to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

'Phantom Pain' reveal linked to Metal Gear Solid 5

Your comments on our articles.

Growing evidence suggests Kojima could be behind mysterious VGA reveal

Growing evidence is linking mysterious VGA reveal The Phantom Pain to the Metal Gear Solid franchise.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby moogiesboy » 08 Dec 2012, 12:14

Exciting stuff. Kojima you cunning scamp you.
moogiesboy 51

Xbox Live: lazyboyjones
PSN ID: neutronbomb
Battle.net: lazyboyblue

Postby moogiesboy » 08 Dec 2012, 12:17

Would also add that the hexagonal tiling on the floor in the screenshot are very metal gearish.
moogiesboy 51

Xbox Live: lazyboyjones
PSN ID: neutronbomb
Battle.net: lazyboyblue

Postby Lsnake » 08 Dec 2012, 12:22

When I read posts about this before I saw the trailer, I thought people were way too spaced out. After all, Joakim is a proper Swedish name. People had to be grasping at straws. Then I watched the trailer. I agree. This smells Metal Gear miles away. The look of the unnamed main character is so similar that you wouldn't even need to hear the rumors to think it was Snake. The way he wears the bandage like a..Bandana. The Mullet (that could however be due to the long period of time he was out, but still..) screams Snake. Who wears a mullet these days anyway? The sneaking, crawling, the military group..

If this turns out to be what people are guessing, and this Joakim actually IS Kojima, I just have to say that thank god for Kojima. Nobody creates mysteries like Kojima in the industry anymore. In a world so dominated by Internet and leaks, he can still suckerpunch you with a "What the hell is this?". And the industry needs it.
Lsnake 46

Re: 'Phantom Pain' reveal linked to Metal Gear Solid 5

Postby Vhyper » 08 Dec 2012, 12:38

This has also been floating around a few forums as well using the gaps in the title shot at the end of the trailer:

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/187oq9c ... iginal.gif
Vhyper 6
New user

Postby El Mag » 08 Dec 2012, 12:52

Or, in a rumour completely made up by me right now, it's a game staring Abu Hamza which tells of his many life struggles. Such as wiping his arse, picking his nose, playing catch with his puppy Trevor and trying to defeat the infidel NHS.
Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
El Mag 68

Xbox Live: El Maggio
PSN ID: ElMagnifico83

Postby dwhlufc » 08 Dec 2012, 13:03

There was a time when a new MGS game made me giddy with excitement. After MGS4 I'm rather sceptical.
dwhlufc 76

Postby _fezza_84 » 08 Dec 2012, 13:11

Vhyper wrote:This has also been floating around a few forums as well using the gaps in the title shot at the end of the trailer:

http://img.gawkerassets.com/img/187oq9c ... iginal.gif

Fairplay whoever found that. Can't wait for this now!
_fezza_84 4
New user

Postby fatherofthenoo » 08 Dec 2012, 13:18

Lords of Shadow 2, MGS5, Dark Souls 2, GTA5. God I love being a gamer!
Now playing - Trine 2 Director's Cut, Dino Crisis 2, Devil May Cry, The Cave
fatherofthenoo 41

PSN ID: fatherofthenoo
Wii Code: WiiU-fatherofthenoo

Postby fatherofthenoo » 08 Dec 2012, 13:19

dwhlufc wrote:There was a time when a new MGS game made me giddy with excitement. After MGS4 I'm rather sceptical.

Take it back! :evil:
Now playing - Trine 2 Director's Cut, Dino Crisis 2, Devil May Cry, The Cave
fatherofthenoo 41

PSN ID: fatherofthenoo
Wii Code: WiiU-fatherofthenoo

Postby illage2 » 08 Dec 2012, 14:03

IT IS RELATED TO METAL GEAR!

Right you see when The Patriots got Big Bosses DNA he was in a coma. This trailer could be what his mind was going through while under the knife. One thing though that I don't get is Mantis. That doesn't look like Physco Mantis, that looks more like the Mantis Doll from MGS4.

Another thing to note is the Title "The Phantom Pain"

Remove "Phantom" and you've got "The Pain" a member of the Cobras in MGS3.

The Phantom could also be a reference to the quote "From FOX two Phantoms were born". It could al;so be refering to The Sorrow.

Moby Dick Studios doesn't actually exist. Jokaim when you mix the letters around spells "Kojima"

Update: There's a lot of people saying this is hinting at a WW2 setting. This is not true, look at the equipment the soldiers carry, look at the chopper at the end of the trailer. No way they are from WW2.

Another MGS4 reference look at the way the guy is crawling, looks very similar to the way snake crawled through the Microwave oven tunnel in MGS4.

Update 2: A lot of people are also saying that Mantis is in the trailer. This is not true. Mantis might be skinny, but he's not that skinny and he's a lot taller. The "Floating" man looks more like the Sorrow/Mantis Dolls from MGS4. It's not the pain, the pain is too big, and it's not the sorrow for the same reason. However if one looks at who's riding the unicorn, you should be able to see Mantis' Arms (from MGS4). The unicorn it's self could be a representation of The Boss' Horse.

One thing to note is that the trailer shows pain, fear and fury. Which are members of the Cobra unit.

As for the British flag in the hospital, a lot of people are saying that this is a reference to Zero, which is a possibility but everyone has ignored Dr.Strangelove from Peace Walker, she was into AI (and she was British) and it's possible that the whole thing is a VR simulation created by Strange Love.
Last edited by illage2 on 09 Dec 2012, 14:40, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
illage2 54

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Postby Drusus » 08 Dec 2012, 14:46

illage2 wrote:IT IS RELATED TO METAL GEAR!

Right you see when The Patriots got Big Bosses DNA he was in a coma. This trailer could be what his mind was going through while under the knife. One thing though that I don't get is Mantis. That doesn't look like Physco Mantis, that looks more like the Mantis Doll from MGS4.

The harness the lead character is wearing is the same Psycho Mantis wears and the character could be British from the flag on the wall next to him. It's possible he is Psycho Mantis in which case that raises a lot more questions.

I don't care I'm just super happy Metal Gear V is coming.
Drusus 59

Postby Drusus » 08 Dec 2012, 14:52

illage2 wrote:
Moby Dick Studios doesn't actually exist. Jokaim when you mix the letters around spells "Kojima"

Yeah thought I'd add the guys second name also contains Ogre.

Jokaim Mogren
Drusus 59

Postby illage2 » 08 Dec 2012, 14:58

Drusus wrote:
The harness the lead character is wearing is the same Psycho Mantis wears and the character could be British from the flag on the wall next to him. It's possible he is Psycho Mantis in which case that raises a lot more questions.

I don't care I'm just super happy Metal Gear V is coming.

Yeah I noticed that too, but it can't be physcho mantis. Mantis is of Russian decent, he's not British. So far there are only Three British people in MGS.

Zero, Liquid and Strangelove.
Last edited by illage2 on 09 Dec 2012, 14:28, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
illage2 54

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Postby metallicorphan » 08 Dec 2012, 16:09

even the crawling on the ground is reminiscent of MGS4 painful crawl through the Microwave emitters ..or whatever the hell they were
metallicorphan 60

Xbox Live: metallicorphan
PSN ID: metallicorphan
Wii Code: 8008135-111111111

Postby Stryker89 » 08 Dec 2012, 17:46

If you visit IGN's article about this game, they've posted a picture that someone has tampered with. It shows the title at the end of the trailer with several lines above it. The words Metal Gear Solid V clearly fit inside these 'guidelines'.

Also, the quote that illage2 refered to earlier- "From Fox two Phantoms were born"- is far too obvious to ignore. For some reason, my mind wanders back to the first moment you see Liquid control Ocelot in the Tanker sequence of MGS2. He holds his arm (which is actually Liquid's arm) in pain before turning into Liquid. Since it isn't actually Ocelot's arm, this could also be referred to as a 'Phantom Pain'. I may be grasping at straws, but there might be something substantial there.
Stryker89 61

Xbox Live: Olliemar28
PSN ID: Olliemar28

Next