to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Silicon Knights ordered to destroy unsold copies of X-Men De

Your comments on our articles.

Buy it on eBay while you can

Newly disclosed court documents for Silicon Knights' legal tussle with Epic Games have revealed the Too Human developer must destroy all games it has produced using Unreal Engine 3.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Silicon Knights ordered to destroy unsold copies of X-Men De

Postby FishyGinger » 09 Nov 2012, 11:25

Got the feeling had silicon knights not accused epic then they could have been left to disappear quietly.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 69

Re: Silicon Knights ordered to destroy unsold copies of X-Me

Postby plightstar » 09 Nov 2012, 11:56

Just sad that Too Human, will never finish. Got all the way to the end of the first game and was excited about the sequel. But knew there was going to be trouble producing a sequel, with the court case going and now it seems its dead.
plightstar 34

Xbox Live: PLIGHTSTAR1
Steam: plightstar

Postby illage2 » 09 Nov 2012, 13:49

NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

*Buys Eternal Darkness from Amazon ASAP*
ImageImage
illage2 54

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Postby Wakacha » 09 Nov 2012, 13:58

illage2 wrote:NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

That doesn't use UE3. So Eternal Darkness shall remain safe.

But you should still buy Eternal Darkness regardless.
"If assholes could fly, this place would be an airport." - Anonymous
Wakacha 49

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 09 Nov 2012, 14:33

That's a horrific ruling. Thats years of several hundred peoples life, all of their hard wairk undone for the what exactly. How does this exactly serve epic other than to make potential developers thinking about leasing the unreal engine incredibly uneasy.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Postby FishyGinger » 09 Nov 2012, 14:50

It stops people getting a licence, making a rubbish game then blaming the engine supplier. But it is a bit over the top, not that I imagine these games will sell much now.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 69

Postby illage2 » 09 Nov 2012, 15:00

Wakacha wrote:
illage2 wrote:NOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!

That doesn't use UE3. So Eternal Darkness shall remain safe.

But you should still buy Eternal Darkness regardless.

Ah .... my Sanity meter has been refilled.
ImageImage
illage2 54

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Postby fustacluck » 09 Nov 2012, 16:19

WHERESMYMONKEY wrote:That's a horrific ruling. Thats years of several hundred peoples life, all of their hard wairk undone for the what exactly. How does this exactly serve epic other than to make potential developers thinking about leasing the unreal engine incredibly uneasy.

It was a ruling that SK brought upon themselves (or himself, given the dictatorial way that Dyak runs that company). A lot of those several hundred (although I believe they peaked at 125) were treated worse by SK than the ruling ever could, with the majority not getting credit on the games they worked on because they either left the company or were fired/made redundant before the release of the games.

Dyak, for all of his pontificating about fair work policies (please listen to his rant on 1UPYours podcast for reference), has run that company into the ground through his arrogance. A person who refers to artists in his company as ten-a-penny, and basically defrauds publishers, promising them a game but seemingly not interested in actually producing the game and using the money to fund their Eternal Darkness 2 demo for Nintendo, does not deserve any sympathy in this. From what I understand, since the company has recently been estimated at around 5 employees, anyone with whom we should have any sympathy has long since gone.

Dyak's personal crusade against Epic, which was completely baseless but he needed to blame someone else for the failure of Too Human as well as NeoGAF and the gaming press for having the audacity to write previews based on what he showed them, was the final nail. Hopefully he'll slink away with his tail between his legs, but I doubt it. Probably turn up at a future GDC with a lecture about how the fall of Silicon Knights was everyone's fault but him, no doubt backed up with choice passages from his favourite philosophy books.

The following link has a great article about the working practices of SK during the making of X-Men Destiny:

http://kotaku.com/5955223/what-went-wro ... en-destiny

The only way potential licensees of UE3 should worry, looking at this ruling, is that they shouldn't illegally use the technology, or any technology for that matter, for their games. They use it legally and they won't be hit as hard as SK have.
fustacluck 36

Xbox Live: fustak luck
PSN ID: fustacluck

Postby Mastermue » 09 Nov 2012, 19:27

Nice link fustacluck, very eye opening into the goings on at SK. Thanks.
I jumped, O my brothers, and I fell hard but I did not snuff it, oh no. if I had snuffed it, I would not be here to tell what I have told.
Mastermue 53

Postby Ryo_Hazuki4 » 10 Nov 2012, 04:08

X-men was truly abysmal, however, i quite liked Too Human.
Sega, why have you forsaken me???
Ryo_Hazuki4 53