to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

'Games are unique - they can generate real emotions in us'

Your comments on our articles.

Opinion: But too often developers miss the point and miss the mark, says Richard Wordsworth

So I was really looking forward to my time with Catherine. Sex, deception and psychoanalysis. It sounded exciting - a chance to let some fresh, rich characters wriggle under my skin.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

'Games are unique - they can generate real emotions in us'

Postby timewarp1 » 17 Nov 2012, 21:49

Best dating game i played, was the real life one. had some right adventures there. still go back to it every now and then. it allows you to draw your own conclusions, make your own mistakes and, is very open world. kind of AR in places too.
timewarp1 45

Re: 'Games are unique - they can generate real emotions in u

Postby charliecheswick » 17 Nov 2012, 22:34

Last game to make me "feel" was Journey. Incredible game which had no guns,hardly any enemies and co-op that you couldn't communicate with other than a press of the button which created a chime. Unique though,no. I'd bet everyone who posts on here can think of a song or movie that really moves them,more than any game they've ever played.
charliecheswick 45

Wii Code: Wii U pulpeto

Postby GmailIsDown » 17 Nov 2012, 22:44

quality japanese games focusing on writing rarely make it to the western world. language barrier? culture difference? licensing issue and the lack of willingness for japanese to introduce their stuff to gaijins? one can only guess.
GmailIsDown 1
New user

Postby razors edge » 17 Nov 2012, 23:11

Aerith in Final Fantasy 7.

Sigh............
razors edge 41

Postby Down with robots » 17 Nov 2012, 23:23

The emotion most people get from video games is anger, as our character gets stuck in the scenery, dies unfairly and has to start the level all over again.
Down with robots 51

Postby El Mag » 17 Nov 2012, 23:34

Every episode of The Walking Dead game has had a couple of emotional moments in for me, the last two particularly.

Watching that Helen bint on I'm a Celebrity these past few nights has been pretty emotional as well though. Mostly rage.
Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
El Mag 67

Xbox Live: El Maggio
PSN ID: ElMagnifico83

Postby DAEDALUS79 » 17 Nov 2012, 23:36

El Mag wrote:Every episode of The Walking Dead game has had a couple of emotional moments in for me, the last two particularly.

Watching that Helen bint on I'm a Celebrity these past few nights has been pretty emotional as well though. Mostly rage.

I 2nd the walking dead, superb gaming that really makes you invest emotionally in the characters.
TheLastDodo - "EU PS Store: Lowering........scratch that, Burying the bar since 2007"
DAEDALUS79 72

Xbox Live: scyzer500
PSN ID: macby19

Postby BeansOnToast » 17 Nov 2012, 23:50

Terranigma gets to me emotionally everytime.
BeansOnToast 29

Postby Hunam85 » 18 Nov 2012, 02:25

I think, especially with Catherine, this article misses the point. I mean, the Fallout 3 situation is very obvious and it really is just slamming her in your face with YOU MUST CARE ABOUT HER! than most other games. I mean it helps that the writing is pretty unconvincing and mentioning her weight is actually more character breaking than I'd like (If I am this character, how would I know what upsets her, It's a line I can say that I have as a player, no prior knowledge of after all). But back to Catherine. The idea isn't that you are Vincent, he is some fop you're supposed to face palm over, because the game is two things:

1. A voyeuristic adventure where you basically f**k up someone else's life... or not.
2. A cautionary tale or morality where instead of telling you straight up, you observe it and then apply it to your own life.

It's really hard to disconnect if you are in first person with a character you have created. The article puts this as a plus but it's not always. It just becomes a fantasy persona and you build everything within that construct. You care about Amata as that character. Catherine wants you to be a judge of others actions. You see the things this Vincent does and instead of thinking "Oh GOD I'm a horrible person!" You think Vincent is a horrible person. When you then come to a similar situation in your real life, you wont think about Amata and you. You think about what that jackass Vincent did and how he tried to justify it, and how you knew it was all bullshit and you wonder if you had an observer, disconnected from what you are doing, how they would see it.
Hunam85 51

Postby MrPirtniw » 18 Nov 2012, 03:24

Actually the only games that have particularly tugged the heart strings with myself lately would be Gears 2 and 3! Yes, I know how that sounds, but without spoiling anything I found it to be a smart move on Epic's behalf to have all this sh1t happening to the main characters best mate. They may be meat heads, but I thought the more 'emotional' scenes in both games were handled pretty well. 'THAT' scene in Gears 3 even managed to make the mrs cry!

Halo 4 has also suprised me with Cortana slowly decaying throughout the game- where she is usually so witty and/or sarcastic seeing her unable to cope with her fate was a little heart wrenching too.

I also cared about some of the characters from the Mass Effect series- I was gutted in ME2 when I bollocksed up the suicide mission and Legion got annihilated... Fortunately so did Jack so it wasn't all bad.
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 70

Xbox Live: Tysh0

Postby TheLastDodo » 18 Nov 2012, 04:13

Walking Dead made me shed a tear with one particular thing you had to do in the third episode. First time I've cried over a game.

You evil manipulative feckers Telltale.

Almost cried at Journey's ending but for different reasons.
TheLastDodo 76

Postby Balladeer » 18 Nov 2012, 10:33

That bloody Sony All-Stars advert made me cry tears of pure rage when I tried to read the article.
The GNamer Forum: for civilised Nintendo discussion, podcasts, and snack reviews.
Balladeer 76

Postby budge » 18 Nov 2012, 10:43

I remember being genuinly stunned with awe the moment I realised who Revan was in KotOR, cracking plot twist that was. I also remember being genuinly a bit sad when Isara died in Valkyria Chronicles but more recently was when my Shepard thought she was saying a prayer for Thane but it was infact for herself, very emotional scene and one of the few which BioWare did right in ME3.
Last edited by budge on 18 Nov 2012, 11:02, edited 1 time in total.
Los Rojiblancos
budge 65

Postby HelloLadies » 18 Nov 2012, 10:58

I had a bit of a sob when I killed generic brown henchman no. 332 in CoD MW3. The thought of his poor brown family hearing the news of his departure from this earth, all of them AK47s in hand.

I remember being genuinly stunned with awe the moment I realised who Revan was in KotOR

Me also.
HelloLadies 50

Postby Sleepaphobic » 18 Nov 2012, 11:48

Ya games are great at making you feel rage but that's about it.
Some cheerleader at school or hot secretary at the office may not think you are cool but let’s be real, those very same bitches don’t love bacon and still use IE to explore the web.
Sleepaphobic 52

Xbox Live: Sleepaphobic
PSN ID: Sleepaphobic
Steam: Sleepaphobic

Next