to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Square Enix merger 'a complete failure,' says former exec

Your comments on our articles.

Ex-Square president believes the publisher has "no vision for the future"

Former Square president Hisashi Suzuki has called the 2003 merger between Square and Enix "a complete failure".... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Square Enix merger 'a complete failure,' says former exec

Postby mattdark » 08 Nov 2012, 14:17

This is coming from a guy now directing a company that has;
- Continued to release sub-par sonic games that will forever leave old fans hurt
- Appear to be focusing largely on re-releasing their old titles in 'HD' bundles
- Have let companies working for them who make great games slip through their fingers (Platinum Games)
Time to rock n' ruin!
PSN - MattDark86
360 - MattDarkZero
mattdark 51

PSN ID: MattDark86

Re: Square Enix merger 'a complete failure,' says former exe

Postby TheLastDodo » 08 Nov 2012, 14:24

mattdark wrote:This is coming from a guy now directing a company that has;
- Continued to release sub-par sonic games that will forever leave old fans hurt
- Appear to be focusing largely on re-releasing their old titles in 'HD' bundles
- Have let companies working for them who make great games slip through their fingers (Platinum Games)

Exactly.

He works for another complete failure so obviously he knows one when he sees one.

It's like that episode of modern family where mitch tells his dad that his dads friend, shorty, is gay because mitch is gay and gay folk, according to a fictional TV show script, have a built in "gaydar".
TheLastDodo 77

Postby Gator » 08 Nov 2012, 15:23

If SE actually gave people the games they want and stopped wasting time and resources on sequels to XIII, they probably wouldn't be in such a mess. I enjoy XIII but I'd like to see Versus XIII and KH3 at some point.

SE could announce an FFVII remake, show nothing, release it and it'd probably break tons of sales records. VII, VIII & IX remasters would also please fans, but they continue to remaster 1-5 for different consoles at different times, and develop their high profile games for handhelds where they get little attention. They also have a nasty habit of taking their popular franchises, complicating them beyond all comprehension, and spreading them over every console and genre imaginable(FFVII, Kingdom Hearts, FF Tactics & Crystal Chronicles).

It baffles me, anyone with half a brain knows what Square fans want and what would sell by the truckload, anyone except Square-Enix :?.
Gator 49

Postby FishyGinger » 08 Nov 2012, 15:45

Would square enix not be the owners of eidos, and therefore in charge of tomb raider, hitman and deus ex?

And sega have total war and....shenmue a game that seemingly quite a few want but sega don't want to release...
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 69

Postby bigbaldwolf86 » 08 Nov 2012, 16:18

Yes he works for another failure but he is right. What have squeenix done this gen? Versus is taking so long it's not even funny, FFX HD was announced over a year ago with no news since. It's a remaster, shouldn't be that hard. Then there's issues with games not even being released outside of Japan like FF TYype-0. Instead they have focused on FF XIII and it's sequels. It's not what people have demanded and not what people want now (well most people). There are far higher priorities that people have for games than these sequels.

I really hope squeenix can go back to the old days when they released great games and released them at a decent dev time, not 6-7 years.
bigbaldwolf86 20
New user

Xbox Live: bigbaldwolf86
PSN ID: bidbaldwolf86

Postby Mmmmgrolsch » 08 Nov 2012, 17:53

Yep, the FF series has been destroyed this gen :( Square-Enix have it so much easier than most other Publishers as well because they have a gold mine sitting beneath them but they refuse to listen to fans.
Mmmmgrolsch 74

Xbox Live: Mmmmgrolsch
PSN ID: Mmmmgrolsch
Steam: Mmmmgrolsch

Postby Terranova1 » 08 Nov 2012, 18:14

as a developer i agree Square-enix haven't really done anything this gen that has impressed me i really didn't like FF-XIII and the less said about FFXIV the better, however as a publisher they have done pretty well, Deus-Ex was decent enough and if it wasn't for them there wouldn't be sleeping dogs which is a great game with more to come with hitman and tombraider, i dunno maybe they should stick with publishing they might do better.
Terranova1 35