GTA V gallery: The 22 most impressive screens so far

Your comments on our articles.

GTA V details are set to be revealed today, and to get you in the mood we've put together a collection of the most impressive screens Rockstar has released so far.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

GTA V gallery: The 22 most impressive screens so far

Postby illage2 » 08 Nov 2012, 10:46

The game looks good but will it play good, it will probably be as boring as GTA 4 was.
ImageImage
illage2 54

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Re: GTA V gallery: The 22 most impressive screens so far

Postby a3HeadedMonkey » 08 Nov 2012, 11:06

illage2 wrote:The game looks good but will it play good, it will probably be as boring as GTA 4 was.

There was no boring GTA IV, only boring people that played it.

Story, characters, missions... all of these pale in comparison to the true star of GTA IV, which was the city. Always has been. If you didn't have any friends or have the imagination to do stuff like this...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JCJKGM0 ... el&list=UL

...then that was your loss, but don't blame the game.
a3HeadedMonkey 69

Postby Bambis Dad » 08 Nov 2012, 12:01

a3HeadedMonkey wrote:
illage2 wrote:The game looks good but will it play good, it will probably be as boring as GTA 4 was.

Story, characters, missions... all of these pale in comparison to the true star of GTA IV, which was the city. Always has been. If you didn't have any friends or have the imagination to do stuff like this...

Do you ever get bored of being so right all the time? You clearly have a grasp of things that we mere mortals could not conceive of, friends? Whatever will they come up with next? Maybe a sense that Illage may have been complaining about the single player campaign not being up to scratch? Maybe demonstrating that the multiplayer allowed you to do things things with friends, that would have been a logistical nightmare to organize (I saw in the comments they were playing it on a PC and using a cheat to spawn the required vehicles for their 'imagination') in a proper game, and didn't actually look like it was much fun? Or maybe they could have bought Burnout Paradise and played all those sort of things in a game designed to accomodate them?
Childhood pictures redeem, clean and so serene
See myself without ruining lines
Whole days throwing sticks into streams

I have crawled so far sideways
I recognise dim traces of creation
Bambis Dad 52

Postby Nimron Tang » 08 Nov 2012, 12:03

a3HeadedMonkey wrote:

Here Here! I have always said that humans who claim GTAIV is boring must have no imagination whatsoever.

Listen to the monkey and the cat, we know our GTA.
It's just a ride.
Nimron Tang 49

PSN ID: Smittypig

Postby gnokgnik » 08 Nov 2012, 12:06

No, illage2 is right. IV was boring after a while. Repeating missions and hopless gunplay all around. I loved San Andreas immensly, so my hope is V will bring back that sweet magic.
gnokgnik 52

Postby Nimron Tang » 08 Nov 2012, 12:29

Bambis Dad wrote:Do you ever get bored of being so right all the time? You clearly have a grasp of things that we mere mortals could not conceive of, friends? Whatever will they come up with next? Maybe a sense that Illage may have been complaining about the single player campaign not being up to scratch? Maybe demonstrating that the multiplayer allowed you to do things things with friends, that would have been a logistical nightmare to organize (I saw in the comments they were playing it on a PC and using a cheat to spawn the required vehicles for their 'imagination') in a proper game, and didn't actually look like it was much fun? Or maybe they could have bought Burnout Paradise and played all those sort of things in a game designed to accomodate them?

You can talk! (neither can I, but that is not the point)

Maybe he was talking about the unlimited stunting possibilities with the myriad of vehicles on offer and the epic police chase opportunities. (limited only by ones imagination and skill)

People are welcome to claim the game was boring, but all that really tells people like Monkey and myself is that they really don't have much imagination. GTAIV certainly isn't about the main story, if that's what you play games for I can understand why you didn't like the game. Even the best stories in games don't compare with quality films and books, which is why I'm not really bothered by main stories. (how would I play a game like Just Cause 2 if I was concerned by a games main story?)

It's all about the playground (city), and the toys (people, authorities, vehicles, weapons) and how you can play with them for us. GTAV is giving us a better playground and a hell of a lot more toys, roll-on 5 o' clock!
It's just a ride.
Nimron Tang 49

Postby Agent75 » 08 Nov 2012, 12:29

Even though there was 3 games before it, GTA 3 kick started the series. Vice City was decent, but after that, can't say I rated San Andreas etc. GTA 5 may end up being the best in the series, but I think it's going to be more of the same and in all fairness, you can only do so much (new stuff). The car control was terrible in San Andreas and GTA 4, so I hope it's not the case in GTA 5. I can see GTA 5 coming to the Wii U with added extras, more so to take advantage of controller (the screen).
Last edited by Agent75 on 08 Nov 2012, 12:31, edited 1 time in total.
Agent75 49

Postby Nimron Tang » 08 Nov 2012, 12:31

gnokgnik wrote:No, illage2 is right. IV was boring after a while. Repeating missions and hopless gunplay all around. I loved San Andreas immensly, so my hope is V will bring back that sweet magic.

So boring that you are currently playing through it again. We must have a completely different definition of boring my friend.
It's just a ride.
Nimron Tang 49

Postby KesMonkey » 08 Nov 2012, 18:18

a3HeadedMonkey wrote:

Exactly this. I could not agree more. Lack of imagination is the only reason I've ever been able to come up with when people state, as if it's a fact, that GTA IV wasn't fun.
I like cake.
KesMonkey 63

Postby Bambis Dad » 08 Nov 2012, 18:43

Nimron Tang wrote:You can talk! (neither can I, but that is not the point)

Maybe he was talking about the unlimited stunting possibilities with the myriad of vehicles on offer and the epic police chase opportunities. (limited only by ones imagination and skill)

People are welcome to claim the game was boring, but all that really tells people like Monkey and myself is that they really don't have much imagination. GTAIV certainly isn't about the main story, if that's what you play games for I can understand why you didn't like the game. Even the best stories in games don't compare with quality films and books, which is why I'm not really bothered by main stories. (how would I play a game like Just Cause 2 if I was concerned by a games main story?)

It's all about the playground (city), and the toys (people, authorities, vehicles, weapons) and how you can play with them for us. GTAV is giving us a better playground and a hell of a lot more toys, roll-on 5 o' clock!

Well Monkey did resort to petty insults to make his point, which in my book doesn't make for anything. I wouldn't say the limits were ones imagination either. The limitations were the shoddy controls. All of the examples in the video and 'epic police chases' have been done better in other games.

The video Monkey linked to reveals that this wasn't done properly in game but using cheats to produce a video spectacle. If you have to circumnavigate the game to realise your imagination then you are not working within the parameters of the game. This kind of invalidates Monkey's point entirely.

I have no problem with people having a different opinion to mine, especially where games are conncerned, but I reserve the right to challenge them.
Childhood pictures redeem, clean and so serene
See myself without ruining lines
Whole days throwing sticks into streams

I have crawled so far sideways
I recognise dim traces of creation
Bambis Dad 52

Postby Nimron Tang » 08 Nov 2012, 19:27

Bambis Dad wrote:Well Monkey did resort to petty insults to make his point, which in my book doesn't make for anything. I wouldn't say the limits were ones imagination either. The limitations were the shoddy controls. All of the examples in the video and 'epic police chases' have been done better in other games.

The video Monkey linked to reveals that this wasn't done properly in game but using cheats to produce a video spectacle. If you have to circumnavigate the game to realise your imagination then you are not working within the parameters of the game. This kind of invalidates Monkey's point entirely.

I have no problem with people having a different opinion to mine, especially where games are conncerned, but I reserve the right to challenge them.

Your right about the petty insults but that does not invalidate his point.

The controls are only shoddy if you aren't familiar with them, for me the controls are spot on, but it's all subjective.

Forget the video mate, I've just watched it and I'd agree it doesn't look like my kind of fun either. That's what is amazing about the game though, people like Monkey are able to play all the silly games they can imagine in multiplayer. People who play like me can pull off ridiculous vehicular stunts and get into epic battles/chases with the rozzers in single player. (again, limited only by my imagination)

I wasn't saying you can't challenge him, that's what a discussion is all about. You're also welcome to believe it has nothing to do with imagination, but when you establish the fact that the controls aren't broken (are the controls in GT and Forza broken?) and that the game offers almost limitless possibilities to have fun. The only logical conclusion I can come to, is that people who claim the game is boring have little to no imagination or find the game a bit too difficult. (hence, for example, the complaints about the checkpoint system, when you don't die you aren't even aware of the checkpoints)

I still, to this day, haven't heard a legitimate argument as to why people give the game abuse other than, "I just don't like it". I don't have any issues at all with people who just don't like it.
It's just a ride.
Nimron Tang 49

Postby timewarp1 » 08 Nov 2012, 20:37

Ballad of Gay Tony had was the funniest in the GTA IV series - much closer to the original humor
timewarp1 46

Postby richard99 » 08 Nov 2012, 22:40

Nimron Tang wrote:Maybe he was talking about the unlimited stunting possibilities with the myriad of vehicles on offer and the epic police chase opportunities limited only by ones imagination and skill

And the abysmal brick on wheels handling and dull easily outran police. Police chases are what I play GTA for and Vice City and San Andreas are in a different league to IV for them in my book.

I also
-Missed all the crazy stuff (credit where it's due Ballad of Gay Tony brings some back but still).
-Hated the bleak atmosphere/story.
-Didn't like having to use the mobile for cheats (and that they took away the crazier cheats like flying cars).
-Was gutted they took away awesome vehicles like the jetpack, hovercraft, golf buggy and tanks (again the last two are back in BoGT but they should've been in the main game) along with every plane.
-Found going back to one city and no countryside a bit disappointing after how epically huge San Andreas was.
-Don't really play GTA to pay toll booths, take phone calls and go bowling with my cousin.
-Thought there was no radio as great as Flash FM, V-Rock or K-DST and missed having a cool period setting.

GTA 4 was a step backwards in everything but shooting, graphics and the odd cool mission in my book. Really glad GTA 5 looks like a return to form :D
If anyone wants to see my favourite games take a look here :)
http://www.unikgamer.com/users/renegadev8-999.html
richard99 50

Xbox Live: renegadeV8
PSN ID: renegadeV8
Steam: renegadeV8

Postby Nimron Tang » 08 Nov 2012, 23:36

richard99 wrote:And the abysmal brick on wheels handling and dull easily outran police. Police chases are what I play GTA for and Vice City and San Andreas are in a different league to IV for them in my book.

Can you honestly say that you believe a 6 star police chase in San Andreas/Vice City is harder than a 6 star police chase in GTAIV? San Andreas and Vice City required no skill whatsoever in my book. (I'm not saying they weren't great games in their day)
It's just a ride.
Nimron Tang 49

Postby richard99 » 09 Nov 2012, 01:41

Nimron Tang wrote:Can you honestly say that you believe a 6 star police chase in San Andreas/Vice City is harder than a 6 star police chase in GTAIV? San Andreas and Vice City required no skill whatsoever in my book. (I'm not saying they weren't great games in their day)

San Andreas and Vice City gave you way more chances to pull stunts and shake the police like a getaway driver because the handling was much more arcade style and responsive. The police AI was always on your tail but never drove quite as well as you and made up for it in numbers which made things feel epic. Vice City and San Andreas weren't better because they were more difficult, they were just more fun.

IV made the handling way more unforgiving so setting up an epic police chase didn't make you feel like an awesome getaway driver the same way the others did and it brought in the search radius system which made it far too easy just to get out of their line of sight then floor it on a long straight or slip through a few alleys and lose the police that way and even on six stars you're not up against the national guard the way you are in the others. I honestly lost the police by accident once or twice trying to see how long I could last on 6 stars, it's too easy; especially in a boat or helicopter where you literally just have to pick a direction and speed off for long enough. Between that, the poor handling and the not as awesome radio it's just nowhere near as fun for me.
I think Vice City and San Andreas are just straight up better games as well as great for their time.
If anyone wants to see my favourite games take a look here :)
http://www.unikgamer.com/users/renegadev8-999.html
richard99 50

Xbox Live: renegadeV8
PSN ID: renegadeV8
Steam: renegadeV8

Next