to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Vita and 3DS facing challenging times, says Activision mobil

Your comments on our articles.

'Ultimately the market will speak to the viability of traditional handhelds'

Greg Canessa, vice president of mobile development for Activision, has said that mobile and tablet devices are posing an increasingly large threat to traditional gaming handhelds like 3DS and Vita.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby brownboy90 » 04 Dec 2012, 17:57

I think out of the two handhelds the Vita will struggle just like the PSP. There is basically no point to it. It's a great bit of kit, BUT... no need for it if you have a PS3. The 3DS will sell well, but I think the next generation of handhelds will need to be though through. Nintendo cannot keep charging the amount it does for games (boxed) and no way charge what they do for digital downloads. They are scamming the public via that route. And their older system downloads needs to be much cheaper. If the ipad mini was any cheaper... that would be the handheld of choice. that is the future! Nintendo... take note! (I've not mentioned Sony coz I believe they won't bother after the VIta crashes and burns).
brownboy90 22

Postby murph_77 » 04 Dec 2012, 18:11

The key is to get the development costs down on the Vita and 3DS which in turn should bring the retail price down. Look at BLOPS 2 on the PS3 / 360 averaging £40 and then you get BLOPS Declassified on the Vita which also has an on the shelf price of £39,99. Hardly stacks up. Who knows what the ultimate answer is but they need to find it as I hate playing games on the iPhone and iPad, I much prefer the Vita and 3DS for mobile gaming hence we have both in our household.
murph_77 45

Re: Vita and 3DS facing challenging times, says Activision m

Postby stealth » 04 Dec 2012, 18:15

And the 3ds is breaking sales records, the ds and psp are breaking sales records, so this guy needs to shut his face
stealth 47

Postby Bambis Dad » 04 Dec 2012, 18:19

stealth wrote:And the 3ds is breaking sales records, the ds and psp are breaking sales records, so this guy needs to shut his face

At the moment but there is nothing to suggest that they can sustain this level indefinitely. Every form of gaming is a luxury and we are in a state of change were it is conceivable that traditional gaming faces its biggest challenges.
Childhood pictures redeem, clean and so serene
See myself without ruining lines
Whole days throwing sticks into streams

I have crawled so far sideways
I recognise dim traces of creation
Bambis Dad 52

Postby Solm » 04 Dec 2012, 18:20

I agree with both posts above, costs need to come down to be near the iTunes/Android. They don't need to match but certainly ps download games should be half the price of console games. I used to hate gaming on the ipad but I'm getting used to it over time and it's not to big a deal for me now. I still perfer Vita gaming over ipad.
PSN ID: Solm67
I'm a father that doesn't want to grow up.
Solm 53

Xbox Live: SOLM
PSN ID: Solm67
Steam: Solm1967

Postby stealth » 04 Dec 2012, 18:22

Bambis Dad wrote:
stealth wrote:And the 3ds is breaking sales records, the ds and psp are breaking sales records, so this guy needs to shut his face

At the moment but there is nothing to suggest that they can sustain this level indefinitely. Every form of gaming is a luxury and we are in a state of change were it is conceivable that traditional gaming faces its biggest challenges.

But as of right now, things are fine. So basically what this media whore is doing, is sturring the pot, trying to get his name out there, and its bS.

The 3ds has sold around 25 million in less than 2 years...........the ds and psp are selling at record paces 8 years later.

The 1 anomoly is the vita, but sony can fix that they just wont.

the original ds sold 300k units on black friday in 1 region, for a 8 year old system. Its ridiculous
stealth 47

Postby Agent75 » 04 Dec 2012, 18:23

When you consider games can cost up to £40, not forgetting DLC (what a rip off...), it's no wonde handheld gaming might decline. The Vita is another Sony joke (up to £200 with a game), but in all fairness, a 3DS XL with a game can cost at much as £200. Handhelds are way too expensive. The 3DS should be £99.99, 3DS XL should cost a bit more, Vita should be under £150. Games for both handhelds shouldn't go over £19.99. But I think there's going to be a crash in gaming any way, as next gen games are going to pip £60.
Agent75 48

Postby stealth » 04 Dec 2012, 18:27

During the last 10 years dedicated handhelds have never ever been stronger. Not ever.

What really gets me is we only here this kind of negative BS from people who never make dedicated handheld games. We always here this from the heads of some spec on the grass mobile studio, who want the attention.

Is this what this magazine is going to be like?

Mobile devs hating on dedicated handhelds, and of course because this is a bias ios magazine, they cant even fight back with counter opinions.
stealth 47

Postby shev » 04 Dec 2012, 18:37

brownboy90 wrote:There is basically no point to it. It's a great bit of kit, BUT... no need for it if you have a PS3... If the ipad mini was any cheaper... that would be the handheld of choice. that is the future! Nintendo... take note! (I've not mentioned Sony coz I believe they won't bother after the VIta crashes and burns).

I have a vita and I disagree with that there ain't any point to it if you have a ps3. It's always nice to be able to play on the go (I play it surely 1 hour on the bus/day) but there are indeed some ports which feel a bit unnecessary. There are however a few great games like littlebigplanet vita and gravity rush which truly simply wouldn't be possible on any other platform. I do also like to play some small games on my nexus 7 but even if the those games are fun their own sense you can't really compare them to vita games. It's simply a different experience and I believe that as long as handhelds can provide a unique experience, there will be a market for them.

It is though, like you say, quite apparent that the vita won't sell very well in the long run. I do however not think that Sony will stop bothering with handheld games, I simply think that they will just merge their next generation's portable with their phones with something like this http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KwjBWDhm9xU&feature=plcp.
shev 46

Postby stealth » 04 Dec 2012, 18:42

^ they wont merge, it defeats the purpose.

Its like saying, lets merge consoles tvs.
stealth 47

Postby TheLastDodo » 04 Dec 2012, 18:44

I agree with him, to an extent.

If I fancy a quick 10-15 minute gaming sesh and I can't have a quick blast of FIFA on PS3 then I tend to take out my phone and I play a bit of Bejeweled, Triple Town, Super Hexagon, Hero Academy or Plants v Zombies and that's with my 3DS been only a few feet away from me.

I'm not saying 69p games are the future but, for me at least, they provide worthwhile experiences in their own right. Would I play them for 6 hours straight? No but I wouldn't stick Skyrim in my 360 for ten minutes either. Gaming is big enough for them to co-exist nicely.

It's not a case of saying handhelds are doomed, they'll continue to have a place in gaming and deservedly so but the landscape has changed to the point that they need to do more than just offer the same experiences they did ten years ago if they want to appeal to more than the "core".

That's my unpopular two cents anyway.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 04 Dec 2012, 18:44

stealth wrote:During the last 10 years dedicated handhelds have never ever been stronger. Not ever.

What really gets me is we only here this kind of negative BS from people who never make dedicated handheld games. We always here this from the heads of some spec on the grass mobile studio, who want the attention.

Is this what this magazine is going to be like?

Mobile devs hating on dedicated handhelds, and of course because this is a bias ios magazine, they cant even fight back with counter opinions.

Yeah but it won't do much good old traditionalists hating/offering simplistic bitching on the new pretenders either will it? I'm inclined to think this guy has a lot more visibility to the future of handhelds than you do. From a personal view the current Ninty, Sony etc handhelds needs to wake up and smell the coffee and get the quality up and prices down. Take the Vita, great technical kit but arguably floating like a sinking ship due to poor 3rd party support, lacking a glut of top games and the high price. It's easy to be ignorant now to the challenges of the future and is usually what kills off those machines/devices which are unwilling to adapt to the evolving market.

KK-Headcharge78 62

Xbox Live: Bison VS Mario
PSN ID: slypuss7881

Postby discodave11 » 04 Dec 2012, 18:55

murph_77 wrote:The key is to get the development costs down on the Vita and 3DS which in turn should bring the retail price down. Look at BLOPS 2 on the PS3 / 360 averaging £40 and then you get BLOPS Declassified on the Vita which also has an on the shelf price of £39,99. Hardly stacks up. Who knows what the ultimate answer is but they need to find it as I hate playing games on the iPhone and iPad, I much prefer the Vita and 3DS for mobile gaming hence we have both in our household.

Plus Blops on the Vita was complete p**s for the same price!
discodave11 11
New user

Postby stealth » 04 Dec 2012, 18:58

"'m inclined to think this guy has a lot more visibility to the future of handhelds than you do."
Im inclinded that square, atlus, nintendo, sony are alot more intune to the future of handhelds than I am

Also it rings hollow when every handheld but 1 on the market is breaking some kind of speed sales record

@dodo

Those same experiences 10 years ago are still deeper than what you can get on a phone
stealth 47

Postby dwhlufc » 04 Dec 2012, 19:16

TheLastDodo wrote:I agree with him, to an extent.

If I fancy a quick 10-15 minute gaming sesh and I can't have a quick blast of FIFA on PS3 then I tend to take out my phone and I play a bit of Bejeweled, Triple Town, Super Hexagon, Hero Academy or Plants v Zombies and that's with my 3DS been only a few feet away from me.

I'm not saying 69p games are the future but, for me at least, they provide worthwhile experiences in their own right. Would I play them for 6 hours straight? No but I wouldn't stick Skyrim in my 360 for ten minutes either. Gaming is big enough for them to co-exist nicely.

It's not a case of saying handhelds are doomed, they'll continue to have a place in gaming and deservedly so but the landscape has changed to the point that they need to do more than just offer the same experiences they did ten years ago if they want to appeal to more than the "core".

That's my unpopular two cents anyway.
this.
dwhlufc 75

Next