to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Epic Games: 'next-gen games will cost double to develop'

Your comments on our articles.

Company founder Tim Sweeney fears budgets will climb even further

The cost of developing games at the start of the next-generation of consoles will double next to spending during the same period on current-gen hardware, Epic Games founder Tim Sweeney has predicted.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Epic Games: 'next-gen games will cost double to develop'

Postby Skullet » 14 Nov 2012, 01:19

It'll only double if Epic charge people twice as much to use Unreal Engine next gen.
Skullet 60

Re: Epic Games: 'next-gen games will cost double to develop'

Postby gypsygib » 14 Nov 2012, 01:31

Profits are thin enough, I imagine most games to look like higher res, better frame rates versions of current games with way better effects and lighting.
gypsygib 24

Postby Two Pennys Worth » 14 Nov 2012, 01:53

Expect games to be twice as short as the current gen games then.
Two Pennys Worth 56

Postby IAmTheWalrus » 14 Nov 2012, 01:55

gypsygib wrote:Profits are thin enough, I imagine most games to look like higher res, better frame rates versions of current games with way better effects and lighting.

I'm looking forward to next gen AI, physics and animations as opposed to jaw dropping graphics.
IAmTheWalrus 21

Postby Fr33Kye » 14 Nov 2012, 02:18

IAmTheWalrus wrote:
gypsygib wrote:Profits are thin enough, I imagine most games to look like higher res, better frame rates versions of current games with way better effects and lighting.

I'm looking forward to next gen AI, physics and animations as opposed to jaw dropping graphics.

That stuff takes a lot of time and money as well.

Double sounds a lot better than 4-5 times......If the costs only doubled every generation since like ps1, PS3 games would cost 4 million to make! Still doubling already high costs isn't great either. We need to make sure we can have a varied library for consoles. We can't shy away from rayman origins and double fine games. Honestly i think the vita is kind of getting it right because everything was digital from day one. Obviously it has issues but it has lots of different price points for games. That's all we can hope for next gen.
Fr33Kye 71

Postby Old Skool Gamer » 14 Nov 2012, 08:53

Why, we already have next gen on PC, just a simple portover.

God they talk b*****ks these people.
We can't stop now, this is Bat Country!
Old Skool Gamer 38

PSN ID: xXI_OLDSKOOL_IXx

Postby richomack360 » 14 Nov 2012, 09:18

Hello computer game devs - when did we all, as the gaming public, start demanding better and better graphics ? Do you think we watch these dull tech demos and go "WOW, I hope the entire game will look like that!!" nope, we didn't.

Concentrate on gameplay, AI and fun factor please. Graphics are not a deal breaker with me.

I still have more fun playing 4 player micro machines on the Mega Drive than I do on some current gen games (with flashy graphics)
Twitter - @richomack360, XBL: richomack360

R.I.P. Rik Mayall - British comedy has lost an icon and a jolly nice b'stard.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360

Postby AJDarkstar » 14 Nov 2012, 09:32

This is why I hope the Wii U will do well - the games will be cheaper to make in the meantime, and costs will drop for those used to it by the time the Nextbox and Orbis put in an appearance, so the Wii U should get all the awesome small dev games the Wii got.
Not only that, but it sounds like the Wii U can handle far better physics than either the 360 or PS3.
That'll be a win-win for Nintendo fans then.
Sadly, most casual gamers will be lured in by Fifa, COD, etc, and go for either MS or Sony's next machine, just because it has "better graphics."
http://ade-hawkins.blogspot.com/
AJDarkstar 47

Xbox Live: A J Darkstar
PSN ID: AJDarkstar
Steam: AJDarkstar

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 14 Nov 2012, 10:04

Doube the costs is still an insane increase when you are talking millions of pounds. If developing next gen becomes as expensive as it sounds, it'll just further push devs towards making titles for hardware thats not so costly. So probably more iOS games but hopefullt a lot more wiiU titles as well.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Postby a_adji » 14 Nov 2012, 10:08

Skullet wrote:It'll only double if Epic charge people twice as much to use Unreal Engine next gen.

stupid comment. If they don't cover cost then how do they stay in business and not go the way of Midway, THQ (soon).

Think before you speak child.
a_adji 47

Postby a_adji » 14 Nov 2012, 10:09

This is why people need to open their eyes and see Nintendo's strategy by playing off slight middle tech.
a_adji 47

Postby toaplan » 14 Nov 2012, 11:45

WHERESMYMONKEY wrote:Doube the costs is still an insane increase when you are talking millions of pounds. If developing next gen becomes as expensive as it sounds, it'll just further push devs towards making titles for hardware thats not so costly. So probably more iOS games but hopefullt a lot more wiiU titles as well.

I think they'll just release fewer AAA games for next-gen systems, but the quality control will be tighter due to the bigger investment. Those big games will then by "monetized" further and thanks to the increased quality they have a chance of attracting a potentially larger global audience anyway. The more experimental lower-budget games can be released on PSN / XBL.
toaplan 73

Postby fatherofthenoo » 14 Nov 2012, 11:55

After seeing so many developers making a loss at the moment, expecting them to pay twice as much, if not more, to develop their games, is completely unsustainable and a sure fire way to cripple this industry completely. Can't these fools understand? There is nothing wrong with current technology. We just need some new engines and some new ideas.
Now playing - Trine 2 Director's Cut, Dino Crisis 2, Devil May Cry, The Cave
fatherofthenoo 41

PSN ID: fatherofthenoo
Wii Code: WiiU-fatherofthenoo

Postby MRHONGKONGDAVE » 14 Nov 2012, 12:00

They have developed an engine that hasn't yet been used for anything other than two demos! During the production of said demos the techs are still getting used to programming etc hence why with a little more time and experience they produced demo number two on a lot tighter budget and turn around.

Like others are saying there are plenty of amazing games out for PC that would easily port across for similar res and fps.
MRHONGKONGDAVE 35

Xbox Live: MRHONGKONGDAVE
PSN ID: MRHONGKONGDAVE
Steam: MRHONGKONGDAVE
Battle.net: MRHONGKONGDAVE (origin)

Postby Fr33Kye » 14 Nov 2012, 12:05

AJDarkstar wrote:This is why I hope the Wii U will do well - the games will be cheaper to make in the meantime, and costs will drop for those used to it by the time the Nextbox and Orbis put in an appearance, so the Wii U should get all the awesome small dev games the Wii got.
Not only that, but it sounds like the Wii U can handle far better physics than either the 360 or PS3.
That'll be a win-win for Nintendo fans then.
Sadly, most casual gamers will be lured in by Fifa, COD, etc, and go for either MS or Sony's next machine, just because it has "better graphics."

oh my god, why are you still around
Fr33Kye 71

Next