to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Metro: Last Light devs call Wii U "horrible, slow"

Your comments on our articles.

Last Light port unlikely for now, but spokesperson says it is technically possible

The chief technical officer at Metro: Last Light developer 4A has described the Wii U's CPU as "horrible" and "slow" when asked whether the title would be ported to Nintendo's new console.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Metro: Last Light devs call Wii U "horrible, slow"

Postby Jingee » 21 Nov 2012, 01:06

Poor THQ. It's a shame they took the decision to have their big titles come out in the new year.
Jingee 50

Re: Metro: Last Light devs call Wii U

Postby stealth » 21 Nov 2012, 02:19

1) This dev went bankrupt for making bad games. Lets keep that in mind

2) Hes right, the cpu is slower, but the gpu is about 10x what youll find in a ps3, and with about 4x the ram you can do even better things if you plan AROUND THAT.

If your trying to do a quick and dirty port, its not going to work out so well.
stealth 47

Postby You shlaaaag » 21 Nov 2012, 02:33

Maybe 4A should try optimizing their games before blaming the hardware.
You shlaaaag 37

Postby thelazyone » 21 Nov 2012, 02:39

stealth wrote:1) This dev went bankrupt for making bad games. Lets keep that in mind

2) Hes right, the cpu is slower, but the gpu is about 10x what youll find in a ps3, and with about 4x the ram you can do even better things if you plan AROUND THAT.

But if the gpu and the ram is so high, why make the cpu slower than whats already out there?? that I dont simply understand.
"Video Games are bad for you? That's what they said about Rock 'N' Roll" - Shigeru Miyamoto
thelazyone 57

Xbox Live: HyperSinperPOW
PSN ID: Googie_1
Wii Code: WiiU- 2hathuddas

Postby stealth » 21 Nov 2012, 02:42

^ If only I worked for nintendo I could give you an answer.

But in general Ive been through enough launches to know people will do ANYTHING, to tear down a system.

For the ps3, it was valve calling the system s**t. For the 360, it was the rrod.

The best thing to do is ride out this wave of hatred and eventually it will subside.
stealth 47

Postby Fr33Kye » 21 Nov 2012, 02:56

stealth wrote:1) This dev went bankrupt for making bad games. Lets keep that in mind

This dev didnt go bankrupt for making bad games. This is just the developers of last light, 4a, not like the heads of thq.

That being said these guys need to calm down. I don't necessarily know what they would have to sacrifice but horrible is a bit much. Calm down guys, you don't have to do a port if you don't want to.
Fr33Kye 70

Postby stealth » 21 Nov 2012, 03:05

Fr33Kye wrote:

This dev didnt go bankrupt for making bad games. This is just the developers of last light, 4a, not like the heads of thq.

That being said these guys need to calm down. I don't necessarily know what they would have to sacrifice but horrible is a bit much. Calm down guys, you don't have to do a port if you don't want to.

I thought they did go under? And then reformed or something. I think they just want attention.
stealth 47

Postby Fr33Kye » 21 Nov 2012, 03:08

I didn't hear anything about 4a going under. They might have had development troubles being published by THQ and all.
Fr33Kye 70

Postby stealth » 21 Nov 2012, 03:12

This would of worried me if we didnt have 10+ devs saying the contrary about the overall power of the system ( cpu speed is 1 component).

Yeah, the cpu is slow, and just about the same as the 360. But the gpu, and ram far surpass anything seen so far ESPECIALLY from the wii.

Also its worth keeping in mind what reggie said " The last 2 times we tried having beast ( paraphrasing) systems, they failed commercially"
stealth 47

Postby Drusus » 21 Nov 2012, 03:46

stealth wrote:

What feeds the gpu it's information Stealth? Oh yeah right. Also you should look up memory bandwidth and it's importance. I for one think the Wii U's specs are adequate considering Nintendo never compete on graphics any more.

It's the Wii U's crippling lack of direction, high price, gimmicky controller and poor features that make it pointless to me not it's graphics. Still I'll grab it when it's £70 like I did with the Wii for retro kicks.
Drusus 58

Postby stealth » 21 Nov 2012, 03:50

Drusus wrote:
stealth wrote:

What feeds the gpu it's information Stealth? Oh yeah right. Also you should look up memory bandwidth and it's importance. I for one think the Wii U's specs are adequate considering Nintendo never compete on graphics any more.

It's the Wii U's crippling lack of direction, high price, gimmicky controller and poor features that make it pointless to me not it's graphics. Still I'll grab it when it's £70 like I did with the Wii for retro kicks.

Nobody is saying the cpu isnt important. The wii u's direction is pretty clear. The price is as low as you an expect for a new system. The controller is utterly brilliant. And mii verse kicks ass.

Dont knock it until you try it
stealth 47

Postby Drusus » 21 Nov 2012, 03:55

stealth wrote:

Also its worth keeping in mind what reggie said " The last 2 times we tried having beast ( paraphrasing) systems, they failed commercially"

So why are you arguing it's not slow then? It is slow, Not compared to current gen products as you keep pointing out but it's not going to be fighting with the 360 in a year is it and you just suggested it didn't bother you.

If you don't care why worry it's slow. Which it is, oh and stop talking about it's gpu like it's a god, I have a gtx 460 in my second rig that'd kick it so hard it'd pretend it was a toaster to stop the fight.

You're cute when you're on both sides of an argument, just buy a Wii U play some games and let us know how that works out for you. You don't work for Nintendo you have nothing at stake but your own enjoyment, so go have a good time.

On topic that Wii U seems painfully slow, plus I heard it's gpu is a toaster.
Drusus 58

Postby stealth » 21 Nov 2012, 04:00

Drusus wrote:
stealth wrote:

So why are you arguing it's not slow then? It is slow, Not compared to current gen products as you keep pointing out but it's not going to be fighting with the 360 in a year is it and you just suggested it didn't bother you.

If you don't care why worry it's slow. Which it is, oh and stop talking about it's gpu like it's a god, I have a gtx 460 in my second rig that'd kick it so hard it'd pretend it was a toaster to stop the fight.

You're cute when you're on both sides of an argument, just buy a Wii U play some games and let us know how that works out for you. You don't work for Nintendo you have nothing at stake but your own enjoyment, so go have a good time.

On topic that Wii U seems painfully slow, plus I heard it's gpu is a toaster.

You seem to be confused. Nobody is arguing the cpu isnt slow.

Comparing any console to a pc is stupid. Most devs are saying as soon as the ps4 for example comes out it wont be as powerful as a mid range rig. Nobody is arguing the superiority of pc's in terms of power.

What arguement? You seem to want one.......
stealth 47

Postby Drusus » 21 Nov 2012, 04:11

stealth wrote:
Drusus wrote:

You seem to be confused. Nobody is arguing the cpu isnt slow.

Comparing any console to a pc is stupid. Most devs are saying as soon as the ps4 for example comes out it wont be as powerful as a mid range rig. Nobody is arguing the superiority of pc's in terms of power.

What arguement? You seem to want one.......

boop

You were blabbing on about the Wii U's tech specs saying they could work around the cpu issue like it didn't matter in terms of output, I was explaining to you it absolutely does matter and is a bit of a nuisance. Now back on topic.

Don't avoid the issue, you're avoiding it sir... Is the GPU in the Wii U a toaster? ANSWER ME! I don't want bread crumbs on circuit boards if I'm paying that much for a console. I played a Wii U this week, it was quite fun but by lacks direction I mean it doesn't have all it's features across all games, I want the youtube feature, the party chat across everything at all times, I didn't think that was too much to ask for a system with 1gb system ram. It doesn't and that disappoints me. Oh and nobody will tell me if it's gpu is a toaster, two slices? Four? What of waffles, what of waffles?
Drusus 58

Postby stealth » 21 Nov 2012, 04:13

You obviously didnt read a single word I said. Next time, before you act silly you should read the context of what your saying.
stealth 47

Next