Devs want Remember Me to 'stand out' from white male hero st

Your comments on our articles.

Plus, Paris studio Dontnod reveals that four publishers wanted to sign the new IP

A mixed-race female stars in Capcom's upcoming action title Remember Me to distance it from the excesses of white male hero stereotypes, the game's creative lead has said.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Devs want Remember Me to 'stand out' from white male hero st

Postby ninja-key » 27 Nov 2012, 13:21

'Devs want Remember Me to 'stand out' from white male hero stereotype'
Isn't that a tad racist.
ninja-key 54

Xbox Live: Thekey08
PSN ID: ninja-key

Re: Devs want Remember Me to 'stand out' from white male her

Postby slamatron » 27 Nov 2012, 13:41

ninja-key wrote:'Devs want Remember Me to 'stand out' from white male hero stereotype'
Isn't that a tad racist.

not even a little bit
slamatron 51

Xbox Live: slamatron
PSN ID: slamatron

Postby koimaster » 27 Nov 2012, 13:56

And the problem with white male heroes is?

I wouldn't have a problem with the fact they are using mixed race girl as a lead character, it's the facts they are specifically drawing attention to it. Who the hell cares. If your game is s**t it doesn't matter what colour skin the lead character has.
koimaster 35

Postby Black Mantis » 27 Nov 2012, 14:00

Have to commend them on this, the situation is becoming a joke. If it's not the Alan Wake/Nathan Drake look, it's usually the inFamous dude buzz-cut look.
Black Mantis 67

Postby Imaduck » 27 Nov 2012, 14:09

If they'd stop going on about all their "look at us aren't we different" bullshit and worked on f**king the game it might be good. As it is, I reckon it'll end up pc s**t.
Imaduck 58

Postby FishyGinger » 27 Nov 2012, 14:10

koimaster wrote:
I wouldn't have a problem with the fact they are using mixed race girl as a lead character, it's the facts they are specifically drawing attention to it. Who the hell cares. If your game is s**t it doesn't matter what colour skin the lead character has.

Agreed, having whatever for a lead is fine but it feels like a check list just to get noticed. Whats far away from white male....eh mixed race female...Don't need to advertise it on this basis.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 71

Postby HelloLadies » 27 Nov 2012, 14:23

Not good enough. I want a mixed race, female dwarf, transgender in a souped up wheel chair.

On a serious note, I also agree that the game actually needs to be quality for this 'stand out' talk to mean anything. What they are trying to do is not a bad thing though.
HelloLadies 53

Postby gympion » 27 Nov 2012, 14:25

mixed race yes.

Also… young, attractive, perfect hair/makeup/body, sexy stylish skin-tight clothes, and seductive bottom wiggle walking animation. I really don't think you could design a much more generic looking female game character to be honest :roll:

Watching the gameplay preview video of this the game looks decent but it also looks totally derivative. The script / voice acting couldn’t get more full of gaming clichés if it tried.

Not saying the game looks bad it just really doesn’t look that different or original
gympion 42

Postby Stan_Goodspeed » 27 Nov 2012, 14:30

I've got mixed feelings about this.
Stan_Goodspeed 62

Xbox Live: Boffitchev
PSN ID: Spencer_Trilby

Postby TheCrimsonFenix » 27 Nov 2012, 14:48

They can have it stand out all they want but what good is a female character if her story and character isn't any better than that of a male lead? She best have something going for her other than her tits. Standing out is no better than going with the crowd if that's the only reason you're doing it.
Hatspank

Has the hots for: Several friends, that quiet brunette down the street, Kai from Heavenly Sword, sonic_uk, Multiplayerking, Doug, and probably your sister and/or mother.
TheCrimsonFenix 70

PSN ID: Crimson-Phoenixx

Postby richomack360 » 27 Nov 2012, 14:54

So this game has gone for a mixed raced character to stand out ? Ermmm......can think of a few games that have done it before.

What I am getting from this man is this "I have picked a female, mixed raced, to play the lead as I WANT to be known as a pioneer and people think of me as being different, because that is cool isn't it?" Haven't heard much about the game, so it must be pants if this is all they are concentrating on

Conceptual Bell-End.

Don't remember the hoo-hah when people picked up San Andreas ?
Fanboys of CVG Forums. This is the law. Disperse immediately, or we will use lethal force to clear the area. You have been warned. You now have 20 posts to comply.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360
Steam: richomack360

Postby freds1 » 27 Nov 2012, 15:01

Playing as a human again? How generic...all they do is walk or run on two feet, one in front of the other. Shooting guns, talking, trying to look badass. BORING!

How's about a game playing as a wolf, or a panther? Soaring through the skies as an eagle?

My point is it's always the same thing, controlling a human (male/female, black/white, you're still human it doesn't really matter) so them touting this as different simply because in this it's a mixed race female that can't do anything different from any other race seems a little desperate to me. How about doing something different with the gameplay? That's what I'd be more excited about.
ヽ(゜∇゜)ノ Eeeeyyyy sexy laaaaaadyyyy
ヘ( ̄ー ̄ヘ) Op
(ノ ̄ー ̄)ノ Op
(〜 ̄▽ ̄)〜 Op
〜( ̄△ ̄〜) Op
(☞゚∀゚)☞ Oppa Gangnam Style
freds1 57

Postby FishyGinger » 27 Nov 2012, 15:09

freds1 wrote:Playing as a human again? How generic...all they do is walk or run on two feet, one in front of the other. Shooting guns, talking, trying to look badass. BORING!

How's about a game playing as a wolf, or a panther? Soaring through the skies as an eagle?

My point is it's always the same thing, controlling a human (male/female, black/white, you're still human it doesn't really matter) so them touting this as different simply because in this it's a mixed race female that can't do anything different from any other race seems a little desperate to me. How about doing something different with the gameplay? That's what I'd be more excited about.

We've had wolf and eagle. Not sure I remember any giraffe protagonists though.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 71

Postby brownboy90 » 27 Nov 2012, 15:32

I think if you are putting in a character for the reason of not wanting to put a character in because they are white, then than is racist. It's like giving someone black a job for the sole reason they are black and make the company look like they are being fair... and not based on them best person for the job, regardless of their skin colour. I agree though that with characters they do help if you are playing with someone you can relate too. I did like San Andreas because I had nothing in common with the main character or where he came from. Was not interested at all. Though Metroid you have a female character, BUT she is covered in a suit and you forget that, so I was fine with it. Even though I am not a woman. I think the answer to this is let the player make a character of their own. After all... it's an extension of them in the game By the way.. I don't feel there are enough white people in the black panthers! They should place some white people at the top of that organization.....
brownboy90 24

Postby brownboy90 » 27 Nov 2012, 15:34

ninja-key wrote:'Devs want Remember Me to 'stand out' from white male hero stereotype'
Isn't that a tad racist.

Yes = If you are white.
No = If you are not.
brownboy90 24

Next