to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

ZombiU review: Survival horror makes a bloody comeback

Your comments on our articles.

Sick of zombie games? This might just win you back

Survival horror. Remember that? Creeping through the darkness with only a sliver of health and two bullets in your pistol. Terrified of what's waiting around the next corner. Suspense. Claustrophobia. It's something you don't see much of these days, what with Resident Evil turning into the world's dumbest action film and Silent Hill turning, well, shit.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

ZombiU review: Survival horror makes a bloody comeback

Postby Robcarroll93 » 18 Nov 2012, 18:12

I love the difference in reviews, Greg at IGN gave it a 6.something and hated the combat.
Robcarroll93 10

Re: ZombiU review: Survival horror makes a bloody comeback

Postby smash-4000 » 18 Nov 2012, 18:24

Yeah the review scores are all over the place. I think the highest so far is 9.2 and the lowest is 4.5.
smash-4000 41

Postby Barry316 » 18 Nov 2012, 18:26

The gloomy streets of London are clogged with zombies, and you have to battle through the undead hordes to gather supplies, help other survivors, and eventually find a way out of the seriously broken city.

Yeah, but what about in the game?
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 67

Postby HelloLadies » 18 Nov 2012, 18:26

Surprising, I thought the gamepad utilisation was going to be a big selling point for this one and really preview its uses in other games. Game sounds good but enough to compel me to rush out and buy a Wii U... I think not.
HelloLadies 52

Postby Stryker89 » 18 Nov 2012, 18:28

This is definitely one of the more generous reviews I've seen. Makes no difference to me, I'm not getting a Wii U until a stellar first-party game comes out for it.
Stryker89 61

Xbox Live: Olliemar28
PSN ID: Olliemar28

Postby svensk101 » 18 Nov 2012, 18:38

So its a marmite game then. Good, I love marmite. :)
Playing - Wind Waker, XCOM and 3D Dot Game Heroes
svensk101 50

Postby PevMaster » 18 Nov 2012, 18:40

Looks terrible.
PevMaster 33

Postby budge » 18 Nov 2012, 18:41

Atmosphere and tension over jumpy scares everytime for me. Sounds like a really decent game, maybe it'll come to the other consoles somewhere down the line.
Los Rojiblancos
budge 67

Postby flyfletch » 18 Nov 2012, 18:52

I have pre ordered a Wii U, but the more reviews i have read of the launch games, the more im wondering if have done the right thing.....
flyfletch 72

Postby slamatron » 18 Nov 2012, 18:59

seen the gameplay and agree with the reviews the combat looks uninteresting, its a shame this would have been on of the titles to make me buy a wii u, hopefully they'll announce the new super smash bros soon or a game that follows through, i dont think the dependence on the game pad is a good thing
slamatron 51

Xbox Live: slamatron
PSN ID: slamatron

Postby Megatrons_Fury » 18 Nov 2012, 19:57

flyfletch wrote:I have pre ordered a Wii U, but the more reviews i have read of the launch games, the more im wondering if have done the right thing.....

YUP

I was excited by this for ages then the closer it got to release i noticed there was nothing i wanted to play on it, next year hopefully different story but right now its an over priced console with nothing must have on it in a market filled with choice, theres still loads of games that have come out recently that i want more.

Not to mention the 3Ds which now has some amazing stuff on it and the psp Vita which with my ps plus subscription now looks a bit sexy too. What i may do is take my WII U money and get these other 2 consoles and come back to the WII U next year.....Way into next year.

Its going to be a very luke warm launch, only the most die hard of people are going to get anything from this at all, as i keep saying any launch review is usually over scored because of the new tech involved, give it 3-6 months and people will be sick and tired of both NIntendoland, new mario bros and this game will completely fade into obscurity.

Should have got a Zelda, Mario Kart, f-zero game ready for launch window, even Pikmin wont excite the majority of un-swayed folk.
Megatrons_Fury 50

Postby sigourney beaver » 18 Nov 2012, 20:19

quite a difference in reviews here, I've got it pre ordered so i'll soon enough see what side of the reviews i agree with
sigourney beaver 45

Postby flyfletch » 18 Nov 2012, 20:31

Megatrons_Fury wrote:
flyfletch wrote:I have pre ordered a Wii U, but the more reviews i have read of the launch games, the more im wondering if have done the right thing.....

YUP

I was excited by this for ages then the closer it got to release i noticed there was nothing i wanted to play on it, next year hopefully different story but right now its an over priced console with nothing must have on it in a market filled with choice, theres still loads of games that have come out recently that i want more.

Not to mention the 3Ds which now has some amazing stuff on it and the psp Vita which with my ps plus subscription now looks a bit sexy too. What i may do is take my WII U money and get these other 2 consoles and come back to the WII U next year.....Way into next year.

Its going to be a very luke warm launch, only the most die hard of people are going to get anything from this at all, as i keep saying any launch review is usually over scored because of the new tech involved, give it 3-6 months and people will be sick and tired of both NIntendoland, new mario bros and this game will completely fade into obscurity.

Should have got a Zelda, Mario Kart, f-zero game ready for launch window, even Pikmin wont excite the majority of un-swayed folk.

Im on the verge of cancelling my pre order....seriously considering it!
flyfletch 72

Postby Skullet » 18 Nov 2012, 20:35

A Zombie game with a suspiciously generous review score, sounds familiar...
Skullet 61

Postby Balladeer » 18 Nov 2012, 20:36

Wait - you're cancelling your pre-orders because a game got 8/10? Were people expecting 9s and 10s? Was the hype that all-encompassing? Was I the only one who could see that this was going to be good but not great? I should apply to Wedbush!
Balladeer 78

Next