to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Activision: Black Ops 2 generated $500 million in 24 hours

Your comments on our articles.

Yet publisher has not confirmed if latest title is a record for the Call of Duty franchise

Activision is claiming that it has delivered the biggest game launch of the year with Call of Duty: Black Ops 2, estimating that the latest Treyarch game made $500 million in sales on day one.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Activision: Black Ops 2 generated $500 million in 24 hours

Postby Barca Azul » 16 Nov 2012, 14:48

This Frustrates me, there are so much more interesting games over the last 4 years IMO, but these games get so much yearly love.

Fingers crossed that GTA V stops it being 5 years in a row.
User avatar
Barca Azul 62
 
Posts: 6092
Joined: 14 Nov 2007, 18:39
Location: Spain

Activision: Black Ops 2 generated $500 million in 24 hours

Postby Mortal Mad Matt » 16 Nov 2012, 14:51

I have surprisingly few people playing this on my friends list, but I guess that says more about the tastes of the people on my list than the popularity of the game. I looked at my list the day MW2 was released a few years ago and everyone was playing it including me, this year I saw more people playing Halo 4.
User avatar
Mortal Mad Matt 49
 
Posts: 370
Joined: 09 Feb 2007, 18:30
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: Mortal Mad Matt

Activision: Black Ops 2 generated $500 million in 24 hours

Postby nathar » 16 Nov 2012, 14:56

Barca Azul wrote:Fingers crossed that GTA V stops it being 5 years in a row.


Nah - Activision make these figures up for their own self-generated press releases, as do EA and one or two others. Theyre rarely supported by evidence, so they will claim the title (that they seem to have made for themselves) next year and every year they can get away with it because they write the press releases. Its clever marketing and advertising for the game whether its true or not because websites carry it as fact without asking for verification of the numbers theyre reporting. Even when they come from spurious sources like internal company estimates!

I'm definitely with Bill Hicks when it comes to marketing and advertsing folk.
User avatar
nathar 47
 
Posts: 564
Joined: 23 Mar 2000, 16:42
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Activision: Black Ops 2 generated $500 million in 24 hou

Postby Barca Azul » 16 Nov 2012, 15:09

nathar wrote:
Barca Azul wrote:Fingers crossed that GTA V stops it being 5 years in a row.


Nah - Activision make these figures up for their own self-generated press releases, as do EA and one or two others. Theyre rarely supported by evidence, so they will claim the title (that they seem to have made for themselves) next year and every year they can get away with it because they write the press releases. Its clever marketing and advertising for the game whether its true or not because websites carry it as fact without asking for verification of the numbers theyre reporting. Even when they come from spurious sources like internal company estimates!

I'm definitely with Bill Hicks when it comes to marketing and advertsing folk.


Cheers, that reminded me my avatar had gone missing.
User avatar
Barca Azul 62
 
Posts: 6092
Joined: 14 Nov 2007, 18:39
Location: Spain

Re: Activision: Black Ops 2 generated $500 million in 24 hou

Postby IAmTheWalrus » 16 Nov 2012, 15:13

When will it cease? When ..... :(

I don't care for teh franchise, it's the fact that other devs are seeing that OTT, ZOMG, COOL SPLOSIONS!! sell in the bucket loads and are streamlining their games in hope, and despair, that the CoD fans will pick it up. It's the same poo every year, follow generic action guy to point on map, shoot some baddies, on-rails section, BIG SET PIECE, rinse and repeat ...

:roll:
IAmTheWalrus 21
 
Posts: 96
Joined: 27 Nov 2010, 20:54

Re: Activision: Black Ops 2 generated $500 million in 24 hou

Postby TheLastDodo » 16 Nov 2012, 15:27

IAmTheWalrus wrote:When will it cease? When ..... :(

I don't care for teh franchise, it's the fact that other devs are seeing that OTT, ZOMG, COOL SPLOSIONS!! sell in the bucket loads and are streamlining their games in hope, and despair, that the CoD fans will pick it up. It's the same poo every year, follow generic action guy to point on map, shoot some baddies, on-rails section, BIG SET PIECE, rinse and repeat ...

:roll:


It will cease when someone stumbles onto the next winning formula, until that happens then it isn't going anywhere and nor should it when it offers the best hollywood blockbuster type gaming experience around, aside from Uncharted.
TheLastDodo 77
 
Posts: 15839
Joined: 07 Jan 2011, 15:26

Re: Activision: Black Ops 2 generated $500 million in 24 hou

Postby ninja-key » 16 Nov 2012, 15:38

Well am having fun with it.
Good well written campaign and fun multiplayer. Don't know why people hate on it.
ninja-key 53
 
Posts: 204
Joined: 01 Mar 2011, 13:27
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: Thekey08
PSN ID: ninja-key

Re: Activision: Black Ops 2 generated $500 million in 24 hou

Postby Barca Azul » 16 Nov 2012, 15:55

ninja-key wrote:Well am having fun with it.
Good well written campaign and fun multiplayer. Don't know why people hate on it.


Its not that I hate it, it just sets a dangerous precedent that these yearly releases that dont massively add to the previous version overall are hogging gamers time, attention and money!

it could mean less new games or devs/publishers willing to try things!

This gen already was awash with shooters, which is fine if you just love them.

Myself, I prefer variety and new games.
User avatar
Barca Azul 62
 
Posts: 6092
Joined: 14 Nov 2007, 18:39
Location: Spain

Re: Activision: Black Ops 2 generated $500 million in 24 hou

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 16 Nov 2012, 16:11

Barca Azul wrote:
ninja-key wrote:Well am having fun with it.
Good well written campaign and fun multiplayer. Don't know why people hate on it.


Its not that I hate it, it just sets a dangerous precedent that these yearly releases that dont massively add to the previous version overall are hogging gamers time, attention and money!

it could mean less new games or devs/publishers willing to try things!

This gen already was awash with shooters, which is fine if you just love them.

Myself, I prefer variety and new games.


I get your point, kind of. (and this is not directed at you Barca) COD is nothing new, in each generation there is the archetypal behemoth, the Mario, the Streetfighter etc etc.... Back in the day we didn't have this mass 24/7 exposure which leads, in some quarters to mass hysteria. In reality COD laid a golden egg with COD4 and frankly they can be forgiven for not re-writing the rule book until, as Dodo says, someone comes and rips it up for them. Personally I see little to no evidence for believing COD drags down other games, this year alone we have seen some stellar releases. As for the me-too games, I frankly believe they deserve all they get, if they were not copying COD (or attempting to) the lazy bastards would just be copying someone else.

I enjoy Dishonoured because of it's stealth and dark feel, I enjoy Borderlands because of it's bombastic and creative flow and I now enjoy Blops 2 because the addictive, pick up and kick ass formula is back in the shiniest offering yet. I'ts not CODs fault, why bin a winning formula, I just wish people wouldn't make themselves look stupid by arrogantly claiming us who play the game are thick, young idiots, it's simpler than that COD is immense fun for those who play it, games are supposed to be fun and there you have the true answer to it's popularity......... until someone does it better.
Image

Image
User avatar
KK-Headcharge78 62
 
Posts: 5414
Joined: 17 Sep 2008, 13:47
Location: United Kingdom
Xbox Live: Bison VS Mario
PSN ID: slypuss7881
Steam: slypuss7881

Re: Activision: Black Ops 2 generated $500 million in 24 hou

Postby Barca Azul » 16 Nov 2012, 16:27

KK-Headcharge78 wrote:
I get your point, kind of. (and this is not directed at you Barca) COD is nothing new, in each generation there is the archetypal behemoth, the Mario, the Streetfighter etc etc.... Back in the day we didn't have this mass 24/7 exposure which leads, in some quarters to mass hysteria. In reality COD laid a golden egg with COD4 and frankly they can be forgiven for not re-writing the rule book until, as Dodo says, someone comes and rips it up for them. Personally I see little to no evidence for believing COD drags down other games, this year alone we have seen some stellar releases. As for the me-too games, I frankly believe they deserve all they get, if they were not copying COD (or attempting to) the lazy bastards would just be copying someone else.

I enjoy Dishonoured because of it's stealth and dark feel, I enjoy Borderlands because of it's bombastic and creative flow and I now enjoy Blops 2 because the addictive, pick up and kick ass formula is back in the shiniest offering yet. I'ts not CODs fault, why bin a winning formula, I just wish people wouldn't make themselves look stupid by arrogantly claiming us who play the game are thick, young idiots, it's simpler than that COD is immense fun for those who play it, games are supposed to be fun and there you have the true answer to it's popularity......... until someone does it better.


yeah no worries and im not just talking CoD, there are other games out there too just as guilty, its the market leader in it.

Everyone likes different stuff which is fine and im not knocking anyone for buying CoD, but there is the issue. If publishers and Devs follow to reap the wonder CoD success, it means less of other types of games.
User avatar
Barca Azul 62
 
Posts: 6092
Joined: 14 Nov 2007, 18:39
Location: Spain

Re: Activision: Black Ops 2 generated $500 million in 24 hou

Postby karkify » 16 Nov 2012, 16:28

As much as the series annoys me, I think Treyarch have outdone themselves with this one. The campaign,as people have already said, is well written with characters nicely fleshed out (especially Menendez) despite it falling into the super US Marine cliché in the end. They've changed up the MP side of things enough too to warrant me actually putting time into it, yet my friends list shows hardly anybody playing it. Even the total players online has only reached a maximum of 550k online, as opposed to the originals hitting 800k (PS3 btw).
I get the feeling many of its fans (See: chavs) were put off by its future setting, instead of being the modern oo-rah super marine with his M4.
User avatar
karkify 50
 
Posts: 434
Joined: 29 Jul 2012, 03:38
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Activision: Black Ops 2 generated $500 million in 24 hou

Postby toaplan » 16 Nov 2012, 17:03

TheLastDodo wrote:
IAmTheWalrus wrote:When will it cease? When ..... :(

I don't care for teh franchise, it's the fact that other devs are seeing that OTT, ZOMG, COOL SPLOSIONS!! sell in the bucket loads and are streamlining their games in hope, and despair, that the CoD fans will pick it up. It's the same poo every year, follow generic action guy to point on map, shoot some baddies, on-rails section, BIG SET PIECE, rinse and repeat ...

:roll:


It will cease when someone stumbles onto the next winning formula, until that happens then it isn't going anywhere and nor should it when it offers the best hollywood blockbuster type gaming experience around, aside from Uncharted.


A surprisingly positive opinion, considering that you've been a vocal critic of military FPS games lately. For example here:
http://forums.computerandvideogames.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=140717&p=2173203&hilit=warfighter#p2173203

I wonder if BLOPS 2 has affected your views somehow?
User avatar
toaplan 74
 
Posts: 2740
Joined: 12 Jun 2011, 20:04
Location: Finland

Re: Activision: Black Ops 2 generated $500 million in 24 hou

Postby FishyGinger » 16 Nov 2012, 17:06

I'm with Barca on this. I have enjoyed the games so far although do feel they've been going down hill for a bit but that could be over familiarity playing its part.

I just don't feel it's the bestest thing ever to warrant such absurd, and they are clearly mental, sales figures. As a result we are getting different publishers with dollar signs in their eyes trying to emulate its success without trying their own thing. Possibly why resident evil 6 was such a horrible mess.

That coupled with online games other than fifa, bf and cod being completely barren while cod 4,5,6,7,8 and 9 are all still in the top 10-15 most played games online. So it's not activisions fault, anyone else would do what they're doing, and it's not fans faults as if you enjoy a game then why not, I just find it lamentable. That and my use of commas...

Still, as StoneDodo says, it won't change until the next big thing. Maybe I can reintroduce Alf pogs as the next big thing. Everybody loves pogs.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
User avatar
FishyGinger 70
 
Posts: 4768
Joined: 08 Aug 2012, 11:24
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Activision: Black Ops 2 generated $500 million in 24 hou

Postby TheLastDodo » 16 Nov 2012, 18:45

toaplan wrote:
TheLastDodo wrote:
It will cease when someone stumbles onto the next winning formula, until that happens then it isn't going anywhere and nor should it when it offers the best hollywood blockbuster type gaming experience around, aside from Uncharted.


A surprisingly positive opinion, considering that you've been a vocal critic of military FPS games lately. For example here:
http://forums.computerandvideogames.com/viewtopic.php?f=21&t=140717&p=2173203&hilit=warfighter#p2173203

I wonder if BLOPS 2 has affected your views somehow?


I've always enjoyed the CoD campaigns toa. As I said, Uncharted aside, I don't think any game can beat CoD for hollywood blockbuster type thrills. I don't regard CoD as a military FPS either, it's just OTT, silly, unashamedly brainless entertainment. Stuff like the new MOH is what I'm fed up with, drowning in "authenticity", too serious for it's own good, too afraid to try anything new or different, limping along on the brand and the "POWERED BY FROSTBITE 2" EA hype machine.

It's not Acti/IW/3arc's fault that everyone just makes identikit FPS's these days, that's on the heads of gutless publishers/developers.

As KK says, CoD is this generations behemoth, unless you stumble upon the next winning formula then you can't topple it and copying it is pointless as people would still buy CoD over an inferior rip off anyway so instead you make a Skyrim, a Borderlands, an Assassins Creed, an Arkham City, you find something people want that CoD can't give them.

I'm not saying Blops 2 is perfect but at least Treyarch had the balls to experiment with the traditional CoD formula.
TheLastDodo 77
 
Posts: 15839
Joined: 07 Jan 2011, 15:26

Re: Activision: Black Ops 2 generated $500 million in 24 hou

Postby Mastermue » 16 Nov 2012, 19:02

I guess I'm behind the times, I just bought CoD WaW, but that's only because I got it at 3 quid and only then as it has the coop campaign fun. heh. I guess blops 2 will have to wait a few years. :D
I jumped, O my brothers, and I fell hard but I did not snuff it, oh no. if I had snuffed it, I would not be here to tell what I have told.
User avatar
Mastermue 53
 
Posts: 442
Joined: 16 Apr 2003, 18:22
Location: United Kingdom

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 2 guests

The forum teamDelete all forum cookiesAll times are UTC [ DST ]