to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Xbox World and PSM3 magazines to close

Your comments on our articles.

Final issues of unofficial UK publications go on sale next month

UK media business Future has confirmed the closure of Xbox World and PSM3 magazines in the UK, as it continues its focus on digital growth.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby StonecoldMC » 13 Nov 2012, 12:48

Sad days indeed and thoughts go out to those that will be affected by the loss of employment, although hopefully they can find alternative work within Future.

14 million unique's though? Holy s**t that's a lot of ad slots, its understandable that print slowly fades away, its pretty much whats happening with the company I work for too, albeit a bit more slowly cause were a daily.
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 80
Global Moderator

Postby svd_grasshopper » 13 Nov 2012, 12:48

future is history.
I LIKE ELECTRO, I LIKE RETRO, I LIKE GHETTO: HOUSE & TECHNO!
svd_grasshopper 62

Postby Feds » 13 Nov 2012, 12:49

I am sad to hear PSM3 is closing down, they have the most interesting of reads to me.
Right here in South Africa.
Thanks for the good reading the PSM3.
Feds 20

Postby Megatrons_Fury » 13 Nov 2012, 12:53

Again a shame that people are out of a job but mostly because its another nail in the coffin of printed media.

In the US future closed the official ps3 magazine last week and i mentioned that they would probably do something similar here, thats not going to be the end of it either.

Probably very soon only the official Nintendo, ps3 and 360 mag will be left, to be fair the market was never big enough for multiple publications for each format and hasnt been for about 18 months.

Magazines and their in depth coverage and interviews going to be replaced by mostly lack lustre 200 word multi page gossip is not what a lot of us want, unfortunately like most things nowadays people find information hard to absorb unless its massively dumbed down with moving pictures. One day none are going to exist.....What a horrible situation this is.

What used to pass as a journalist 5 years ago and what will pass in 5 years is a bit scary. Good luck to all those who worked on those mags, hope you find something else quick.
Megatrons_Fury 50

Re: Xbox World and PSM3 magazines to close

Postby CrispyLog » 13 Nov 2012, 12:59

So when the next gen comes around, there'll be no gaming magazines left. Sad times indeed. But when you're aiming a magazine at young people who are tech savvy and have access to the internet you're just playing the waiting game until the end.
Genius behind Niptendo (TM pending)

I distrust patriotism; the reasonable man can find little in these days that is worth dying for. But dying against - there's enough iniquity in Europe to carry the most urbane or decadent into battle.
CrispyLog 74

Xbox Live: SlowBurn87
xFire: CrispyLog

Postby MinxOfInsolence » 13 Nov 2012, 13:01

A necessary evil of the online world we live in. Hopefully all those affected can continue working for the digital end of XBW and PSM3!

Just makes me think, i haven't bought a magazine in about 7 years..
MinxOfInsolence 17

Xbox Live: MinxOfInsolence
PSN ID: MinxOfInsolence

Postby Cogglesz » 13 Nov 2012, 13:21

Not too happy to see these mags close but yeah i agree they're pretty much no longer needed, the last i used them was the ps2 days, they were great back then, every month you'd get a ton of info, now a days its just a click and there the daily news with almost instant updates are shown to you of what goes on in the gaming world, its just evolved greatly, it be nice to see the staff moved over to increase the digital side of it all though.
http://i.imgur.com/ShWjhnH.png
Cogglesz 59

PSN ID: Cogglesz
Steam: Cogglesz
Battle.net: TheCogglesz#2186
xFire: Cogglesz

Postby Solm » 13 Nov 2012, 13:39

Good to hear that no redundancies. I have bought PSM3 over the years (have the current edition at home). But I think gaming magazines are a thing of the past thanks to internet and sites like CVG. Information is more instant now a days.
PSN ID: Solm67
I'm a father that doesn't want to grow up.
Solm 52

Xbox Live: SOLM
PSN ID: Solm67
Steam: Solm1967

Postby ensabahnur » 13 Nov 2012, 13:52

Megatrons_Fury wrote:
What used to pass as a journalist 5 years ago and what will pass in 5 years is a bit scary.
That just reminds me of one of Spider's rants in Transmetropolitan. Journalists who are just told what to print. Its the future, now.
"Your taste buds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!"
ensabahnur 68

Xbox Live: Sk1dmark 76
PSN ID: FLANGEMAN
Steam: Ensabahnur

Postby MisterBedo » 13 Nov 2012, 13:54

I'm still getting over Amstrad Action being canned :(
GT: MrBedo
I gave Brucie the goat at Twickenham.
MisterBedo 64

Postby budge » 13 Nov 2012, 14:06

I could see this coming to be honest because lately i've been seeing articles on this website that i've previously read in PSM3. Such a shame, i've been a subscriber to PSM3 since nearly the very beginning of its PSM2 days.

I wish Dan and his team all the best for the future.
Los Rojiblancos
budge 66

Postby spaceman_DOUG » 13 Nov 2012, 14:17

Dan, Milf, Rich, And, Owen, but not Nathan you heart-breaker, I salute you, PSM3 has been a constant source of awesome and I will miss you greatly.
     Last.fm | Raptr | NationStates | Twitter

As with sonar, the big problem with detection is interpreting the returning signals.
spaceman_DOUG 69

PSN ID: spacemanDOUG
Steam: spacemanDOUG

Postby The Bossman » 13 Nov 2012, 14:24

f**king ridiculous, looks like I'm giving up on PS3 mags then. PSM3 was the only one I read all the way through. Well done for killing your magazines Future, c**ts.
The Bossman 44

PSN ID: the_bossman222

Postby svd_grasshopper » 13 Nov 2012, 14:31

wonder how the GTA V reveal done for game informer, even though it was ripped and upped within minutes probably... still must have been good business for them.

was it simply a deal they done with rockstar, or did rockstar want to reveal it in a mag? a mag reveal is probably a bigger deal than a crappy web reveal. so mags aren't dead yet. entirely.

they day a 'mag' goes digital-only is a bad one. the soul is missing in the transition to digital, the art form basically dies, and it is laid bare as a comerical affair for all to see... in which case, the info can can had elsewhere for free.

i know i will buy EDGE just for the lush GTA V cover. no way i'd buy a s**tty app version.

i was tempted for this issue because of the cover.

Last edited by svd_grasshopper on 13 Nov 2012, 14:41, edited 2 times in total.
I LIKE ELECTRO, I LIKE RETRO, I LIKE GHETTO: HOUSE & TECHNO!
svd_grasshopper 62

Postby mattdark » 13 Nov 2012, 14:40

Thats a shame, PSM3 was my choice of magazine for playstation info, though I couldnt help but notice the amount of articles/reviews that would end up online, including here on CVG.

Just wondering, I have a subscription to PSM3, im assuming the contract will just be cancelled after the final issue.
Time to rock n' ruin!
PSN - MattDark86
360 - MattDarkZero
mattdark 50

PSN ID: MattDark86

Next