Dizzy creators Kickstarting new adventure

Your comments on our articles.

Blitz Games to develop Dizzy Returns for iOS, if funded

Philip and Andrew Oliver, creators of egg-headed Codemasters icon Dizzy, are seeking funding for a new adventure on Kickstarter.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Dizzy creators Kickstarting new adventure

Postby brookie_2001 » 23 Nov 2012, 11:51

I love Dizzy and would love to see a new game but £350,000 for a iOS, PC title. Seems pretty steep.
brookie_2001 62

Re: Dizzy creators Kickstarting new adventure

Postby ElWaster » 23 Nov 2012, 12:26

Not sure the Dizzy formula would fit with today's gamers.
I loved the old dizzy back in the day, but replaying Yolk Folk earlier this year I wasn't convinced. So much available to do in games today I don't think Dizzy would hold up, unless of course they took an entirely new direction with it...
ElWaster 46

Postby AvatarIII » 23 Nov 2012, 12:50

There's a much cheaper dizzy-like game on KS at the moment that only has a £5000 goal, and is only just over half way and it only has 6 days to go http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/409 ... puds-quest ... so I don't have a lot of hope for dizzy to get as much as 350k. We'll see though

PSN ID: AvatarIII
Steam: AvatarIII

Postby Welsh Jester » 23 Nov 2012, 13:25

Would be nice, i can hear those speccy tunes now.. though they should release for digital download on Vita/3DS as well.

All they need to do is make sure it's a long game, i never completed any of the original ones but looking on youtube you can finish them in around 20-30 minutes which is very short by todays standards. But, that's with knowing where to get all the items from as well.
Welsh Jester 48

PSN ID: PerfectChaos

Postby nologo » 23 Nov 2012, 13:39

brookie_2001 wrote:I love Dizzy and would love to see a new game but £350,000 for a iOS, PC title. Seems pretty steep.

i thought exactly the same.. what a joke
psn: zell71
wow server: Vashj-EU
Jetsetwilly Gnome Warrior
nologo 47

Postby togrtc » 23 Nov 2012, 18:06

Think if i am going to back any Kickstarter around at the moment Godus would be the one.

Anyway didn't someone else just make a DIzzy game not long ago and it was a fail. I am all for nostalgia but if i want to play dizzy i would want to play Treasure Island or Fast Food :)
togrtc 18

Postby Madbrit2K5 » 23 Nov 2012, 22:33

A new Dizzy :D !! Dam those games drove me mad...but in a good way.
It's a lot of money but not when you compare it to other dev projects.
Very tempted....just hope all these kickstarter project don't crash and burn!
Madbrit2K5 28

Postby Megatrons_Fury » 24 Nov 2012, 01:09

Congratulations to the twins who have superbly missed their target audience in every single possible way.

Whilst i would love a new dizzy game in every single possible way, to fund a project for a PC and IOS game is utter madness. Dizzy games need precise controls at key times so using a damn mobile phone touch screen will suck, the recent remake IOS got was very average due completely to controls. Whilst its cool to do a pc game porting this game to something like XBLA and the PSN could mean you get it out for a much bigger audience, an audience that remember your games because they grew up with them and then through the natural evolution of their life went from playing spectrum's and c64's etc to getting consoles all the way upto the modern stuff.

You guys whack this onto XBLA indie games at say 80g-240g, hell even at 400g and it sells insane amounts, DIZZY games fit the indie game scene like a damn glove. Theres that OOZE game on there right now thats in 4 seperate paths and its shifted tons of copies.

Im going to keep the kickstarter page bookmarked to see how this goes because honestly and with no outright offence meant i can't see any way this gets to 350,000 for the style of game and very limited formats.
Megatrons_Fury 51

Postby Fogmeister » 24 Nov 2012, 10:47

brookie_2001 wrote:I love Dizzy and would love to see a new game but £350,000 for a iOS, PC title. Seems pretty steep.

350k for a new game is really nothing.

For a couple of examples.

Warcraft 2 cost around $750k to make.
Diablo 2 was somewhere between $6 and 9 million.
Games like COD cost over $30 million!

£350k (around $600k) for a computer game really isn't a big budget at all.
Fogmeister 1
New user

Postby Megatrons_Fury » 24 Nov 2012, 15:44

Fogmeister wrote:

350k for a new game is really nothing.

For a couple of examples.

Warcraft 2 cost around $750k to make.
Diablo 2 was somewhere between $6 and 9 million.
Games like COD cost over $30 million!

£350k (around $600k) for a computer game really isn't a big budget at all.

350K is small fries for a modern game however Dizzy is not a modern game.

Modern games with 3D engines cost more due to licensing deals for rights and most expensive factors include voice actors and motion capture technologies.

A new single screen flip adventure game such as dizzy has absolutely none of these expenses at all. Hand drawn graphics for a game with say 150 unique screens wont take that long using modern graphics tablets as shown in the video itself.

Warcraft 2 would have had ages spent on computer AI for the battles etc, again dizzy has none of these, enemies go left to right, up to down etc etc its one of the most simplistic style of games genres there is, its why most of the early spectrum,c64 and amstrad games used a similar template and why a small team of 2-5 people could churn them out so quickly each year plus other projects.

Theres a guy also on Kickstarter making a game completely identical to this new Dizzy remake called SPUDS QUEST By Chris D it looks amazing in every way, is for PC and consoles etc, has demos available to play already and all he needs is 5,000. Sure he is already at 70% project completion but it shows that the Oliver Twins 350,000 budget shows a complete lack of project management, bad mathematics or incompetence.

As i said before the Dizzy game has missed completely its target audience and is hugely over budgeted.....FAIL

Contribute to Chris D instead, he's done something amazing all on his own and it deserves to get a shot.
Megatrons_Fury 51

Postby Skullet » 25 Nov 2012, 09:13

Megatrons_Fury wrote:

350K is small fries for a modern game however Dizzy is not a modern game.

Modern games with 3D engines cost more due to licensing deals for rights and most expensive factors include voice actors and motion capture technologies.

A new single screen flip adventure game such as dizzy has absolutely none of these expenses at all. Hand drawn graphics for a game with say 150 unique screens wont take that long using modern graphics tablets as shown in the video itself.

Warcraft 2 would have had ages spent on computer AI for the battles etc, again dizzy has none of these, enemies go left to right, up to down etc etc its one of the most simplistic style of games genres there is, its why most of the early spectrum,c64 and amstrad games used a similar template and why a small team of 2-5 people could churn them out so quickly each year plus other projects.

Theres a guy also on Kickstarter making a game completely identical to this new Dizzy remake called SPUDS QUEST By Chris D it looks amazing in every way, is for PC and consoles etc, has demos available to play already and all he needs is 5,000. Sure he is already at 70% project completion but it shows that the Oliver Twins 350,000 budget shows a complete lack of project management, bad mathematics or incompetence.

As i said before the Dizzy game has missed completely its target audience and is hugely over budgeted.....FAIL

Contribute to Chris D instead, he's done something amazing all on his own and it deserves to get a shot.

I'd settle for nothing less than motion capture and quality voice acting in a new Dizzy game, at the very least they could get a guy in an egg suit to jump around in a motion capture studio.
Skullet 62