to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Wii U mature content restrictions 'due to German law'

Your comments on our articles.

Nintendo of Europe location creates obligation to abide

German regulations are the cause of a restriction that reserves mature rated Wii U eShop purchases to the hours between 11pm and 3am, Nintendo has claimed.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Wii U mature content restrictions 'due to German law'

Postby vladimirimp » 10 Dec 2012, 12:45

I don't really understand this. Does it mean that you can't download 18+ games during the day, or view 18+ DLC in store or just stream 18+ videos or what? None of the articles have made this very clear.

It would be interesting to see how German law affects things like the Apple store (18+ movies) and YouTube etc. It's the first I've heard of anything like this on any digital platform so my immediate suspicion is that Nintendo have misunderstood something.
vladimirimp 53

Re: Wii U mature content restrictions 'due to German law'

Postby Bretteh » 10 Dec 2012, 12:49

The problem is the Nintendo of Europe has its HQ in Germany, thus they must abide by German law.

Does seem odd though, I'm sure there must be a loophole.
Bretteh 62

Postby B_G_G » 10 Dec 2012, 13:05

vladimirimp wrote:I don't really understand this. Does it mean that you can't download 18+ games during the day, or view 18+ DLC in store or just stream 18+ videos or what? None of the articles have made this very clear.

It would be interesting to see how German law affects things like the Apple store (18+ movies) and YouTube etc. It's the first I've heard of anything like this on any digital platform so my immediate suspicion is that Nintendo have misunderstood something.

You can play 18 rated games or films or TV shows you already own on disc or digitally at any time. You cannot buy games, view games or look at game information (game tips, game trailers, game user guides for example), or buy 18 rated films or TV shows except between 11pm and 3am.

Its exactly the same as on every other consoleOH HANG ON A SECOND.

And its not like the wii U has a fully featured web browser which has no restrictions whatsoeverOH HANG ON A SECOND.

The whole thing could be easily avoided if only the console had a parental lock featureOH HANG ON A SECOND.

This is Nintendo being... I don't even know. But I personally really don't fancy paying to be told exactly when I can use my console.
Last edited by B_G_G on 10 Dec 2012, 13:08, edited 1 time in total.
B_G_G 51

Postby Im_Money » 10 Dec 2012, 13:07

vladimirimp wrote:I don't really understand this. Does it mean that you can't download 18+ games during the day, or view 18+ DLC in store or just stream 18+ videos or what? None of the articles have made this very clear.

You can't view any of the content, I thought it was a problem with the shop when it was telling me I couldn't view the content. Appears it is even worse... I really hope this changes or they move their HQ ;)
Is this the same with the 3DS? Is there even anything in the eshop on 3DS that would be banned?? lol I never really visit it.

& it doesn't/shouldn't affect YouTube or Apple because they're not based in Germany like Nintendo are. (I think)
Wii U ID & PSN: Bowling4Phil

3DS Friend Code: 2707-1584-6139
Im_Money 63

Xbox Live: Bowling4Phil
PSN ID: Bowling4Phil

Postby El Mag » 10 Dec 2012, 13:07

Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
El Mag 68

Xbox Live: El Maggio
PSN ID: ElMagnifico83

Postby Willypiggy » 10 Dec 2012, 13:48

B_G_G wrote:

You can play 18 rated games or films or TV shows you already own on disc or digitally at any time. You cannot buy games, view games or look at game information (game tips, game trailers, game user guides for example), or buy 18 rated films or TV shows except between 11pm and 3am.

Its exactly the same as on every other consoleOH HANG ON A SECOND.

And its not like the wii U has a fully featured web browser which has no restrictions whatsoeverOH HANG ON A SECOND.

The whole thing could be easily avoided if only the console had a parental lock featureOH HANG ON A SECOND.

This is Nintendo being... I don't even know. But I personally really don't fancy paying to be told exactly when I can use my console.

It's not Nintendo being anything, either they move their offices out of Germany of they follow German law. If they were based in England and England had the same laws then they would be expected to follow them. It's not been done out of choice by Nintendo because if it had been then they would have done it in US and Japan.
Willypiggy 47

Postby B_G_G » 10 Dec 2012, 13:59

Willypiggy wrote:
It's not Nintendo being anything, either they move their offices out of Germany of they follow German law. If they were based in England and England had the same laws then they would be expected to follow them. It's not been done out of choice by Nintendo because if it had been then they would have done it in US and Japan.

IP filtering.

Its hardly difficult to implement.

And do you seriously think that international companies enforce the laws of the country they happen to be based in on all their consumers?

The only reason for Nintendo to do this is.. well, there really isn't a valid reason.
B_G_G 51

Postby Willypiggy » 10 Dec 2012, 14:47

B_G_G wrote:
Willypiggy wrote:

IP filtering.

Its hardly difficult to implement.

And do you seriously think that international companies enforce the laws of the country they happen to be based in on all their consumers?

The only reason for Nintendo to do this is.. well, there really isn't a valid reason.

So you didn't think they thought of that? A decision that could cost millions of £ in lost sales and they didn't think of the obvious solution? The way it reads to me it sounds like Nintendo of Europe have to apply it to every region because otherwise they would be in breach of German law. Now digital consumers are going to be p**sed because they won't want to wait until 11PM at the earliest to buy an adult game.

"Nintendo eShop is complying with German youth protection regulation which therefore applies to all our European markets. Under German law, content rated 18+ must be made available only at night."

Just to emphasize the point I'm trying to make.
Willypiggy 47

Postby Simon Carlin » 10 Dec 2012, 15:27

Most insane Nintendo issue ever, and that's saying something.
Simon Carlin 25

Postby B_G_G » 10 Dec 2012, 15:34

Willypiggy wrote:So you didn't think they thought of that? A decision that could cost millions of £ in lost sales and they didn't think of the obvious solution? The way it reads to me it sounds like Nintendo of Europe have to apply it to every region because otherwise they would be in breach of German law. Now digital consumers are going to be p**sed because they won't want to wait until 11PM at the earliest to buy an adult game.

"Nintendo eShop is complying with German youth protection regulation which therefore applies to all our European markets. Under German law, content rated 18+ must be made available only at night."

A company based in Germany does NOT have to apply German laws to its activities in other countries. Anyone saying otherwise is flat out wrong.

And even if that German restriction crap were true, Nintendo not sorting out where their servers are titularly based so the rest of Europe wasn't restricted in quite so cavalier a manner is ridiculous.

And yes, Nintendo constantly do things in Europe in a way that loses them sales and goodwill, whether that be appalling PAL conversions, not bringing games here at all, the way the reward system 'worked' here compared to the US and Japan, and now this infuriating lack of intelligence in how they treat their customers.

I want to love Nintendo, I really do, but they just don't deserve it. They are utterly indifferent when it comes to Europe, and I wouldn't trust them to provide any level of service for my money at all.
B_G_G 51

Postby TheLastDodo » 10 Dec 2012, 15:43

Sony Europe has a different setup for Germany's PS Store, almost every week there's something that Germany misses out on due to their restrictions on "mature" content but rest of EU gets so I don't buy that one size fits all excuse from Nintendo.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby Gamer1977 » 10 Dec 2012, 15:48

B_G_G wrote:
Willypiggy wrote:So you didn't think they thought of that? A decision that could cost millions of £ in lost sales and they didn't think of the obvious solution? The way it reads to me it sounds like Nintendo of Europe have to apply it to every region because otherwise they would be in breach of German law. Now digital consumers are going to be p**sed because they won't want to wait until 11PM at the earliest to buy an adult game.

A company based in Germany does NOT have to apply German laws to its activities in other countries. Anyone saying otherwise is flat out wrong.

And even if that German restriction crap were true, Nintendo not sorting out where their servers are titularly based so the rest of Europe wasn't restricted in quite so cavalier a manner is ridiculous.

And yes, Nintendo constantly do things in Europe in a way that loses them sales and goodwill, whether that be appalling PAL conversions, not bringing games here at all, the way the reward system 'worked' here compared to the US and Japan, and now this infuriating lack of intelligence in how they treat their customers.

I want to love Nintendo, I really do, but they just don't deserve it. They are utterly indifferent when it comes to Europe, and I wouldn't trust them to provide any level of service for my money at all.

Please explain why it's NOT implemented in the US or Japan then genius??? :roll:
Gamer1977 5

Postby B_G_G » 10 Dec 2012, 15:51

Gamer1977 wrote:
Please explain why it's NOT implemented in the US or Japan then genius??? :roll:

What? You get that neither of those places are in Europe, right?
B_G_G 51

Postby Simon Carlin » 10 Dec 2012, 15:54

Perhaps all EU logins are hosted in Germany, not the whole world's.

At a guess....
Simon Carlin 25

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 10 Dec 2012, 16:10

Crazy, weird and not that wonderful. Surely some kind of 'one system for germany and one systems for the rest of the EU is in order?'

KK-Headcharge78 62

Xbox Live: Bison VS Mario
PSN ID: slypuss7881

Next