to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Revolution: The story of Wii

Your comments on our articles.

Nintendo insiders speak: How Microsoft and Sony were a handshake away from thwarting the Wii, and how its motion controller was born on an airplane

In 1998, a journalist for The New Yorker asked Bill Gates which of Microsoft's competitors he feared the most. "I fear someone in a garage who is devising something completely new," he replied.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Revolution: The story of Wii

Postby sakaspuds » 14 Nov 2012, 13:21

very interesting story :)

i can see the wii-u doing well, but i doubt it will be a killer system, i think it will hold its own fairly well until the next xbox and playstation are on the market, then i think it will struggle, unless they manage to get exclusives and lots of 3rd party games, i can see the next console race being won on software not hardware, nintendo getting the jump on next gen, as in having a new console out first, is a clear advantage, but i cant see it being the must have console for multiplatform games in 2 or 3 years, because it will be struggling to keep up with newer game engines and such, assuming sony and ms carry on pushing power and storage, the wii-u will be left with the watered down ports if it manages to get them at all, but thats in a few years time, gamers should initially buy the wii-u in bucket loads because they have been waiting for something new for a few years now
sakaspuds 42

Re: Revolution: The story of Wii

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 14 Nov 2012, 14:16

sakaspuds wrote:very interesting story :)

i can see the wii-u doing well, but i doubt it will be a killer system, i think it will hold its own fairly well until the next xbox and playstation are on the market, then i think it will struggle, unless they manage to get exclusives and lots of 3rd party games, i can see the next console race being won on software not hardware, nintendo getting the jump on next gen, as in having a new console out first, is a clear advantage, but i cant see it being the must have console for multiplatform games in 2 or 3 years, because it will be struggling to keep up with newer game engines and such, assuming sony and ms carry on pushing power and storage, the wii-u will be left with the watered down ports if it manages to get them at all, but thats in a few years time, gamers should initially buy the wii-u in bucket loads because they have been waiting for something new for a few years now

So basically you're saying it'll be the wii all over again. However the wii managed to get plenty of 3rd party exclusives. It's greatest downfall was never really a shortage of software but a complete over abundance of it. Ninetendo need to bring back that seal of quality. They do that and keep the studios they deal with sweet i can see it dominating the next gen like the wii had this one.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Postby runadumb » 14 Nov 2012, 14:34

Great read that.

*Gamecube Forever!*
runadumb 61

Postby Kezwar » 14 Nov 2012, 14:37

Great article Rob. I really wasn't aware of that back-story. It's incredible to think how different this generation could have been had Sony and Microsoft not been so short-sighted. It really is incredible how they turned their fortunes around, but I'm really concerned for their well-being in this new generation. I don't think they'll ever get the bulk of the hard-core audience back, and I doubt the causal audience will be interested anymore. I'll always buy a Nintendo console, but I feel like a dinosaur in an ever evolving world...
let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little f**ked up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to fuckin' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?
Kezwar 44

Xbox Live: Kezwar
PSN ID: Kezwar

Postby eltonbird » 14 Nov 2012, 14:50

Excellent article!

Amazing how many decisions led us to where we are now. Nintendo (then Sega) could have had the PS1 hardware, Sega could have partnered on Xbox1, MS or Sony could have had the Wii controller..

How different things might have been.
eltonbird 54

Postby StonecoldMC » 14 Nov 2012, 14:53

Yip, agree with everyone else. Fantastic read, informative and interesting a hard thing to do. And as someone else has mentioned GamecubeFTW!!!
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 80
Global Moderator

Postby Jingee » 14 Nov 2012, 15:02

Fantastic article, so many memories of the hysteria back at school when the Wii remote was announced. We were all huddled round a Nintendo gaming mag with a picture of the Wiimote being held in someone hand on the cover.
Jingee 50

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 14 Nov 2012, 15:38

Think of if they had decided to make it as powerful a the PS3 or 360. Doing that probably saved sony and ms from complete destruction if you think about it.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Postby a_adji » 14 Nov 2012, 15:53

Very good read although rushed in bits. Killed sometime in the office with that one.
a_adji 47

Postby a_adji » 14 Nov 2012, 15:54

Very good read although rushed in bits. Killed sometime in the office with that one.
a_adji 47

Postby catman » 14 Nov 2012, 17:46

WHERESMYMONKEY wrote:Think of if they had decided to make it as powerful a the PS3 or 360. Doing that probably saved sony and ms from complete destruction if you think about it.

I disagree completely. I reckon it would have sold far less because of the higher price and higher development costs. The beauty of the Wii is in it's simplicity.
catman 8

Postby FishyGinger » 14 Nov 2012, 17:48

catman wrote:
WHERESMYMONKEY wrote:Think of if they had decided to make it as powerful a the PS3 or 360. Doing that probably saved sony and ms from complete destruction if you think about it.

I disagree completely. I reckon it would have sold far less because of the higher price and higher development costs. The beauty of the Wii is in it's simplicity.

That's what I was thinking. higher price means the family think more about buying it rather than more of an impulse, and many gamers had a 'main' console and a wii due to the lower price, they could have shot themselves in the foot maybe.

Great article though.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 69

Postby catman » 14 Nov 2012, 17:57

Exactly, it would have been a bloody massive risk that wouldn't have worked. Fantastic article indeed 8)
catman 8

Postby Balladeer » 14 Nov 2012, 20:03

Good read, Rob, and the sort of thing that I miss from magazine days. The Wii may not have been an unmitigated success for the consumer, but it saved Nintendo. Here's hoping the WiiU can channel some of its magic, along with a steadier supply of top games.

Although the main thing I drew from that article was, "the PS2 sold how many?"
StonecoldMC wrote:The only ones who might Win E3 are the websites like CVG (who again had record traffic to the site for E3 yesterday) who will make millions out of the billions of comments made discussing who f**king won E3.

GNamer, for Nintendo talk.
Balladeer 77

Postby theideal » 14 Nov 2012, 20:33

More stuff like this please *high five*
Just in case this place goes down suddenly, bookmark...
http://cvgsc.boards.net/
theideal 72

Next