Ubisoft CEO wants the Wii U to be cheaper

Your comments on our articles.

"I can't say I'm happy" - Yves Guillemot

Despite supporting its launch with several high profile titles, the CEO of Ubisoft is unhappy with the launch prices for the Nintendo Wii U.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Ubisoft CEO wants the Wii U to be cheaper

Postby TOKEN » 13 Nov 2012, 08:50

Although im getting premium,i still think its over priced for a late current gen console,which should have been in the 250 bracket and basic 200.I suppose Ninty are hoping nextbox and ps4 are 399 bracket.
Valve Steam Box please make it happen.Maybe not?
TOKEN 51

Xbox Live: ILL SAVE YA
PSN ID: TOKEN_CVG
Wii Code: 5632-4064-3535-4012

Re: Ubisoft CEO wants the Wii U to be cheaper

Postby Balladeer » 13 Nov 2012, 09:02

I don't like the prices either, but we'll see. Also, why the heck is he comparing it to an iPad? That's just...

RIP CVG. Future can get stuffed.

Find me on GNamer or the CVG Survivors' Club.
Balladeer 78

Postby SavageEvil » 13 Nov 2012, 09:04

Why doesn't that ass sell his games for cheaper then? Cheap system but games cost a pound and a crown, what sort of dumb logic is that? CEO's talk too much, this one needs to shut up more. Perhaps he should tell MS and Sony to sell their systems cheaper too, guaranteed for them to listen to him. Won't happen as they must recoup the R&D costs of building the damn system, 250 and 300 aren't much at all, when prices start going beyond the 300 mark for the basic system then you start to scratch your head.
SavageEvil 51

Postby illage2 » 13 Nov 2012, 10:54

SavageEvil wrote:Why doesn't that ass sell his games for cheaper then? Cheap system but games cost a pound and a crown, what sort of dumb logic is that? CEO's talk too much, this one needs to shut up more. Perhaps he should tell MS and Sony to sell their systems cheaper too, guaranteed for them to listen to him. Won't happen as they must recoup the R&D costs of building the damn system, 250 and 300 aren't much at all, when prices start going beyond the 300 mark for the basic system then you start to scratch your head.

MS and Sony do sell their systems cheaper.

My Xbox 4GB cost me about £150 without any games.
ImageImage
illage2 54

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Postby dwhlufc » 13 Nov 2012, 11:03

I'd be tempted if there was a third option from Nintendo. Maybe a bundle without the tablet controller and the oroboad instead. that would drive the price right down, plus I have zero interest in the new tablet-controller.
dwhlufc 76

Postby AJDarkstar » 13 Nov 2012, 11:04

How is 4X power of PS3/360 current gen? This may not be as powerful as the Nextbox and Orbis (or whatever), but power isn't everything, and it's more than enough for devs to get to grips with quickly. And if it's this good now, imagine what we'll be seeing in a few years. Here's hoping it can break the 3rd-party Ninty curse.
http://ade-hawkins.blogspot.com/
AJDarkstar 47

Xbox Live: A J Darkstar
PSN ID: AJDarkstar
Steam: AJDarkstar

Postby StonecoldMC » 13 Nov 2012, 11:16

I want an Assassins Creed Game that doesn't come with that bloody uPlay thing!
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 82
Global Moderator

Postby Barry316 » 13 Nov 2012, 11:18

dwhlufc wrote:Maybe a bundle without the tablet controller and the oroboad instead.

I've said it before and i'll say it again, please don't ever get a phone without a crazy autocorrect.

I don't know what an oroboad is but i'd buy one as well. Stealth already has two ordered.
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 67

Postby Jamesworkshop » 13 Nov 2012, 11:43

this is barely a story, who ever wants to pay a higher price, only the seller (nintendo) wants to charge more than they are bound to by the market
Jamesworkshop 15

Postby fatherofthenoo » 13 Nov 2012, 11:53

dwhlufc wrote:I'd be tempted if there was a third option from Nintendo. Maybe a bundle without the tablet controller and the oroboad instead. that would drive the price right down, plus I have zero interest in the new tablet-controller.

Why don't you buy one and then sell the gamepad on eBay? I bet you could fetch a pretty price for it.
Now playing - Trine 2 Director's Cut, Dino Crisis 2, Devil May Cry, The Cave
fatherofthenoo 41

PSN ID: fatherofthenoo
Wii Code: WiiU-fatherofthenoo

Postby toaplan » 13 Nov 2012, 11:59

Sounds like Mr. Guillemot is having second thoughts now and is thinking about cancelling his preorder and waiting for a pricedrop.
toaplan 74

Postby dwhlufc » 13 Nov 2012, 12:46

Barry316 wrote:
dwhlufc wrote:Maybe a bundle without the tablet controller and the oroboad instead.

I've said it before and i'll say it again, please don't ever get a phone without a crazy autocorrect.

I don't know what an oroboad is but i'd buy one as well. Stealth already has two ordered.

It's what I like to call the propad :oops:

I just had to edit that again, it autocorrects it to leopard! :P
dwhlufc 76

Postby Sangor » 13 Nov 2012, 12:48

StonecoldMC wrote:I want an Assassins Creed Game that doesn't come with that bloody uPlay thing!

Uplay makes EA's Origin look good.
Costa Panayi
Sangor 51

Postby FishyGinger » 13 Nov 2012, 13:00

Sangor wrote:
StonecoldMC wrote:I want an Assassins Creed Game that doesn't come with that bloody uPlay thing!

Uplay makes EA's Origin look good.

I thought it was just something in-game where if you do certain things you can unlock themes and what have you coupled with a form of online pass. Not sure if it's different on pc but aren't they completely different?
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 71

Postby Agent75 » 13 Nov 2012, 16:18

When you weigh it up, the Wii U is probably one of the most expensive consoles of all time, when you consider buying other stuff to go with it. If you don't own a Wii, buying the Basic Pack for around £260, 2 games for around £80, Remote and Sensor Pack for around £50, for 2 player games, you could push the boat out and buy another Remote and Sensor Pack, if you want daft things like the console and gamepad stands, it just adds to the cost, add it up... At that price, I'd of expected a hard drive, rather than those SD cards which can sell for silly prices. If Nintendo can sell a console for such a high price, I can see Microsoft and Sony having a go with their next consoles. Once the Wii U is out, the typical shortage will come along, silly prices on eBay etc., Xbox 360 and PS3 will slump, but maybe not some much if there's a price drop. Not good news for the Vita either. So a full set up will cost around £450. But out of it all, not having a hard drive just begs belief, when you consider even the XBox 360 back in 2005 came with one, even if it was only a 20GB.
Agent75 49

Next