to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Hackers 'update Wii Homebrew Channel to work on Wii U'

Your comments on our articles.

Exploit could be used to crack open new console, it's claimed

The hacking outfit responsible for creating the original Wii Homebrew Channel has claimed it's created an update allowing it to function on the Wii U.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Hackers 'update Wii Homebrew Channel to work on Wii U'

Postby totakeke » 10 Dec 2012, 13:41

Well that didn't take long...
totakeke 55

Xbox Live: Nanotramp
PSN ID: Nanotramp
Steam: sh3man278

Re: Hackers 'update Wii Homebrew Channel to work on Wii U'

Postby stealth » 10 Dec 2012, 14:14

""Please note that this is not running in full Wii U mode"

So they basically cant do anything nor hack the wii u
stealth 47

Postby XpAcErX » 10 Dec 2012, 14:38

stealth wrote:""Please note that this is not running in full Wii U mode"

Cant do anything? Seriously? They can work on bringing all the wii hacks and support to the wii side. Don't worry, be patient you will get to pirate your wiiu games eventually.
XpAcErX 21

Steam: VGBetas
xFire: VGBetas

Postby billysastard » 10 Dec 2012, 15:05

welcome to last week.

i have got this up and running on my wiiu and its great to have it back, all my old emulators work fine as does the homebrew games and utils, i've now got full multi region loading of wii games (originals only of course), nothing more it really needs, the fact that it does not enable piracy is fine.

oh and stealth the wii u side is already hacked but the team that did it are holding off a few days to release it probably whilst they check it does not enable piracy.

billysastard 60

Xbox Live: ImpaledGryphon
PSN ID: Impaled-Gryphon
Wii Code: wiiu-ImpaledGryphon
Steam: ImpaledGryphon

Postby slamatron » 10 Dec 2012, 16:24

well that didnt take long :lol:

still haven't hacked the wii u yet so all's good.
slamatron 49

Xbox Live: slamatron
PSN ID: slamatron

Postby gmcb007 » 10 Dec 2012, 16:28

XpAcErX wrote:

Cant do anything? Seriously? They can work on bringing all the wii hacks and support to the wii side. Don't worry, be patient you will get to pirate your wiiu games eventually.

Oh Stealth would never hurt Nintendo! He is a loyal soldier!
EA Sports: It's in the game(for a price).
gmcb007 62

Xbox Live: PM me if you want it

Postby Laughlyn » 10 Dec 2012, 20:24

In all honesty having USB Loader GX on my Wii was a godsend and i'm sure anyone with kids would appreciate it as well. all my lovely wii disks sat upstairs out the way of my then 3yr olds grubby paws while he could race on the likes of mario kart and eventually sonic all star races and disneys cars. sure i 'tested' some games out but any i've tried n liked i've been and bought. the homebrew on the wii was fantastic, some truly great things loved doom with wii controls and as for the ds, minecraft is amazing. they SOOOOOO need to put it on 3DS. People instantly think of the bad side of homebrew, the copied games, the cheating online. but in truth, homebrew is a fantastic thing and there are some really talented guys out there modding games, creating their own little games and apps and its disappointing that if they get found out they are generally prosecuted rather than praised for their talents
Laughlyn 55

Postby Cogglesz » 10 Dec 2012, 20:43

XpAcErX wrote:

To be fair though, the 3DS has remained rather untouched while its DS support is totally exploited, however i've heard of things on the go with 3DS hacking and as far as i'm concerned most electrical products can be hacked some way or another, it just takes a bit of time, not sure though, things have obviously advanced a great deal in terms of anti piracy, i'd imagine it being able to be hardhacked like older gen consoles but probably not softhacked like wii and ds.
http://i.imgur.com/ShWjhnH.png
Cogglesz 58

PSN ID: Cogglesz
Steam: Cogglesz
Battle.net: TheCogglesz#2186
xFire: Cogglesz

Postby stealth » 10 Dec 2012, 20:45

The 3ds has been untouched, the ds side has been hacked but its had little influence
stealth 47

Postby fatherofthenoo » 10 Dec 2012, 21:18

What is this homebrew? Is it safe to have it on your console? Isn't there a risk it'll affect your console when updates take place?
Now playing - Trine 2 Director's Cut, Dino Crisis 2, Devil May Cry, The Cave
fatherofthenoo 41

PSN ID: fatherofthenoo
Wii Code: WiiU-fatherofthenoo

Postby billysastard » 10 Dec 2012, 21:56

fatherofthenoo wrote:What is this homebrew? Is it safe to have it on your console? Isn't there a risk it'll affect your console when updates take place?

historically the worst nintendo have done is to try to block the exploits and patch out the hbc id so it wont run. what it does is enable you to get access to a wide range of emulators, homebrew games and utilities (like a good media player), if you choose to install the homebrew browser onto the homebrew channel then other than it probably locking up your wii u the first time you run it (requires the plug to be pulled) something it has always done to me you, should be able to browse the wii's extensive homebrew library directly from your wii as well as being able to download and install the titles directly.

you can also add a program called neogamma that used to enable piracy on the wii but now it is safe to use as all it enables is the playing of imported original wii games because the wii u drive wont read dvdr's (so no backups) and it cant access the usb hard drives (so no iso loading) although it might allow loading of an iso from sd card i havent tested this as frankly its not something i need, but i can confirm that under hbc / neogamma i can run metroid prime trilogy CE, cursed mountain CE and excitebots all of which are US imports running on my pal wii u.

at present the only problem i'm having is getting the patch for fatal frame 4 to run, at present it is only booting in japanese although i suspect this is not easily fixable as i cant boot it from the disc channel because its out of region and with no priiloader or bootmii on wii u i cant set the disc channel to region free.

billysastard 60

Xbox Live: ImpaledGryphon
PSN ID: Impaled-Gryphon
Wii Code: wiiu-ImpaledGryphon
Steam: ImpaledGryphon

Postby alan666 » 10 Dec 2012, 23:17

billysastard wrote:
fatherofthenoo wrote:What is this homebrew? Is it safe to have it on your console? Isn't there a risk it'll affect your console when updates take place?

historically the worst nintendo have done is to try to block the exploits and patch out the hbc id so it wont run. what it does is enable you to get access to a wide range of emulators, homebrew games and utilities (like a good media player), if you choose to install the homebrew browser onto the homebrew channel then other than it probably locking up your wii u the first time you run it (requires the plug to be pulled) something it has always done to me you, should be able to browse the wii's extensive homebrew library directly from your wii as well as being able to download and install the titles directly.

you can also add a program called neogamma that used to enable piracy on the wii but now it is safe to use as all it enables is the playing of imported original wii games because the wii u drive wont read dvdr's (so no backups) and it cant access the usb hard drives (so no iso loading) although it might allow loading of an iso from sd card i havent tested this as frankly its not something i need, but i can confirm that under hbc / neogamma i can run metroid prime trilogy CE, cursed mountain CE and excitebots all of which are US imports running on my pal wii u.

at present the only problem i'm having is getting the patch for fatal frame 4 to run, at present it is only booting in japanese although i suspect this is not easily fixable as i cant boot it from the disc channel because its out of region and with no priiloader or bootmii on wii u i cant set the disc channel to region free.

this is what i have a pc for :D
used to own - NES, Atari ST, Amiga 500, Mega Drive, SNK Neo Geo, SNES, Saturn, N64, PS2, GameCube, Alienware Aurora.
currently own - PS1, Xbox, Xbox360 + Kinect, Wii, PS3 + MOVE, 3DS, Games PC, Wii U.
alan666 55

Xbox Live: B1G A1AN
PSN ID: B1G_A1AN
Wii Code: Wii U + B1G_A1AN
Steam: full_life_666
Battle.net: Origin + full_life_666
xFire: 3DS + 0087-2285-0027

Postby Barry316 » 10 Dec 2012, 23:37

fatherofthenoo wrote:What is this homebrew?

The best cup of tea you'll ever have.
Death to Ming!
Barry316 64

Postby fatherofthenoo » 11 Dec 2012, 21:28

Barry316 wrote:
fatherofthenoo wrote:What is this homebrew?

The best cup of tea you'll ever have.

:lol:
fatherofthenoo 41

Postby fatherofthenoo » 11 Dec 2012, 21:32

billysastard wrote:

I'm a bit on an amateur when it comes to things like that, so you lost me early on lol. I think I'll just carry on as I am but thank you for the explanation.
fatherofthenoo 41

Next