to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Assassin's Creed 4: What we want to see

Your comments on our articles.

What's in store for the first next-gen chapter in Ubisoft's flagship series?

It's likely that there'll be another semi-sequel set in the Assassin's Creed 3 timeline, but what about the future? The next generation of consoles is almost upon us, and the next proper Assassin's Creed sequel will have shiny new hardware to show off. But what do we want from it?... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Assassin's Creed 4: What we want to see

Postby Down with robots » 18 Nov 2012, 21:22

Haven't played 3 yet, but i'd still like to see "ye olde" London as the setting for an AC game. seems like the obvious choice to me.
Down with robots 52

Re: Assassin's Creed 4: What we want to see

Postby richard99 » 18 Nov 2012, 22:32

My vote's for forgetting about the Desmond/animus/apocalypse side of things and just putting us straight in the history with more focus on the Assassin-Templar war.
More involving free running controls than holding RT, A and a direction, some cloak and dagger style stealth tricks borrowed from Splinter Cell to go along with the social stealth and difficulty settings for when I want a challenge could all make AC great. Oh and I reckon Paris in the French Revolution/Napoleonic Wars would be an amazing setting.
Last edited by richard99 on 18 Nov 2012, 22:42, edited 1 time in total.
If anyone wants to see my favourite games take a look here :)
http://www.unikgamer.com/users/renegadev8-999.html
richard99 50

Xbox Live: renegadeV8
PSN ID: renegadeV8
Steam: renegadeV8

Postby budge » 18 Nov 2012, 22:38

I'm down with all those but what I'd want most is more stealthy gameplay and less action. I tried to play AC Revelations again recently but when it started with an on-rails action sequence of Ezio hanging onto the back of a horse cart, I immediately turned it off! I'm thinking more of a game that blends the best elements from the first two Assassin's Creed games.
Los Rojiblancos
budge 66

Postby Jingee » 18 Nov 2012, 23:43

Down with robots wrote:Haven't played 3 yet, but i'd still like to see "ye olde" London as the setting for an AC game. seems like the obvious choice to me.

I agree on this! A Victorian London would be fantastic!
Jingee 50

Postby Multiplayerking » 19 Nov 2012, 00:07

A good game.
Hey
Multiplayerking 69

PSN ID: gta-hellraiser61

Postby Nimron Tang » 19 Nov 2012, 00:26

richard99 wrote:My vote's for forgetting about the Desmond/animus/apocalypse side of things and just putting us straight in the history with more focus on the Assassin-Templar war.
More involving free running controls than holding RT, A and a direction, some cloak and dagger style stealth tricks borrowed from Splinter Cell to go along with the social stealth and difficulty settings for when I want a challenge could all make AC great. Oh and I reckon Paris in the French Revolution/Napoleonic Wars would be an amazing setting.

I quite like the changes you have suggested, especially the difficulty settings. I would love a hardcore mode where being hit once by the enemy equals death. The hardcore mode in the Red Dead GOTY edition made a quality game, many times more enjoyable for me.

I wasn't sure about Paris when I first thought about it, but if it was set at the end of the 19th century when the Eiffel Tower had just been built, it could be an amazing setting. I like the idea of China as well. (if only to play as an Assassin trained in Kung Fu)
It's just a ride.
Nimron Tang 48

PSN ID: Smittypig

Postby liquidphantom » 19 Nov 2012, 00:38

Down with robots wrote:Haven't played 3 yet, but i'd still like to see "ye olde" London as the setting for an AC game. seems like the obvious choice to me.

+1 For London, early Victorian era or how about a bit of Euro hopping between London and Paris during the Napoleonic wars?
liquidphantom 46

Postby Twilitlord » 19 Nov 2012, 01:01

While I was disappointed that armor wasn't included again, I suppose it makes sense. During the new time period, armies started to shy away from armor as well, since it doesn't really do much against bullets. If they were to include armor, they'd have to go back to a time period where guns were less popular. If they do go with Victorian England or 1800s Paris (which would both be awesome), that would mean armor still wouldn't really be a possibility based on then-contemporary uniform. They could do customizable outfit pieces along with colors, though. That would be pretty cool.
Twilitlord 1
New user

Postby HelloLadies » 19 Nov 2012, 09:50

1400 or 1500 China would be pretty sweet. Paris, France was a good suggestion too.
HelloLadies 50

Postby Channel4 » 19 Nov 2012, 15:34

Point 1 is basically what the first Assassins Creed did. The proper assassinations in that game are still brilliant and better than pretty much everything in the rest of the series. All they had to do for the sequel was make scoping out the hits more interesting and less repetitive, but they completely abandoned the concept in favour of complete scriptedness (thus there being literally no point in the game being open world) and basically made every mission a simple GTA mission, while it was still good, it could have been great. This is partly why I barely play games anymore. They hold your hand way too much. The stealth bits in COD where you have to follow someone and do exactly as they say or mission failed are pretty much the worst things ever conceived (apart from the sniper mission in COD4 obviously as that actually has tension and you still have at least some input for most of it).
Channel4 38

Postby pherik » 19 Nov 2012, 15:44

Assassin's Creed 3 was developed in two years

I thought it was three years for AC3 - with the team starting right after AC2 (different teams did Brotherhood and Revelations), which would put dev time at 3 years.
pherik 52

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 19 Nov 2012, 16:38

I want some actual changes to how the game plays other than a glossy reskin which is all AC3 is for the best part. All the stuff that didn't work in the first 3 is still present in 3 but the fighting is worse. countering is hit and miss at best and you cant block any more.

The Naval stuff i'd love to see in a different series althogether. the world needs more decent games about pirates.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Postby aindriu80 » 19 Nov 2012, 17:05

Better controls !! Its hard to actually describe each and every limitation without boring everyone here but by in large getting the game and character to respond completely to what you want to do via the controller as opposed to responding to the game.
aindriu80 39

Postby FishyGinger » 19 Nov 2012, 17:12

WHERESMYMONKEY wrote:I want some actual changes to how the game plays other than a glossy reskin which is all AC3 is for the best part. All the stuff that didn't work in the first 3 is still present in 3 but the fighting is worse. countering is hit and miss at best and you cant block any more.

Can't block? Pretty much any of the suggestions sound like they could be good (settings wise), better than late 1700s boston anyhow. That said I am enjoying it.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 70

Postby Moribundman » 19 Nov 2012, 20:07

I would like to see London, but rumours are French revolution first. Who knows with the craziness of the new King Washington DLC!
Last edited by Moribundman on 20 Feb 2013, 12:07, edited 1 time in total.
"if you dont like it do one elsewhere. stop getting up in arms as someone doesnt agree with you." - svd_grasshopper
Moribundman 51

Xbox Live: Moribundman
PSN ID: Moribundman
Steam: Moribundman

Next