to access exclusive content, comment on articles, win prizes and post on our forums. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Discouraged Zynga CEO 'close to tears' over company's future

Your comments on our articles.

Exec "discouraged" by current state

Mark Pincus, the chief executive social games giant Zynga, was reportedly 'close to tears' in a recent meeting set up by company investors intended to help the exec become a better business leader.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby Barca Azul » 16 Nov 2012, 13:51

Cant help but laugh, sorry.

Pincus is currently working on turning Zynga's fortunes around by shifting the company's focus towards mobile and gambling.

Isnt it essentially the same thing? Gambling on Mobile!
Barca Azul 59

Postby El Mag » 16 Nov 2012, 13:55

He wasn't close to tears about the state of the company, he'd just hit his left testicle against his leg as he went to sit down.

It's happened to the best of us chap, don't worry about it.
Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
El Mag 67

Xbox Live: El Maggio
PSN ID: ElMagnifico83

Re: Discouraged Zynga CEO 'close to tears' over company's fu

Postby gmcb007 » 16 Nov 2012, 13:57

That's what you get for running a company that profits from plagurism. Zynga can burn and yes there will be tears shed, tears of joy!
EA Sports: It's in the game(for a price).
gmcb007 62

Xbox Live: PM me if you want it

Postby HelloLadies » 16 Nov 2012, 14:12

rapid change in player habits.

Buuuuullllshhhiitt. People are still playing games, probably more than they were when Zynga was riding the gravy train. They have just moved onto better quality, more original IP's. How about making some of your own Pincus?
HelloLadies 50

Postby Barca Azul » 16 Nov 2012, 14:49

El Mag wrote:He wasn't close to tears about the state of the company, he'd just hit his left testicle against his leg as he went to sit down.

I hate it when that happens.
Barca Azul 59

Postby shellster2 » 16 Nov 2012, 14:57

El Mag wrote:He wasn't close to tears about the state of the company, he'd just hit his left testicle against his leg as he went to sit down.

:lol: one of your finer observations, well done Sir.
Loving LCFC's surge to the top.
shellster2 66

Xbox Live: scootoss
PSN ID: scootoss
Wii Code: wiiu - scootoss
Steam: scootoss

Postby illage2 » 16 Nov 2012, 15:59

I would say something profound.... actually I think I will.

He should be in tears, Zynga games were awful from both a gaming and business point of view. They tried to bank of the success of other franchises such as Sim City and it destroyed them. He has no one to blame but him self. I actually feel sorry for the people who worked there though as they are the ones losing their jobs over it.

Maybe he should try and think of new IP's instead of churning out the same crap with every release.

I will agree that Mobile and Gambling are the same as what they are doing (or Did depending on perspective) now. It's just on a different platform.
ImageImage
illage2 52

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Postby fatherofthenoo » 16 Nov 2012, 17:02

I never thought I'd say this but I am actually starting to feel sorry for Zynga. Although I must admit, they didn't really do themselves any favours by blatantly ripping off other's games and having a bunch of simpletons running the company.
Now playing - Trine 2 Director's Cut, Dino Crisis 2, Devil May Cry, The Cave
fatherofthenoo 41

PSN ID: fatherofthenoo
Wii Code: WiiU-fatherofthenoo

Postby toaplan » 16 Nov 2012, 18:51

I also feel a bit sorry for them, even though I haven't tried any of their games. Social gaming has the potential to increase the overall number of people interested in video games. On the other hand, there's also the possibility that these new forms of gaming like mobile, social and cloud could over time erode the traditional console / PC gaming industry. Well, mobile anyway, as social and cloud gaming seem to be in crisis mode for now. Ideally these new forms of gaming would be complementary, instead of being a threat to the traditional model.
toaplan 72

Postby The Bossman » 16 Nov 2012, 18:57

Hope they crash and burn and go out of business.
The Bossman 44

PSN ID: the_bossman222

Postby alan666 » 16 Nov 2012, 20:17

The Bossman wrote:Hope they crash and burn and go out of business.

+1
used to own - NES, Atari ST, Amiga 500, Mega Drive, SNK Neo Geo, SNES, Saturn, N64, PS2, GameCube, Alienware Aurora.
currently own - PS1, Xbox, Xbox360 + Kinect, Wii, PS3 + MOVE, 3DS, Games PC, Wii U.
alan666 55

Xbox Live: B1G A1AN
PSN ID: B1G_A1AN
Wii Code: Wii U + B1G_A1AN
Steam: full_life_666
Battle.net: Origin + full_life_666
xFire: 3DS + 0087-2285-0027

Postby Noobsaibot » 17 Nov 2012, 01:33

I kind of see news like this and feel like coining the term 'social gaming bubble'. Much like the dot.com bubble, this will burst eventually as more and more iPhone/Android/Facebook gamers realize that they have been playing (and paying for) nothing but shite and move on to more engaging experiences on dedicated gaming devices (or something else). Meanwhile, proper gamers will scoff at the likes of Zynga, Wooga and Playfish for providing nothing but cheap and nasty versions of established proper games and will hope that such companies either completely reform or die. Most will die with the big guys doing a runner with the cash and the regular staff out on their arses wondering what happened during these drunken few years of social gaming.

And yes, I did have to wiki the names of some of those companies - such is their lack of importance and welcome in our world.
I'm kind of a big deal...

Steam ID: noobsaibot21
XBL GT: Noobsaibot21 (Defunct)
PSN ID: Noobsaibot21 (Defunct)

Currently Playing: Video Games

Noobsaibot 66

Xbox Live: Noobsaibot21
PSN ID: Noobsaibot21

Postby BeansOnToast » 17 Nov 2012, 12:46

He should dump the company and do something else, rather than try to turn it around; it's probably had its day. Companies can't afford anymore to just gladly assume that they will be making money forever.

Start a business, make some money, sell it at its peak and retire to a tropical island.
BeansOnToast 29

Postby Nimron Tang » 17 Nov 2012, 14:21

Noobsaibot wrote:I kind of see news like this and feel like coining the term 'social gaming bubble'. Much like the dot.com bubble, this will burst eventually as more and more iPhone/Android/Facebook gamers realize that they have been playing (and paying for) nothing but shite and move on to more engaging experiences on dedicated gaming devices (or something else). Meanwhile, proper gamers will scoff at the likes of Zynga, Wooga and Playfish for providing nothing but cheap and nasty versions of established proper games and will hope that such companies either completely reform or die. Most will die with the big guys doing a runner with the cash and the regular staff out on their arses wondering what happened during these drunken few years of social gaming.

And yes, I did have to wiki the names of some of those companies - such is their lack of importance and welcome in our world.

Well said Noob, completely agree with everything you have said here.
It's just a ride.
Nimron Tang 48

PSN ID: Smittypig

Postby Joseph Dennee » 07 Dec 2012, 13:56

I find it odd that someone like me who plays games like farmville and has a player prospective and has suggested several major features in the game that they use to currently make their farms and has suggested their new upcoming farm even, The Atlantis Farm , also I suggested the Water animals so players could have their favorite marine animals, and also the aquarium pens so we could house them and then a type of pen that would allow us to have pens for water animals even on existing farms. on top of that several of their mastery statues and the pig-o mini game I made these suggestions public each time I suggested these on the public status updates on my timeline. I have not even been thanked for any of my ideas and I do spend money on these games enough to get their premium live chat services and yet my game has numerous errors and I have never once been approached by the company to even consult which I have a lot of ideas for new original games and ideas to turn quite a few of the current games around which I believe would. Its odd when I even posted this information on Mark Pincus' twitter account and also Farmville's twitter account as well. I find it quite on instead they choose to abuse players like me who play the game and spend a ton of money and even offered to give more suggestions as well and consult but they choose to ignore me. You would think since they are willing to use my ideas and not give me credit and then make money off of them that they would at least have the sense to approach me about more ideas of how to maybe save their company.
Joseph Dennee 1
New user