to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Wii U: Multiple launch issues reported

Your comments on our articles.

Quitting day one update apparently bricks consoles; Miiverse outage ongoing

Numerous Wii U owners have reported encountering a serious issue with the new console related to a large day one update required to access the system's online features.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby Two Pennys Worth » 19 Nov 2012, 15:52

This launch isn't getting any better for Nintendo. Hope they can sought these issues out soon but come on, what kind of person unplugs there console on it's very first update, it's almost as if they're finding ways to break it on purpose.
Two Pennys Worth 53

Re: Wii U: Multiple launch issues reported

Postby geardley » 19 Nov 2012, 15:54

glad america had it first,a few teething problems then??
We are premier league.
geardley 53

Postby slamatron » 19 Nov 2012, 15:58

shouldnt they have released that information before today when the patch was announced ? i mean its common knowledge to not turn anything off when something is installing but with no warning on the screen is pretty bad, hopefully nintendo can fixed these issues quickly without having to just replace bricked consoles
slamatron 49

Xbox Live: slamatron
PSN ID: slamatron

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 19 Nov 2012, 16:02

From what i've just read i'm going to put this one down to a user error. If you don't know not to turn any kind of computer off during a major update by now you probably should go backto using more redimentary tools.

My five year nephew could of told you that unplugging a wii U or a 360 or a PS3 during a firmware upgrade could bick it. Same goes for the orignal wii.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 65

Postby SuperCinos » 19 Nov 2012, 16:08

To play devils advocate here isn't it common knowledge to NEVER turn off a device whilst it's installing an update.

Also I've seen the update screen and there is a message saying that the auto shut off feature is disabled for the duration of the update. Surely that's a pretty big hint that you shouldn't turn the thing off. :p
SuperCinos 52

Postby a3HeadedMonkey » 19 Nov 2012, 16:12

If it had a HDD as standard, it could download the firmware update to the drive & then only once it's done, apply it & replace the existing firmware. This is amateur stuff. Nintendo really don't know what they're doing these days. No voice chat, networking that doesn't rival a seven year old console, high prices for games & hardware, hacking & now this. And it's been out a day! Complete car crash.
a3HeadedMonkey 69

Postby TOKEN » 19 Nov 2012, 16:26

To top things of,wii u has less bandwidth than 360/ps4 main memory acording to neogaf,i mean come on ninty didnt you listen to critics and fans last time?and if next gen consoles come more higher spec third party wont support after a while =/
Valve Steam Box please make it happen.Maybe not?
TOKEN 51

Xbox Live: ILL SAVE YA
PSN ID: TOKEN_CVG
Wii Code: 5632-4064-3535-4012

Postby CatfishMurphy » 19 Nov 2012, 16:53

a3HeadedMonkey wrote:If it had a HDD as standard, it could download the firmware update to the drive & then only once it's done, apply it & replace the existing firmware. This is amateur stuff. Nintendo really don't know what they're doing these days. No voice chat, networking that doesn't rival a seven year old console, high prices for games & hardware, hacking & now this. And it's been out a day! Complete car crash.

Personally I think these problems and lack functionality are perfectly acceptable and excuseable, but then I am writing this post in 2004 and maybe things are different in the future.
CatfishMurphy 38

Postby ingy » 19 Nov 2012, 16:57

What if your connection drops out during install?.....i mean that never happens!
ingy 63

Postby Serebii » 19 Nov 2012, 16:59

a3HeadedMonkey wrote:If it had a HDD as standard, it could download the firmware update to the drive & then only once it's done, apply it & replace the existing firmware. This is amateur stuff. Nintendo really don't know what they're doing these days. No voice chat, networking that doesn't rival a seven year old console, high prices for games & hardware, hacking & now this. And it's been out a day! Complete car crash.

It does. Many people leave the update in the background and do stuff while it's downloading. Hardware is high priced because, guess what, the hardware costs that much; Nintendo are taking a loss with each unit as it is. There is voice chat, but it's in-game on games that support it, just like on PSN

SuperCinos wrote:To play devils advocate here isn't it common knowledge to NEVER turn off a device whilst it's installing an update.

Also I've seen the update screen and there is a message saying that the auto shut off feature is disabled for the duration of the update. Surely that's a pretty big hint that you shouldn't turn the thing off. :p

Indeed. Every single device says it, most brick if you do it. Why people are picking on Nintendo for it, when it's their fault for pulling the damned plug out, I have no idea.

Also, the Wii U System Update is NOT 5GB like the article suggests. That was a miscommunication by Geoff Keighley of G4TV. When applied, the firmware takes 5GB, but the update is 1GB. Here's proof
http://i.imgur.com/sOfST.jpg

Next, a person didn't HACK into the console, he inadvertantly accessed the MIIVERSE debug menu, not the console's.

Finally, an online service having launch day issues is nothing new. They're just finding the load balance.

The rampant poor journalism on the Internet about these is phenomenal.
Serebii 41

Postby StonecoldMC » 19 Nov 2012, 17:01

This hasnt been the launch that Ninty would have been dreaming about, still, as long as they actually hit the numbers then all of these issues can be fixed with a firmware update or something similar.
StonecoldMC 79
Global Moderator

Postby fatherofthenoo » 19 Nov 2012, 17:11

This launch is getting worse by the hour. I am very tempted to sell mine on eBay the moment it arrives, and buy one later next year when all of these issues have been rectified and we have a slightly better idea of where this console is going. I feel very let down by the fact that Nintendo spent a good deal of time hyping features and games that are simply not living up to expectations.
Now playing - Trine 2 Director's Cut, Dino Crisis 2, Devil May Cry, The Cave
fatherofthenoo 41

PSN ID: fatherofthenoo
Wii Code: WiiU-fatherofthenoo

Postby Serebii » 19 Nov 2012, 17:16

fatherofthenoo wrote:This launch is getting worse by the hour. I am very tempted to sell mine on eBay the moment it arrives, and buy one later next year when all of these issues have been rectified and we have a slightly better idea of where this console is going. I feel very let down by the fact that Nintendo spent a good deal of time hyping features and games that are simply not living up to expectations.

Don't. Much of it is exaggerated. Those who actually have their console are mostly being overwhelmingly positive about it.

Much of the problems people are bringing up (other than load times and maybe that memory issue, but we don't know the specifis yet) are just due to ignorance, as seen with the "the update is 5GB" bit, or idiocy as seen with those who are complaining about the system bricking when they pull the power out
Serebii 41

Postby lordirongut » 19 Nov 2012, 17:36

Just a thought - I doubt that many would intentionally yank the socket from the console, but what if the power goes out when it's out of their control? You know, like a powercut or an internet outage? There should be safeguards against these things built into the console - hell, why there's a huge day one update in the first place is a mystery in and of itself, if we're honest. Even then, why does it need to be downloaded, surely an install from the game discs like on Wii and PSP games would be smarter for something so huge? It baffles me, it really does. I hope these issues are gone by the time I invest next year.
"Our world cannot be viewed through the glasses of common sense" - Masato Arai.

Twitter: @hyakushiki1234
JRPG/Japanese Culture blog: http://shrinetoamaterasu.blogspot.com/
lordirongut 65

PSN ID: lordirongut

Postby Serebii » 19 Nov 2012, 17:45

lordirongut wrote:Just a thought - I doubt that many would intentionally yank the socket from the console, but what if the power goes out when it's out of their control? You know, like a powercut or an internet outage? There should be safeguards against these things built into the console - hell, why there's a huge day one update in the first place is a mystery in and of itself, if we're honest. Even then, why does it need to be downloaded, surely an install from the game discs like on Wii and PSP games would be smarter for something so huge? It baffles me, it really does. I hope these issues are gone by the time I invest next year.

I believe there are backups, but sometimes they fail. As for day one updates, that's commonplace; It wasn't included on discs because they were finetuning it up until last minute, as people do with patches. Games went to print over a month ago. I have no doubt that, like the Wii and 3DS, there will be firmware updates included on games in the future. However, expecting it launch day is just a bit ridiculous
Serebii 41

Next