lens flare? If you want to add realism you can do it by TAKING AWAY the green arrows and hints...

Agreed, lens flare is false, unless they want you to feel like you're playing the game behind a camera?

I also hate the trend for washing out or over brightening the world ie battlefield, totally ruined the game for me on the outdoor levels, might i suggest that our character might be wearing shades in bright sunshine so everything could look normal, either way all these ridiculous lighting effects do nothing except remove you from any kind of immersion.
ingy 63

Postby Black Mantis » 14 Dec 2012, 12:53

Looking really good.
Black Mantis 67

Postby MrPirtniw » 14 Dec 2012, 14:31

Nice video- man, I want to be excited for this game, I really do. But from the other videos Ubisoft have shown already I'm still extremely skeptical.
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 71

Xbox Live: Tysh0

Postby eastldn » 14 Dec 2012, 23:31

why the f does he run like that lol
eastldn 43

Postby TheCrimsonFenix » 19 Dec 2012, 01:46

Should have just made it a prequel. He's far too agile and catlike for Sam Fisher of today who by now going by timeline must be at least 60 by now. I also despise how they refer to him being just a man. They lost that with Conviction on it's own. The original games made you feel you were under pressure and danger. You were just a man behind enemy lines who if caught would be forgotten about. Conviction was an okay action game but it just wasn't Sam Fisher or Splinter Cell. You were a one man army with ultra unrealistic skills. The beginning cutscenes talking as though Fisher would tear a whole place apart if angry.... just b*****ks. That's not "just a man", that's Bourne. I wouldn't be anywhere near as p**sed at this series new direction if they've at least justify it in the game itself.
Hatspank

Has the hots for: Several friends, that quiet brunette down the street, Kai from Heavenly Sword, sonic_uk, Multiplayerking, Doug, and probably your sister and/or mother.
TheCrimsonFenix 70

PSN ID: Crimson-Phoenixx