to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

GAME 'in good shape', on course for £20m profit

Your comments on our articles.

CEO Martyn Gibbs backs owner OpCapita following Comet collapse

The boss of GAME Group insists the retailer is in "good shape" following its takeover by private investment firm OpCapita earlier this year.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby Two Pennys Worth » 12 Nov 2012, 16:03

Great news, if only for the thousands of employees that remain.
Two Pennys Worth 56

Postby Megatrons_Fury » 12 Nov 2012, 16:08

What a stupid story, Its not 20 million in profit at all once all expenses are taken away. Congratulations on a SUN newspaper headline.

Game are in a terrible state, in the past month i have visited several stores in my area (3 counties people, rich area, ner!) and theres never anybody in them so how does that look for say an area not so rich???, in fact i have just come back from my very local one where myself and a mate were basically the only people in there for nearly 25 minutes at lunchtime, not good really.

At xmas everything seems fine because footfall increases and the major triple A games are snapped up left and right but anyone who thinks GAME are in a good place are naive or just lying to themselves. Profit margins on triple A titles are small, same for consoles and nobody likes their pre-owned prices in the slightest. Game really need to sort their stock presence out with a much larger variety of back catalogue games on all major formats, i just saw their 3DS section, im not joking it had less than 20 games, for a console that shifts so many units thats terrible.

I dont want them to go, i really dont but nothing has changed from before the collapse, fair play in closing so many duplicate stores in towns to cut costs etc but as soon as feb/march 2013 rolls around the true picture will emerge.

Online retailers are killing them across all departments, choice, price, availability and quantity.

I dont know maybe new consoles etc will kickstart an instore revival but somehow i dont think its ever going to be the same again, shame.
Megatrons_Fury 50

Re: GAME 'in good shape', on course for £20m profit

Postby S-Smith » 12 Nov 2012, 16:11

God knows how. I suppose they had to many Shops & were losing money there. Because the prices of games are still MEGA-SH*T at GAME:-/
S-Smith 41

Postby metallicorphan » 12 Nov 2012, 16:13

good,now get rid of that bag of s**t automated phone service that is absolutely no f**king use whatsoever
metallicorphan 60

Xbox Live: metallicorphan
PSN ID: metallicorphan
Wii Code: 8008135-111111111

Postby illage2 » 12 Nov 2012, 16:21

You all realise that once the Summer games drout comes in again GAME will have finanical trouble again.
ImageImage
illage2 54

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Postby Jingee » 12 Nov 2012, 16:26

I went into my local Game (Chester) the other day for the first time in a month, and the changes made were massive.

1) An actual PC gaming section, with more than one drop, and VERY competitive prices (cheaper than Steam in more than a few places)
2) Appealing to families with employees tailored to show you what Kinect, Move, etc was. I didn't have a go, but there were a few families about, and they were loving it.
3) Sections tailored to different games, such as a Pokemon, Mario and Sklanders all getting their own.
4) I WASN'T HARASSED ONCE.

Maybe, just maybe, they've learnt their lesson. It was loads busier than I've seen a Game in a long time, too.
Jingee 50

Postby Beetle Bum » 12 Nov 2012, 16:28

Anarchism creates instability and destroys a good civilization
Beetle Bum 50

Postby Agent75 » 12 Nov 2012, 16:38

Still a great mystery how GAME keeps going. Maybe it's down to having less stores, as the amount of stores they once had was just comical, not forgetting their Gamestation stores. I've not bought anything from GAME and Gamestation since the Dreamcast days, I'm not daft enough to pay their daft prices. I was in one of their stores last week, I saw used games selling for the same price as new games, I just couldn't make it out. I also saw used games selling for double the price of new games because the new games was in the sale. I've read a lot of comments (about GAME) over the years and I still agree that the bulk of their customers are parents who just don't realise what they're buying. But in all fairness, the likes of Play, Amazon and Shopto have started to get expensive just like GAME. I'll never change from waiting for games to drop in price (to under £20). I've just bought one game online for £14.86, another for £17.99 and another for £11.86. Use you loaf!
Agent75 48

Postby Rick_1138 » 12 Nov 2012, 17:01

I have been in the Aberdeen shop quite a bit recently and its always heaving, 3 folk on the tills and a que through the shop.

The union street shop has closed, it was getting grubby, and the gamestation up the road is going the same way. However i would rather GAME didnt die, its the only place to get PC games now as HMV has stopped selling them too.

I dont mind online but its nice to be able to pick up something while in town and play it at night.

But they do need to sort out their pricing though, got Halo 4 from them as i had about £5 on my reward card but saw in tesco it was the price i paid after the discount straight off the bat, i am getting BLOPS 2 from Tesco as have about £20 in clubcard vouchers.

But GAME need to be weened off the second hand crack addicition they have.
Rick_1138 33

Postby beemoh » 12 Nov 2012, 17:32

Rick_1138 wrote:But GAME need to be weened off the second hand crack addicition they have.

This.

I was in the Gamestation in Reading yesterday (which is, to be fair, probably going to shut soon as they've re-opened the GAME around the corner) the 360 games made up seven of those compartments the shelves on the wall are in (Drops as Jingee calls them?)- five of them were densely-packed pre-owned games, one was the download cards, and only one was new titles, very sparsely laid out.

Worst thing is, that was the best-supported format there. No wonder developers and publishers are rushing to digital, and consumers are buying their discs from Amazon.
RIP Nintendo Gamer, we hardly knew ye. #OccupyFuturesExecTeam
beemoh 59

Postby Mini-Nev » 12 Nov 2012, 17:40

That their prices they only need to sell about 5 games to make that much money. They learnt nothing from nearly going under.
"There's always a lighthouse, there's always a man, there's always a city."
Mini-Nev 43

Xbox Live: minin3v
PSN ID: MLNLN3V

Postby Inspector74 » 12 Nov 2012, 19:47

I just hate game man theyre an absolute bunch of tossers theyre shops theyre pricing the fact they get buy up lots of exclusive DLC really p**ses me off ( in general not just game) i never ever have any need to shop here Shopto is cheaper easier quicker and theyre customer service is just excellent :D
Inspector74 36

Postby leucocyte » 12 Nov 2012, 22:08

beemoh wrote:
Rick_1138 wrote:No wonder developers and publishers are rushing to digital, and consumers are buying their discs from Amazon.

publishers (EA) are rushing into it because they hope everybody will be idiotic enough to pay £60 on PSN for the likes of MoH and NFS, instead of picking it up for around £35 on disc brand new (MoH was £29 on shopto at the weekend for xbox360/ps3 and that's only 2 weeks after release). maybe the UK is a bit of an anomaly, i dunno, because in the US and europe there doesn't seem to such drastic undercutting of the RRP from retailers. games in the US tend to cost $60 new regardless of where you get them. i think we'll see a standard £60 RRP for xbox720/ps4 games though. :?
leucocyte 54

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 12 Nov 2012, 22:17

Jingee wrote:I went into my local Game (Chester) the other day for the first time in a month, and the changes made were massive.

1) An actual PC gaming section, with more than one drop, and VERY competitive prices (cheaper than Steam in more than a few places)
2) Appealing to families with employees tailored to show you what Kinect, Move, etc was. I didn't have a go, but there were a few families about, and they were loving it.
3) Sections tailored to different games, such as a Pokemon, Mario and Sklanders all getting their own.

Maybe, just maybe, they've learnt their lesson. It was loads busier than I've seen a Game in a long time, too.

Whoa whoa whoa don't come in here talking the truth, everyone hates Game remember? I went in the other day and got Borderlands 2 for £20 new and saw WRC3 for £20 new and Dishonoured for £30 new amongst others..... oh wait thats a good thing.

People forget how tough the high street is, equatable to online? It's the economy dummy....

KK-Headcharge78 63

Xbox Live: Bison VS Mario
PSN ID: slypuss7881
Steam: slypuss7881

Postby alan666 » 12 Nov 2012, 22:18

Jingee wrote:I went into my local Game (Chester) the other day for the first time in a month, and the changes made were massive.

My local Game has always been like this, i think the managers of each store were allowed to do too much their own way, the manager of my local store actually knows about games as i have spoken to him, he is not just some nob working there.

I know the story about the £20m profit is not actually the 'true' story but i think they are in better shape than they were, i just hope they can keep going with the improvements.

One thing that really p**ses me off about these stories about Game is the idiot trolls that keep on about how much games cost in Game, they have such tiny brains i am surprised that they know how to press a button let alone press combinations of them to write on here, please try & grow up & not act like a total fool !
used to own - NES, Atari ST, Amiga 500, Mega Drive, SNK Neo Geo, SNES, Saturn, N64, PS2, GameCube, Alienware Aurora.
currently own - PS1, Xbox, Xbox360 + Kinect, Wii, PS3 + MOVE, 3DS, Games PC, Wii U.
alan666 55

Xbox Live: B1G A1AN
Steam: full_life_666
Battle.net: Origin + full_life_666
xFire: 3DS + 0087-2285-0027

Next