to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Wii U review round-up: Nintendo Land and Mario Bros. U score

Your comments on our articles.

UPDATED - All the Wii U game review scores in one place...

The first Wii U game reviews have gone live across the gaming press.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Wii U review round-up: Nintendo Land and Mario Bros. U score

Postby stealth » 15 Nov 2012, 20:44

Putting into context these are launch titles, and slow burn quality sells. I am pleased overall
stealth 47
 
Posts: 3290
Joined: 02 Dec 2010, 11:34

Re: Wii U review round-up: Nintendo Land and Mario Bros. U s

Postby fatherofthenoo » 15 Nov 2012, 21:01

This is a bit of a disappointment but I think these scores are pretty much what we all expected. But let's be honest, it is zombi u that we all have our eyes on as the killer app. Hopefully it will live up to the hype.
Now playing - Trine 2 Director's Cut, Dino Crisis 2, Devil May Cry, The Cave
User avatar
fatherofthenoo 41
 
Posts: 963
Joined: 16 Jan 2012, 15:42
Location: United Kingdom
PSN ID: fatherofthenoo
Wii Code: WiiU-fatherofthenoo

Re: Wii U review round-up: Nintendo Land and Mario Bros. U s

Postby stealth » 15 Nov 2012, 21:07

fatherofthenoo wrote:This is a bit of a disappointment but I think these scores are pretty much what we all expected. But let's be honest, it is zombi u that we all have our eyes on as the killer app. Hopefully it will live up to the hype.



Lol I am so not feeling zombie U. I am quite pleased with the scores of these 2 games so far they are the true killer app system sellers.

Zombie U will appeal to the shooter crowd but is it packed in? does it have 10 million sales potential? unknown
stealth 47
 
Posts: 3290
Joined: 02 Dec 2010, 11:34

Re: Wii U review round-up: Nintendo Land and Mario Bros. U s

Postby toaplan » 15 Nov 2012, 21:07

I think the Kotaku writer nailed it. As launch games these aren't as exciting as Twilight Princess for the Wii was. But that's okay, because in a year or so the amazing launch games should finally come, for other systems.
User avatar
toaplan 73
 
Posts: 2682
Joined: 12 Jun 2011, 20:04
Location: Finland

Re: Wii U review round-up: Nintendo Land and Mario Bros. U s

Postby Megatrons_Fury » 15 Nov 2012, 21:11

However Stealth take into consideration that launch games are always over reviewed score wise because of new tech, new control, basically the whole new car smell aspect and getting 8's will most likely feel more like 6's and 7's inside 6 months.

Go to gamerankings and see original review scores against community scores now or better still wait for CVG feature called YOU BE THE REVIEWER in december when it asks us to rank games that came out this month, theres always a big difference between people who pay real money to get the games to play and people who sit in an office waiting for the editor to drop of the free review copy.

Im still sticking to my opinion that this is not a great launch, an ok one maybe but nothing spectacular. The snes had zelda, mario and f-zero, the n64 had mario 64 the gamecube had luigis mansion and rogue squadron and the wii had zelda twightlight princess, the wii u launch is missing a true killer app, it needed a metroid f-zero or zelda.
Image
User avatar
Megatrons_Fury 50
 
Posts: 1175
Joined: 15 Feb 2011, 15:54

Re: Wii U review round-up: Nintendo Land and Mario Bros. U s

Postby stealth » 15 Nov 2012, 21:22

toaplan wrote:I think the Kotaku writer nailed it. As launch games these aren't as exciting as Twilight Princess for the Wii was. But that's okay, because in a year or so the amazing launch games should finally come, for other systems.

twilight princess was an exciting launch title? The way I remember it, it was getting nailed as a gamecube port. Not only that it didnt really help move units as a launch game should.
stealth 47
 
Posts: 3290
Joined: 02 Dec 2010, 11:34

Re: Wii U review round-up: Nintendo Land and Mario Bros. U s

Postby stealth » 15 Nov 2012, 21:24

Megatrons_Fury wrote:However Stealth take into consideration that launch games are always over reviewed score wise because of new tech, new control, basically the whole new car smell aspect and getting 8's will most likely feel more like 6's and 7's inside 6 months.

Go to gamerankings and see original review scores against community scores now or better still wait for CVG feature called YOU BE THE REVIEWER in december when it asks us to rank games that came out this month, theres always a big difference between people who pay real money to get the games to play and people who sit in an office waiting for the editor to drop of the free review copy.

Im still sticking to my opinion that this is not a great launch, an ok one maybe but nothing spectacular. The snes had zelda, mario and f-zero, the n64 had mario 64 the gamecube had luigis mansion and rogue squadron and the wii had zelda twightlight princess, the wii u launch is missing a true killer app, it needed a metroid f-zero or zelda.


I find most of them are under reviewed for exactly what you said. They dont know how to judge it.

No offense but community scores are where you will find very very angry people most of the time. I never use those ever.

And I think this is the best launch of any nintendo system ever ie nintendoland, mario u, zombie U ( not for me but for others), scribblenauts, ect all make it way more compelling.
stealth 47
 
Posts: 3290
Joined: 02 Dec 2010, 11:34

Re: Wii U review round-up: Nintendo Land and Mario Bros. U s

Postby toaplan » 15 Nov 2012, 21:35

stealth wrote:twilight princess was an exciting launch title? The way I remember it, it was getting nailed as a gamecube port. Not only that it didnt really help move units as a launch game should.


It was a successful launch title in the West, selling with three of four of Wii purchases. And the Wii version did have the motion controls for added novelty value. But in Japan the Wii version underperformed, prompting the following Miyamoto comment:

“Well, I think a lot of people who bought the Wii are not necessarily the types of people who are interested in playing that kind of game. And a lot of the people who would want to play it [due to chronic shortages of the console] can't find a Wii! But mostly, I think it's that there are fewer and fewer people who are interested in playing a big role-playing game like Zelda."

:?

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda
Last edited by toaplan on 15 Nov 2012, 21:41, edited 1 time in total.
User avatar
toaplan 73
 
Posts: 2682
Joined: 12 Jun 2011, 20:04
Location: Finland

Re: Wii U review round-up: Nintendo Land and Mario Bros. U s

Postby goggy » 15 Nov 2012, 21:40

toaplan wrote:I think the Kotaku writer nailed it. As launch games these aren't as exciting as Twilight Princess for the Wii was. But that's okay, because in a year or so the amazing launch games should finally come, for other systems.


I don't think many people we're bothered about Zelda when the Wii launched (apart from the hardcore ofc). It was all about Wii sports that was bundled in with the system.

They're obviously trying to repeat that success again with Nintendoland, and that's probably why the deluxe packs have sold out.

'But that's okay, because in a year or so the amazing launch games should finally come, for other systems.'

Wii u will have a massive sales lead by the time the other two release, and tbh i'm not bothered by their specs, Wii u games look good enough already, six months down the line, they'll look even better than they do now.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zwMdcESljqg - Still the greatest E3 reveal ever!!!
User avatar
goggy 50
 
Posts: 485
Joined: 03 Mar 2007, 00:59
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Wii U review round-up: Nintendo Land and Mario Bros. U s

Postby stealth » 15 Nov 2012, 21:43

toaplan wrote:
stealth wrote:twilight princess was an exciting launch title? The way I remember it, it was getting nailed as a gamecube port. Not only that it didnt really help move units as a launch game should.


It was a successful launch title in the West, selling with three of four of Wii purchases. And the Wii version did have the motion controls for added novelty value. But in Japan the Wii version underperformed, prompting the following Miyamoto comment:

“Well, I think a lot of people who bought the Wii are not necessarily the types of people who are interested in playing that kind of game. And a lot of the people who would want to play it [due to chronic shortages of the console] can't find a Wii! But mostly, I think it's that there are fewer and fewer people who are interested in playing a big role-playing game like Zelda."

:?

http://vgsales.wikia.com/wiki/The_Legend_of_Zelda


1) Dont link to anything with VG in the name

2) Gamestop has confirmed wii u attach ratio is up 3x over the wii.

3) Sure it sold 3 out of 4 in the west, but it doesnt have 10 million lifetime sales potential like a 2d mario has
stealth 47
 
Posts: 3290
Joined: 02 Dec 2010, 11:34

Re: Wii U review round-up: Nintendo Land and Mario Bros. U s

Postby fatherofthenoo » 15 Nov 2012, 22:04

I think the main difference between a game like NSMBU and a Zelda game, is that Zelda games are new. Whereas a NSMB game is pretty much an HD version of the original DS game with a few additions. So I believe that most gamers will always see a new Zelda as more appealing than a NSMB game. Still, we know that Nintendo are hard at work on their most ambitious Zelda to date, so maybe that will be the killer app that many gamers are waiting for.

But to return to NSMB. People that bought the Wii versions probably already owned the system beforehand. I doubt they bought the system for the game (although I cannot confirm that). So whether this version feels fresh enough to persuade consumers to buy a £240-£300 system, just for the latest game in the series, is going to be interesting.

Don't get me wrong, I am buying the game; I have it pre-ordered in fact. I just don't think it will be enough to draw new people to the console, and certainly not the core gamers. Keeping in mind that that is just my opinion. Now Zombi U on the other hand.... :D
Now playing - Trine 2 Director's Cut, Dino Crisis 2, Devil May Cry, The Cave
User avatar
fatherofthenoo 41
 
Posts: 963
Joined: 16 Jan 2012, 15:42
Location: United Kingdom
PSN ID: fatherofthenoo
Wii Code: WiiU-fatherofthenoo

Re: Wii U review round-up: Nintendo Land and Mario Bros. U s

Postby stealth » 15 Nov 2012, 22:44

fatherofthenoo wrote:I think the main difference between a game like NSMBU and a Zelda game, is that Zelda games are new. Whereas a NSMB game is pretty much an HD version of the original DS game with a few additions. So I believe that most gamers will always see a new Zelda as more appealing than a NSMB game. Still, we know that Nintendo are hard at work on their most ambitious Zelda to date, so maybe that will be the killer app that many gamers are waiting for.

But to return to NSMB. People that bought the Wii versions probably already owned the system beforehand. I doubt they bought the system for the game (although I cannot confirm that). So whether this version feels fresh enough to persuade consumers to buy a £240-£300 system, just for the latest game in the series, is going to be interesting.

Don't get me wrong, I am buying the game; I have it pre-ordered in fact. I just don't think it will be enough to draw new people to the console, and certainly not the core gamers. Keeping in mind that that is just my opinion. Now Zombi U on the other hand.... :D


Uh nsmb U is just as new.

On second thought. I see we will never agtree on this best to agree to disagree.

FYI, the numbers say 2d mario is 10x more appealing than zelda.

SS only sold like 3-4 million........On a bad day a 2d mario might sell double that
stealth 47
 
Posts: 3290
Joined: 02 Dec 2010, 11:34

Re: Wii U review round-up: Nintendo Land and Mario Bros. U s

Postby fatherofthenoo » 15 Nov 2012, 22:54

stealth wrote:On second thought. I see we will never agtree on this best to agree to disagree.

FYI, the numbers say 2d mario is 10x more appealing than zelda.

SS only sold like 3-4 million........On a bad day a 2d mario might sell double that


No, you're right. It is the bigger seller by a long shot. I am just curious as to which one would prove the greater system seller. If a new Zelda game was being released alongside NSMBU for the Wii U launch, which of the two would be the killer app. I guess we'll never know now. Oh well. Still, I'm sure we can all expect hours of fun with NSMBU :D
Now playing - Trine 2 Director's Cut, Dino Crisis 2, Devil May Cry, The Cave
User avatar
fatherofthenoo 41
 
Posts: 963
Joined: 16 Jan 2012, 15:42
Location: United Kingdom
PSN ID: fatherofthenoo
Wii Code: WiiU-fatherofthenoo

Re: Wii U review round-up: Nintendo Land and Mario Bros. U s

Postby Balladeer » 15 Nov 2012, 23:03

I'll probably enjoy both of them, in a solid, relatively unremarkable way. :)
StonecoldMC wrote:The only ones who might Win E3 are the websites like CVG (who again had record traffic to the site for E3 yesterday) who will make millions out of the billions of comments made discussing who f**king won E3.

GNamer, for Nintendo talk.
User avatar
Balladeer 77
 
Posts: 21981
Joined: 07 Feb 2007, 17:57
Location: United Kingdom

Re: Wii U review round-up: Nintendo Land and Mario Bros. U s

Postby stealth » 15 Nov 2012, 23:04

fatherofthenoo wrote:
stealth wrote:On second thought. I see we will never agtree on this best to agree to disagree.

FYI, the numbers say 2d mario is 10x more appealing than zelda.

SS only sold like 3-4 million........On a bad day a 2d mario might sell double that


No, you're right. It is the bigger seller by a long shot. I am just curious as to which one would prove the greater system seller. If a new Zelda game was being released alongside NSMBU for the Wii U launch, which of the two would be the killer app. I guess we'll never know now. Oh well. Still, I'm sure we can all expect hours of fun with NSMBU :D



Well all we know RIGHT NOW. Is that preorders are out pacing the wii in each region with more stock available.

New super mario bros U is sold out on amazon ( not sure if that ever happened with TP)

There is a difference between killer app and system seller.

Killer app is different per person as to what would get them to buy theoretically. A system seller actually pushes units.

New super mario bros U will sell for YEARS. And be on the charts for that long. Its quite simply the perfect launch title.
stealth 47
 
Posts: 3290
Joined: 02 Dec 2010, 11:34

Next

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: flyfletch and 9 guests

The forum teamDelete all forum cookiesAll times are UTC [ DST ]