to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

HMV 'secures extra stock' for Wii U midnight launch

Your comments on our articles.

Free copy of New Super Mario Bros U for first 100 in queue

HMV will host the official Wii U midnight launch in Oxford Street, the company has confirmed.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

HMV 'secures extra stock' for Wii U midnight launch

Postby ricflair » 23 Nov 2012, 11:43

I wonder if the slightly underwhelming US launch has effected preorders over here if HMV are able to somehow magic extra stock from somewhere.

I did a midnight launch for the Wii and I'm never doing it again. It took about four hours to queue, I could earn more money than NSMBU costs, even at HMV's instore prices! I've had my preorder at HMV Oxford St since September, so I will be really annoyed if they haven't got me a copy when I get it on Friday morning.
Woo
ricflair 76

Xbox Live: Ric Flair78
PSN ID: RicFlair78
Steam: RicFlair78
Battle.net: Wii U: RicFlair

Re: HMV 'secures extra stock' for Wii U midnight launch

Postby goggy » 23 Nov 2012, 12:43

ricflair wrote:I wonder if the slightly underwhelming US launch has effected preorders over here if HMV are able to somehow magic extra stock from somewhere.

I did a midnight launch for the Wii and I'm never doing it again. It took about four hours to queue, I could earn more money than NSMBU costs, even at HMV's instore prices! I've had my preorder at HMV Oxford St since September, so I will be really annoyed if they haven't got me a copy when I get it on Friday morning.

Haven't read anywhere about an underwhelming launch in the US.

I think it's doing quite well tbh.

It's also got a higher software attachment rate than what the Wii had , so I'm sure Ninty will be quite happy.

Can't wait to get mine next week. Looking forward to a bit of Mario and Zombi u, might even pick up Blops, as it looks like the definitive version ;p
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwMdcESljqg - Still the greatest E3 reveal ever!!!
goggy 50

Postby flyfletch » 23 Nov 2012, 13:46

30k for launch in the UK? Are Nintendo having a laugh? Or is this another, lets create a shortage gimmick so we can pretend its flying of the shelves, thus making people believe they need it?? Who can blame them though, it worked before :wink:
flyfletch 71

Postby dwhlufc » 23 Nov 2012, 13:56

I can't understand how they've set a target of 5.5 million for march with such small stock numbers.
dwhlufc 75

Postby ricflair » 23 Nov 2012, 14:03

goggy wrote:
ricflair wrote:I wonder if the slightly underwhelming US launch has effected preorders over here if HMV are able to somehow magic extra stock from somewhere.

Haven't read anywhere about an underwhelming launch in the US.

I think it's doing quite well tbh.

It's also got a higher software attachment rate than what the Wii had , so I'm sure Ninty will be quite happy.

Can't wait to get mine next week. Looking forward to a bit of Mario and Zombi u, might even pick up Blops, as it looks like the definitive version ;p

When I say underwhelming I don't mean sales. I mean the stories about the lack of power that have come to light since it released in the US, the problems with the slow OS, the large update, slightly shoddy ports etc.
Woo
ricflair 76

Postby damoxuk » 23 Nov 2012, 16:50

Only 30k and still it's easy to pre-order it. Maybe the high price in Europe due to no RRP is to blame?
damoxuk 54

Xbox Live: damoxuk
PSN ID: damoxuk
Steam: damoxuk

Postby shadowsblaze » 23 Nov 2012, 19:43

ricflair wrote:
When I say underwhelming I don't mean sales. I mean the stories about the lack of power that have come to light since it released in the US, the problems with the slow OS, the large update, slightly shoddy ports etc.

I don't know why people are coming out with this. Both the 360 and PS3 had shoddy ports on release and up to 12 months after launch. People also omplained about the seemingly lack of power following the the release of launch titles like Perfect Dark 0, but look at what the 360 has acheived in that time. And let's not forget the PS3 released a half finished version of Motorstorm with the most basic functions (time attack) having to be added several weeks after it's release via a patch. Every console at launch has it's issues. The only people who would seem to complain are those who either have rose tinted specs with regards to the release of the 360 and PS3 or those who have deluded themselves into believing the Wii U will be the best launch ever.
shadowsblaze 55

Postby ricflair » 23 Nov 2012, 20:00

shadowsblaze wrote:
ricflair wrote:

I don't know why people are coming out with this. Both the 360 and PS3 had shoddy ports on release and up to 12 months after launch. People also omplained about the seemingly lack of power following the the release of launch titles like Perfect Dark 0, but look at what the 360 has acheived in that time. And let's not forget the PS3 released a half finished version of Motorstorm with the most basic functions (time attack) having to be added several weeks after it's release via a patch. Every console at launch has it's issues. The only people who would seem to complain are those who either have rose tinted specs with regards to the release of the 360 and PS3 or those who have deluded themselves into believing the Wii U will be the best launch ever.

Yes. But the Wii U was assumed to be more powerful as it's a newer machine. I'm not saying it's s**t and I've defended it loads, and am really looking forward to it, but there were quite a few disappointments that came to light that weren't known before the release in the USA.

Just because other systems had troubled launches, it doesn't mean the Wii U's wasnt also troubled - it may put people off, I don't know.
Woo
ricflair 76