Wii U owners report mandatory 5GB firmware update

Your comments on our articles.

Huge day one update for Wii U

The Wii U launched in America over the weekend, and Twitter has seen a flurry of updates from owners who weren't able to play their new console for up to four hours while it performed a mammoth firmware update.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Wii U owners report mandatory 5GB firmware update

Postby slamatron » 19 Nov 2012, 03:24

so if you got the basic wii u you have to have extended memory to install the firmware just to play games ? seems unfair but i suppose everyone who got one at launch will have a external memory item at the start.
slamatron 51

Xbox Live: slamatron
PSN ID: slamatron

Re: Wii U owners report mandatory 5GB firmware update

Postby Windowlicker79 » 19 Nov 2012, 03:52

slamatron wrote:so if you got the basic wii u you have to have extended memory to install the firmware just to play games ? seems unfair but i suppose everyone who got one at launch will have a external memory item at the start.

No that's not right. Its a firmware update, so it will replace the firmware currently installed. The Firmware on the basic Wii U is 5gb so owners will still have the same pathetic 3gb they had available originally.
I really can't see the basic Wii U selling that well. The fact that system software takes up over 65% of available storage just seems like madness to me. Surely it wouldn't have been that much more expensive to up it to 16gb? Even the 32gb version is a bit tight on storage capacity. I reckon they'll introduce "special edition" 64gb and maybe 128gb versions at some point.

Does anyone know if games can be installed like on Xbox 360?
Windowlicker79 55

Xbox Live: windowlicker79

Postby nb_nmare2 » 19 Nov 2012, 07:17

Games can be installed, on either the internal storage or on an external hard drive (the Wii U supports drives up to 2 TB).
nb_nmare2 58

Postby ChotaDon » 19 Nov 2012, 10:04

5GB update? :shock: holy molly that's even bigger then then Windows 8 which is 3.5GB. What has Nintendo put into this firmware. :?
ChotaDon 23

Postby manky » 19 Nov 2012, 12:20

Gosh - can you imagine the fury that this will cause all the little kiddies on Christmas day... (note to self: Open package, update overnight and reseal before Christmas day).

Well done Nintendo - good start.
manky 28

Postby fatherofthenoo » 19 Nov 2012, 13:42

That's massive. Why on Earth was Wii U released with such bare bones firmware?? It's not a great start is it :?
Now playing - Trine 2 Director's Cut, Dino Crisis 2, Devil May Cry, The Cave
fatherofthenoo 41

PSN ID: fatherofthenoo
Wii Code: WiiU-fatherofthenoo

Postby richomack360 » 19 Nov 2012, 14:09

Now consoles are suffering from the lazy Day 1 patch issue

What a sorry industry this is.
Fanboys of CVG Forums. This is the law. Disperse immediately, or we will use lethal force to clear the area. You have been warned. You now have 20 posts to comply.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360
Steam: richomack360

Postby slamatron » 19 Nov 2012, 14:31

Windowlicker79 wrote:
slamatron wrote:so if you got the basic wii u you have to have extended memory to install the firmware just to play games ? seems unfair but i suppose everyone who got one at launch will have a external memory item at the start.

No that's not right. Its a firmware update, so it will replace the firmware currently installed. The Firmware on the basic Wii U is 5gb so owners will still have the same pathetic 3gb they had available originally.
I really can't see the basic Wii U selling that well. The fact that system software takes up over 65% of available storage just seems like madness to me. Surely it wouldn't have been that much more expensive to up it to 16gb? Even the 32gb version is a bit tight on storage capacity. I reckon they'll introduce "special edition" 64gb and maybe 128gb versions at some point.

Does anyone know if games can be installed like on Xbox 360?

thanks for clearing that up, the last article about the basic said it only came with 3gb space, i do agree about the space they couldve at least doubled it especially if the firmware is so large
slamatron 51

Xbox Live: slamatron
PSN ID: slamatron

Postby Bryanee1983 » 19 Nov 2012, 15:37

Neogaf users say its just over 1gb, nowhere near 5gb.

edit - Yes its just over 1gb, confirmed by Digital Foundry at Eurogamer.net.
Right now, I'm letting you live. And I'll continue to keep you alive...until you've grown enough to become worth killing.♠
Joined 2001
Bryanee1983 59

Postby Serebii » 19 Nov 2012, 16:57

The Wii U System Update is NOT 5GB like the article suggests. That was a miscommunication by Geoff Keighley of G4TV who seemingly thought the firmware size on the console after download was the entire size of the update rather than the firmware itself. The update is around 1GB. Here's proof

Will journalists post a retraction of this? Probably not -_-
Serebii 41