'Steep console decline' triggers mass layoffs at 007 Legends

Your comments on our articles.

UK studio shifts focus to mobile; Just 50 staff remain

Eurocom, the longstanding UK studio most recently responsible for the Activision title 007 Legends, has undergone a wide-ranging redundancy operation.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby Demigod001 » 23 Nov 2012, 14:04

Its a shame that this happens in this industry. But costs have gone up with equipment, software and particularly team sizes. It is unsustainable despite Epic devs saying teams will double in size for next gen to do so would make no game profitable. The game s cost too much as it is (imho) but cant be sold profitably for less. How can game that sells a million is a failure when five/ ten years ago it would have been a wild success? Simply because it cost to much to make and market .

Something in this industry will have to change. I have no idea what though.
Demigod001 40

Postby FishyGinger » 23 Nov 2012, 14:06

steep decline in demand for console games

Yeah that was it. Definitely not releasing a rubbish game for activision.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 71

Postby Moribundman » 23 Nov 2012, 14:12

I'm sure the devs of Codblops, Halo, Assassins Creed and Hitman would agree that they can't shift any units for love nor money...

Sad to see these guys out of jobs but if Legends had been Goldeneye (N64) for the current gen, I'm pretty sure it would have sold through the roof. Unfortunately, the likes of Call of Duty and Halo are GoldenEye for the current gen and Legends was a bit poo and didn't even let players play the end of the single player campaign game they'd just bought due to cynical marketeers "fast buck" approach to releasing a cash in movie title but not wanting to spoil the new movies plot.

I have played movie cash ins from the Speccy through to the 360 and I don't think the movie plot's ever been spoiled before. I have had to download "should have been in the box" DLC and that's annoyed me on occasion, and in those cases the DLC was optional NOT THE END OF THE GAME (ME3 excluded). Which is the lesser of these two evils?
"if you dont like it do one elsewhere. stop getting up in arms as someone doesnt agree with you." - svd_grasshopper
Moribundman 51

Xbox Live: Moribundman
PSN ID: Moribundman
Steam: Moribundman

Re: 'Steep console decline' triggers mass layoffs at 007 Leg

Postby dwhlufc » 23 Nov 2012, 14:16

I thought the dlc was free?

I do think it was stupid to not include it on the disc though, would of been easier to hold the game back an extra week.
dwhlufc 76

Postby IAmTheWalrus » 23 Nov 2012, 14:45

When you release a mediocre film-tie game it tends not to sell. No "steep decline in console sales". :roll:

It is unfortunate that people lost their jobs though.
IAmTheWalrus 21

Postby benedictm » 23 Nov 2012, 14:45

wouldn't /making sub standard games' be a more honest reason?
benedictm 40

Postby billysastard » 23 Nov 2012, 14:53

FishyGinger wrote:

well i'm sure the fact it was crap probably helped that steep decline.

billysastard 62

Xbox Live: ImpaledGryphon
PSN ID: Impaled-Gryphon
Wii Code: wiiu-ImpaledGryphon
Steam: ImpaledGryphon

Postby chrisw92 » 23 Nov 2012, 14:57

I think everyone saw that coming, Its tough to make games when only the top 10 of the year really sell. Its worse when you have a publisher wanting a game to be made a month before they even thought about the game idea, and to get things done fast you move quality aside. Good things take time, and nobody has time any more.

Its a very unstable time to be in the industry, I don't see it picking up anytime soon when we hit the next gen either unfortunately.
chrisw92 38

Postby TheLastDodo » 23 Nov 2012, 16:16

Binns suggested that it was the "steep decline in demand for console games" that had resulted in the studio losing out on a number of potential deals with publishers.

Hogwash.

Could point out many games this year that prove otherwise, one example been Borderlands 2 that sold 5 million already, took the original over two years to make it to that.

Lets not forget that new IP's like Dragons Dogma, Amalur, Dishonored and Sleeping Dogs have been relatively successful too.

Can't say it's just people buying established brands either, it's a James Bond game, you don't get much more established than James fricking Bond.

What you could say is that Legends wasn't a good game and that Activision don't care about anything bar CoD and Skylanders.
TheLastDodo 77

Postby dwhlufc » 23 Nov 2012, 16:23

Well said, Dodo.

When we eventually receive a good 007 game I'm pretty sure it'll sell extremely well. I just doubt we'll get one while Activision hold the licence.
dwhlufc 76

Postby Reegeee » 23 Nov 2012, 16:28

I hate to say it but it was only when Eurocom got the license this gen that the games became really s**t IMO. Treyarchs Quantum of Solace and bizarre creations Bloodstone where both pretty good games I thought. I tried to play Goldeneye reloaded but I had to give up on it as I thought it was absolutely awful. I hated that game so much.

It's sad, especially as they are based in the UK, but they made two turkeys in a row and so I guess that's just how it goes.

No one will want to touch the bond license now that it has killed two devs in succession. I wish Ubisoft would get it. The new direction Splinter Cell/Ghost Recon went in where perfect templates for a Bond game.
Reegeee 74

Xbox Live: reegeee
PSN ID: reegeee
Steam: reegeee

Postby Down with robots » 23 Nov 2012, 16:29

FishyGinger wrote:

I'm sure it is just an amazing coincidence, Activision hate to see people lose their jobs...
Down with robots 52

Postby ensabahnur » 23 Nov 2012, 17:36

Aye steep decline, thats it. Thats why Halo 4 and Cod break first day sales records. Nothing to do with rushing 2 COD clones out the door to meet your dreadlord's demands and the 2nd one having the end of the game chopped off as DLC and then staggering the release of it per format.
"Your taste buds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!"
ensabahnur 68

Xbox Live: Sk1dmark 76
PSN ID: FLANGEMAN
Steam: Ensabahnur

Postby alan666 » 23 Nov 2012, 19:25

Make good games & people will buy them, yes it really is that simple.
used to own - NES, Atari ST, Amiga 500, Mega Drive, SNK Neo Geo, SNES, Saturn, N64, PS2, GameCube, Alienware Aurora.
currently own - PS1, Xbox, Xbox360 + Kinect, Wii, PS3 + MOVE, 3DS, Games PC, Wii U.
alan666 55

Xbox Live: B1G A1AN
Steam: full_life_666
Battle.net: Origin + full_life_666
xFire: 3DS + 0087-2285-0027

Postby darry » 23 Nov 2012, 20:14

Binns suggested that it was the "steep decline in demand for console games" that had resulted in the studio losing out on a number of potential deals with publishers.

Wait a second, let me fix that for you.

Binns suggested that it was the "steep decline in demand for our console games" that had resulted in the studio losing out on a number of potential deals with publishers.

There y'are.
darry 55

Next