to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Steam Big Picture mode exits beta, goes public with celebrat

Your comments on our articles.

Valve launches new Steam sale to celebrate

Steam's TV-friendly Big Picture mode has moved out of beta and is now available to all.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Steam Big Picture mode exits beta, goes public with celebrat

Postby fatgangsta » 03 Dec 2012, 22:41

Prime for xbox use or Ps3 use?
fatgangsta 40

Re: Steam Big Picture mode exits beta, goes public with cele

Postby tmulford » 04 Dec 2012, 00:18

Nevermind PS3 or XBox. With this any PC or Mac connected to a TV becomes a Steam console. Makes building a decent Home Theatre PC a very tempting option.
tmulford 58

Postby totakeke » 04 Dec 2012, 00:38

I beta's this and connected my pc up via wireless HDMI. Playing Skyrim and Sleeping dogs on full detail, full surround and on a big telly was definitely worth the setup hassle. It's a good UI and it works really well with a wireless controller
totakeke 55

Xbox Live: Nanotramp
PSN ID: Nanotramp
Steam: sh3man278

Postby Jingee » 04 Dec 2012, 00:42

There you go all the people who were wanting to play games on a big TV rather than a small computer screen. Once you get used to typing with a controller in this way is amazing, much faster than on a PS3 or a 360.
Jingee 50

Postby ted1138 » 04 Dec 2012, 01:13

Jingee wrote:There you go all the people who were wanting to play games on a big TV rather than a small computer screen. Once you get used to typing with a controller in this way is amazing, much faster than on a PS3 or a 360.

Does it support the 360 controller keyboard?

btw, very impressed with the interface. hands down, it's much more attractive than either Sony or MS's. Hooked up my 360 pad for the first time in ages, and really wanted to boot up some games again... :D
"People mistake the past for the present and they also mistake the present for the future"
Ken Levine
ted1138 61

Postby HelloLadies » 04 Dec 2012, 07:18

Jingee wrote:There you go all the people who were wanting to play games on a big TV rather than a small computer screen. [b[Once you get used to typing with a controller in this way is amazing, much faster than on a PS3 or a 360.[/b]

Better still just get yourself one of these to go with your 360 or other 3rd party controller and you're set.

http://www.logitech.com/en-au/product/d ... ni?crid=26
HelloLadies 51

Postby funkyjack » 04 Dec 2012, 16:11

I'm generally quite happy playing my PC via my desk. My chair is very comfy and with my 24" ultrasharp screen I'm pretty happy with the picture quality / size. However from a purely geeky "wouldn't this be cool" point of view, I'd love to play my PC from my couch. My problem is that my PC and large screen TV are at other ends of the house. Is there any feasible way to view/control my PC remotely via my TV and thus truley benefit from Steam Big Picture? I really don't fancy moving my desktop PC to my lounge.
He who nades, always wins...
funkyjack 60

Xbox Live: Chimera Six
PSN ID: D1RTYRAT
Steam: C3ll_DirtyRat

Postby Jingee » 04 Dec 2012, 18:42

funkyjack wrote:I'm generally quite happy playing my PC via my desk. My chair is very comfy and with my 24" ultrasharp screen I'm pretty happy with the picture quality / size. However from a purely geeky "wouldn't this be cool" point of view, I'd love to play my PC from my couch. My problem is that my PC and large screen TV are at other ends of the house. Is there any feasible way to view/control my PC remotely via my TV and thus truley benefit from Steam Big Picture? I really don't fancy moving my desktop PC to my lounge.

Wireless HDMI is your best bet.
Jingee 50