Wii U GamePad features user-changeable batteries

Your comments on our articles.

Replacement rechargeable cells available direct from Nintendo

Users will be able to replace the rechargeable battery contained within the Wii U's controllers themselves.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Wii U GamePad features user-changeable batteries

Postby beemoh » 09 Nov 2012, 00:02

...anyone want to take bets on how long it takes before third-party batteries start to appear for half the price (but only capable of carrying a smaller fraction of the charge)?
RIP Nintendo Gamer, we hardly knew ye. #OccupyFuturesExecTeam
beemoh 60

Re: Wii U GamePad features user-changeable batteries

Postby snowdog » 09 Nov 2012, 00:16

Nice :D

Means that you can always have a spare battery handy. The PS3 controller not having a separate battery is a major bugbear for me.
snowdog 28

Postby Barca Azul » 09 Nov 2012, 00:33

Seems a bit odd mentioning this, unless the life expectancy isn't very long?
Barca Azul 63

Postby alan666 » 09 Nov 2012, 00:37

Glad to hear this, this is one reason i hate apple £80 for a replacement ipod battery :x
used to own - NES, Atari ST, Amiga 500, Mega Drive, SNK Neo Geo, SNES, Saturn, N64, PS2, GameCube, Alienware Aurora.
currently own - PS1, Xbox, Xbox360 + Kinect, Wii, PS3 + MOVE, 3DS, Games PC, Wii U.
alan666 55

Xbox Live: B1G A1AN
Steam: full_life_666
Battle.net: Origin + full_life_666
xFire: 3DS + 0087-2285-0027

Postby Nimron Tang » 09 Nov 2012, 00:52

snowdog wrote:Nice :D

Means that you can always have a spare battery handy. The PS3 controller not having a separate battery is a major bugbear for me.

You can use a usb cable to charge a PS3 pad mate. It's best to have two controllers, then when you are using one to play a game the other can be on charge. When the battery is low you alternate, this way you never need batteries at all.
It's just a ride.
Nimron Tang 49

PSN ID: Smittypig

Postby lonewolf2002 » 09 Nov 2012, 00:59

Nimron Tang wrote:
snowdog wrote:Nice :D

You can use a usb cable to charge a PS3 pad mate. It's best to have two controllers, then when you are using one to play a game the other can be on charge. When the battery is low you alternate, this way you never need batteries at all.

He was referring to not being able to change the battery on the PS3 controller when the cells finally deplete and cannot be charged anymore. Nintendo is saying when this happens they will sell you the battery cell so you can change it yourself.
What you need to remember is that there's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, THEN there's the truth!

360 Lon3Wolf2002

PSN lone_WOLF2002

Steam lonewolf10
lonewolf2002 64

Postby lonewolf2002 » 09 Nov 2012, 01:02

Barca Azul wrote:Seems a bit odd mentioning this, unless the life expectancy isn't very long?

Reports are 3-5 hrs per charge and roughly 500 charges before full cell degradation/depletion.
What you need to remember is that there's what people want to hear, there's what people want to believe, there's everything else, THEN there's the truth!

360 Lon3Wolf2002

PSN lone_WOLF2002

Steam lonewolf10
lonewolf2002 64

Postby billysastard » 09 Nov 2012, 01:05

Nimron Tang wrote:You can use a usb cable to charge a PS3 pad mate. It's best to have two controllers, then when you are using one to play a game the other can be on charge. When the battery is low you alternate, this way you never need batteries at all.

yes, because rechargeable batteries are so well known for the fact that they never wear out, i've got a stack of barely usable 360 play and charge batteries that no longer hold their charge so when they are built in like on vita or ps3 pads its either a pain to replace them or costly to get sony to do it.

billysastard 63

Xbox Live: ImpaledGryphon
PSN ID: Impaled-Gryphon
Wii Code: wiiu-ImpaledGryphon
Steam: ImpaledGryphon

Postby Nimron Tang » 09 Nov 2012, 11:13

billysastard wrote:yes, because rechargeable batteries are so well known for the fact that they never wear out, i've got a stack of barely usable 360 play and charge batteries that no longer hold their charge so when they are built in like on vita or ps3 pads its either a pain to replace them or costly to get sony to do it.

What? None of my PS3 controllers have ever lost their charge in the slightest and I only really use my PS3! Furthermore, this is the first I have ever heard of a PS3 controller running out of charge. All the people I know have PS3's and yet nobody including myself has experienced a dead PS3 controller.

Obviously we see things differently, but the batteries in the Xbox pad idea seems so archaic to me it's untrue. With the tiniest bit of organisation there simply isn't a need for batteries. If you like buying disposable batteries though, that's fair enough!
It's just a ride.
Nimron Tang 49

Postby FishyGinger » 09 Nov 2012, 11:32

All rechargeable batteries wear down eventually. Better to have them removable than not.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 71

Postby Nimron Tang » 09 Nov 2012, 12:13

FishyGinger wrote:All rechargeable batteries wear down eventually. Better to have them removable than not.

I'm not saying they don't. All I was saying is that I have never experienced or heard of a dead ps3 controller, which is why I don't see the point in removable batteries.

But I can see where you are all coming from with "Better to have them removable than not" type of comments. I accept others may only have one pad, and whilst the removability is irrelevant to me, I can see why it might be important to others.

Not long until you rabble get your hands on the Super Wii now, I'll be checking your comments on it when it comes out to gauge whether it will be a useful addition to my collection. (didn't get on with the Wii, but this is obviously a different beast)
It's just a ride.
Nimron Tang 49

Postby AvatarIII » 09 Nov 2012, 13:26

Barca Azul wrote:Seems a bit odd mentioning this, unless the life expectancy isn't very long?

considering it has a screen it is hardly going to be comparable to a PS3 controller. although I have had one friend that has had a dead controller, you can replace the battery pretty easily, and it is actually a very standard battery you can get for cheaps on ebay. (I think it's the same as the original iPhone battery)

the fact that Wiis came with AA batteries has always been a bane to me, sure it's useful to replace them, but most people I know have opted for 3rd party rechargeable battery packs anyway, and they suck compared to PS3 controllers.

PSN ID: AvatarIII
Steam: AvatarIII

Postby Barca Azul » 09 Nov 2012, 14:05

considering it has a screen it is hardly going to be comparable to a PS3 controller. although I have had one friend that has had a dead controller, you can replace the battery pretty easily, and it is actually a very standard battery you can get for cheaps on ebay. (I think it's the same as the original iPhone battery)

the fact that Wiis came with AA batteries has always been a bane to me, sure it's useful to replace them, but most people I know have opted for 3rd party rechargeable battery packs anyway, and they suck compared to PS3 controllers.

The article mentions also the pro controller though. I understand the screen will probably degrade way quicker due to its power consumption, like Mobile smartphones today.

Ive a couple of wireless controllers and I cant say ive a noticeable degradation after 5 years tbh. They both seem to work for 30 plus hours of gaming or more as a guess. Plus if the battery went, id probably get a new controller too, as time goes on the analogues start to wear quicker than the battery.
Barca Azul 63