to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Far Cry 3 'no HUD' patch incoming - Ubisoft

Your comments on our articles.

Developer listens to player feedback

Ubisoft has confirmed that it's working on a patch to add adjustable HUD (heads-up display) options to Far Cry 3.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Far Cry 3 'no HUD' patch incoming - Ubisoft

Postby getup2k » 07 Dec 2012, 20:43

Damn it, just polished this amazing game off and wondered if they'd do this. The HUD isn't bad, its just the game is so gorgeous you want to see as much as you can. I can't believe what a good job ubi have done with this game, I was expecting slight improvements to 2 but they absolutely nailed it!
getup2k 46

Re: Far Cry 3 'no HUD' patch incoming - Ubisoft

Postby Two Pennys Worth » 07 Dec 2012, 21:08

getup2k wrote:Damn it, just polished this amazing game off and wondered if they'd do this. The HUD isn't bad, its just the game is so gorgeous you want to see as much as you can. I can't believe what a good job ubi have done with this game, I was expecting slight improvements to 2 but they absolutely nailed it!

Glad to hear, hope i enjoy it as much as you have.
Two Pennys Worth 56

Postby socheeky » 07 Dec 2012, 22:19

getup2k wrote:Damn it, just polished this amazing game off and wondered if they'd do this. The HUD isn't bad, its just the game is so gorgeous you want to see as much as you can. I can't believe what a good job ubi have done with this game, I was expecting slight improvements to 2 but they absolutely nailed it!

Totally agree. I'm only 7 missions in, because have spent several hours securing outposts, climbing towers, murdering wildlife and hunting collectibles. I could spend all day singing its praises - the sun-kissed scenery, changeable enemy AI and those amazing animals are exceptional. Most compelling non-fantasy game world I've been in since GTA 4, but more fun, more varied... more everything. Will snag a few game of the year awards from some of the more obvious contenders, mark my words.
socheeky 40

Postby sonic_uk » 07 Dec 2012, 22:39

So is this a multiplatform patch or just a Pc one? I really like the idea of having the option to hide the hud on 360 (when I eventually get the game for xmas) except for reloading (so I can see my ammo count) or for something important which should appear on screen for a few seconds to give you the information you need and then fade away again. Plenty of games do this (Donkey Kong Country was the first game I played which did this and that was back in the days of the Snes), and I find it helps give you a more immersive experience in a game such as this.
Own...360(Slim), Ps4, Ps3(SuperSlim), Ps2, Ps1, PsVita, XperiaPlay, Gamecube, Snes, Dreamcast, Megadrive, MegaCd 2, Saturn, Gamegear, PC

Owned...Acorn Electron, Atari 2600, Gameboy, Master System, 32x, GBA SP, Xbox, Psp, 360(Premium), Ps3(BC), Wii(BC)
sonic_uk 56

Postby sibear » 07 Dec 2012, 23:18

Totally agree. Far Cry 3 is an amazing open world shooter and I am sinking hours and hours into it, taking all the outposts, doing all the quests and getting all the collectibles. it looks amazing and sounds amazing.
MINOR SPOILER coming up. The mission where you burn the weed fields was beyond perfect. That kickass reggae tune and the subtle graphics effects as the smoke hits you. Plus the protagonists behaviour. Has to be one of my all time fave missions.
The best thing Crytek ever did was drop Far Cry.
sibear 47

Postby metallicorphan » 07 Dec 2012, 23:20

and also work on the patch that lets me pick up the last relic after leaving the first island so i can get 100%(Spider Relic 1),currently stuck on 119 relics and 99% :(
metallicorphan 60

Xbox Live: metallicorphan
PSN ID: metallicorphan
Wii Code: 8008135-111111111

Postby wishface » 08 Dec 2012, 20:53

Open world?

Running around an empty island that is the same throughout?

Good grief people are easily entertained today.
wishface 41

Postby qSPARTANp » 10 Dec 2012, 14:43

THIS had better be coming to consoles aswell! Options, Options, OPTIONS! Give us the choice to turn on/off each element of the HUD! I am REALLY ENJOYING the game but am fed up with the beauty and ambiance being spoiled by stupid HUD elements and Hints! I must say that I am sad to see the map etc not staying as an in-game actiion like Farcry 2, really made me feel a part of the world, its the little things that really draw me into games, Metro 2033 is text book game design! Here are what I find really annoying in this game and other games!
I dont mind a few hints on an opening level, but once you know you can pick weapons, ammo, loot bodies etc you dont need reminding EVERY TIME! For instance every time I use the sniper rifle in Farcry, right in the middle of the scope it says "Click left stick to steady aim" or some s**t, even has a graphic of the thumbstick! Sorry, if you dont know what a thumb stick is you should not be playing the bloomin thing! Now I have a zoom-able scope, I get the first hint AND now "Click right stick to zoom"! Seriously guys, once we know you can steady aim and zoom we dont need reminding! same for every other action you can perform in this game like changing from driver to gunner seat, performing a take-down etc!

FLASHING WEAPONS!
FLASHING BODIES!
FLASHING AMMO!
STOP WITH THE FLASHING!!!!!!!! Game graphics are pretty detailed these days, we dont need flashing, highlights, big arrows etc, lets US find things out through trial and error!
BIG INDICATIONS on screen telling us what to do!
BIG BOXES on screen telling us our current objective! All this can be put in the back menu, letting us set a way point etc is enough!

Again just give us options, I know you are trying to make it so that anybody can pick these games up and know what they are doing, but us people who have played games for years know the score, hell even a novice will get up to speed with the controls etc pretty quick. There is always the instruction manual, there is an instruction manual right?

Rant over!

For now.................

Look out for some maps coming from me, if I can be bothered to play online, there was so much crap onscreen I dont know if my brain and eyes could take it......
qSPARTANp 50

Postby sonic_uk » 10 Dec 2012, 21:19

qSPARTANp wrote:THIS had better be coming to consoles aswell! Options, Options, OPTIONS! Give us the choice to turn on/off each element of the HUD! I am REALLY ENJOYING the game but am fed up with the beauty and ambiance being spoiled by stupid HUD elements and Hints! I must say that I am sad to see the map etc not staying as an in-game actiion like Farcry 2, really made me feel a part of the world, its the little things that really draw me into games, Metro 2033 is text book game design! Here are what I find really annoying in this game and other games!
I dont mind a few hints on an opening level, but once you know you can pick weapons, ammo, loot bodies etc you dont need reminding EVERY TIME! For instance every time I use the sniper rifle in Farcry, right in the middle of the scope it says "Click left stick to steady aim" or some s**t, even has a graphic of the thumbstick! Sorry, if you dont know what a thumb stick is you should not be playing the bloomin thing! Now I have a zoom-able scope, I get the first hint AND now "Click right stick to zoom"! Seriously guys, once we know you can steady aim and zoom we dont need reminding! same for every other action you can perform in this game like changing from driver to gunner seat, performing a take-down etc!

FLASHING WEAPONS!
FLASHING BODIES!
FLASHING AMMO!
STOP WITH THE FLASHING!!!!!!!! Game graphics are pretty detailed these days, we dont need flashing, highlights, big arrows etc, lets US find things out through trial and error!
BIG INDICATIONS on screen telling us what to do!
BIG BOXES on screen telling us our current objective! All this can be put in the back menu, letting us set a way point etc is enough!

Again just give us options, I know you are trying to make it so that anybody can pick these games up and know what they are doing, but us people who have played games for years know the score, hell even a novice will get up to speed with the controls etc pretty quick. There is always the instruction manual, there is an instruction manual right?

Rant over!

For now.................

Look out for some maps coming from me, if I can be bothered to play online, there was so much crap onscreen I dont know if my brain and eyes could take it......

I know that was a huge rant, but the funny thing is I agree with absolutely everything you've said, and most of the things you mentioned (such as the flashing stuff) I wouldn't have even noticed until reading your post!
Own...360(Slim), Ps4, Ps3(SuperSlim), Ps2, Ps1, PsVita, XperiaPlay, Gamecube, Snes, Dreamcast, Megadrive, MegaCd 2, Saturn, Gamegear, PC

Owned...Acorn Electron, Atari 2600, Gameboy, Master System, 32x, GBA SP, Xbox, Psp, 360(Premium), Ps3(BC), Wii(BC)
sonic_uk 56

Postby qSPARTANp » 11 Dec 2012, 15:04

Sorry Sonic, hope I have not spoiled it for you! Glad to hear you agree with me tho!
qSPARTANp 50

Postby sonic_uk » 11 Dec 2012, 21:10

qSPARTANp wrote:Sorry Sonic, hope I have not spoiled it for you! Glad to hear you agree with me tho!

That's cool mate, I'm not getting the game til Xmas, but the things you mentioned have not spoilt the game, they were things you would expect to in included with a game of this type, I've just never thought about it the way you put it across, as I said, well said mate

sonic_uk 56