to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Final Fantasy XIV trailer: Witness the end of an era

Your comments on our articles.

Impressive cinematic paves the way for the launch of A Real Reborn

Square Enix has released a new trailer for Final Fantasy XIV: A Real Reborn.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Final Fantasy XIV trailer: Witness the end of an era

Postby Sangor » 12 Nov 2012, 17:13

Square's games may be somewhat hit and miss but their cinematics are always wonderfully done.
Costa Panayi
Sangor 51

Re: Final Fantasy XIV trailer: Witness the end of an era

Postby lifebrink » 12 Nov 2012, 21:19

Stunning visuals but I aint got a clue what I just saw... Remake of FFXIV? So is realm reborn a new game or a patch for the first??? Ive not been keeping up in FF games since X.

If this is a new game id part with some cash on the basis of that video
Banjaxed:
..a term often used to describe incredible drunkeness. normally used in retrospect however in some prolonged cases of intoxication subjects have been found to admit to being "banjaxed."
lifebrink 63

PSN ID: SunTzu_79

Postby Alibotify » 12 Nov 2012, 22:22

Hooooly damn!!
Aaaaaamazing, best thing i've seen in years, feels like a solid Final Fantasy!!

Althou, I will probably never buy this game.....
Alibotify 13
New user

PSN ID: alibotify

Postby lordirongut » 13 Nov 2012, 06:18

lifebrink wrote:Stunning visuals but I aint got a clue what I just saw... Remake of FFXIV? So is realm reborn a new game or a patch for the first??? Ive not been keeping up in FF games since X.

If this is a new game id part with some cash on the basis of that video

A Realm Reborn is a completely new, built-from-the-ground-up game, although it is being delivered for free to all existing owners. Essentially, the developers realised that the initial game had fundamental flaws and while they've done their best to improve it until the new version launches, some problems weren't fixable - server lag owing to the way the servers were made, huge but empty and massively recycled areas, engine limitations which meant that MMO basics like auction houses weren't possible and they also meant that the game had wildly disproportionate system requirements (interestingly, A Realm Reborn runs on maximum settings on what would be Medium in the original game, and it looks better to boot). Back when they first announced A Realm Reborn it was called FFXIV 2.0, and people were joking that they should have just called it Final Fantasy XIV-2!
"Our world cannot be viewed through the glasses of common sense" - Masato Arai.

Twitter: @hyakushiki1234
JRPG/Japanese Culture blog: http://shrinetoamaterasu.blogspot.com/
lordirongut 67

PSN ID: lordirongut

Postby lifebrink » 13 Nov 2012, 09:38

Cheers for that lordirongut! Have you played the first XIV?
Banjaxed:
..a term often used to describe incredible drunkeness. normally used in retrospect however in some prolonged cases of intoxication subjects have been found to admit to being "banjaxed."
lifebrink 63

Postby shane239 » 13 Nov 2012, 10:28

lifebrink wrote:Cheers for that lordirongut! Have you played the first XIV?

I played the current, no outdated :D, version of XIV. I played the game since April 2011. Since then the game has been getting better and better. If SE can deliver on half of what they promise for 2.0 then I think the game should get a very solid reception. But I would not expect 2.0 before June if I was you. They need to get this launch right or the game will die very quickly!
shane239 18
New user

Postby lifebrink » 13 Nov 2012, 12:26

Is XIV online shane or just SP?
Banjaxed:
lifebrink 63

Postby lordirongut » 13 Nov 2012, 13:18

I indeed played XIV 1.0 :) I was there at the launch, which was famously disastrous - even the CEO of Square admitted that the game had 'damaged the Final Fantasy brand', and Square's executives are famously hard-headed. They basically launched the game with no content! The only stuff to do before the cap was grind on monsters or do Levequests, which were the same five or so missions repeated ad nauseum. Even reaching the cap was made extremely difficult by the deeply unpopular fatigue system, which meant that after a certain amount of playtime you couldn't gain EXP on the class you were using. Square claimed it was to encourage multiple-class play, but instead it just annoyed everyone.

Roughly three months after launch, they removed the original leadership on the team and replaced them - the most notable change being Hiromichi Tanaka stepping down in favour of Naoki Yoshida. Yoshida's new team did their best with the tools they had, but the story goes that after two months with him at the helm they had decided to remake the game because 1.0 was unsustainable in the long-term (it really was a barely functional game at launch - no mounts, no easy way to search for items on the marketplace, a very limited selection of enemies, literally no quests, limited endgame and a UI so abysmally laggy that you could practically fly to Tokyo in the time it took to sell inventory items). They really did try their best - pretty much fixing a good chunk of that in the subsequent patches - but the original design was never up to scratch and they realized that. Since then, they've had a team adding new content to 1.0 (which has been significant - lots of bosses, quality raid content, new dungeons, new quests, new weapons, mounts and even a Job System) and another developing A Realm Reborn, which really is a sequel to the original game in many ways. Still, even in 1.0, Yoshida took what was there and made it both playable and enjoyable - no masterpiece, but I enjoyed my latter days with 1.0 very much, and after the state of the launch game that was no mean feat.

They've literally burned 1.0 with fire now. The large and expansive but extremely repetitive areas are out and replaced with a WoW or FFXI-style map with smaller but more diverse areas. The old engine is gone, and it and the servers are replaced with new, ground-up and purpose built ones. Or so they promise, but Yoshida had genuinely delivered on all of his promises so far with the community - him and his team have listened and been very open and communicative, so we're all anticipated ARR as a result. It's more exciting than the original launch! It is online-only, though, and it requires a subscription fee.
"Our world cannot be viewed through the glasses of common sense" - Masato Arai.

Twitter: @hyakushiki1234
JRPG/Japanese Culture blog: http://shrinetoamaterasu.blogspot.com/
lordirongut 67

PSN ID: lordirongut

Postby lifebrink » 13 Nov 2012, 13:36

Thank you for the detailed info, very informative! I think I will add this to my 'would like to try' games list!
Banjaxed:
lifebrink 63

Postby shane239 » 13 Nov 2012, 15:09

Well said lordirongut.

I look forward to 2.0 greatly and hope that Yoshi-P can continue to deliver on his very high quality gaming experience that he did since he took over.

One thing I would say, I came for the game stayed for the community. Without my Linkshell/Guild I would have left the game within a month I would say. So if you do look into the game when it comes out try and find a good community to play with. It makes all the difference!
shane239 18
New user