THQ in grave health - can it survive?

Your comments on our articles.

BLOG: The crestfallen publisher has little room to manoeuvre, writes CVG's Rob Crossley... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby adgr19 » 06 Nov 2012, 17:44

they have a few pretty strong games coming so i think they'll be fine. I just hope someone larger doesn't swallow them up in the mean time.
adgr19 53

Postby frazzerr » 06 Nov 2012, 17:45

For the good of the industry, it is better that they manage to pull themselves out of this hole. Less competition leads to an industry being in a choke hold by a couple of massive companies, this is evident within other industries and it leads to less innovation and stifles creativity etc. More importantly thousands of people could lose they're jobs, but some moronic people on here would love that because they don't like THQ products :roll: ...
frazzerr 44

PSN ID: frazzerr_1

Re: THQ in grave health - can it survive?

Postby FishyGinger » 06 Nov 2012, 17:51

adgr19 wrote:they have a few pretty strong games coming so i think they'll be fine. I just hope someone larger doesn't swallow them up in the mean time.

Problem is they aren't coming for a few months yet are they, they need to survive until then before they make any money off them. Even then I didn't think they had anything guaranteed.

Most of their games I'm not that interested in, save for Metro which is one of my most highly anticipated games by some margin as I loved the original, but I hope they can sort themselves out.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 71

Postby delmariachi » 06 Nov 2012, 17:57

Not exactly a surprise...

If you look at the last 2 years of releases through THQ, there's been Saints Row 3 and Darksiders 2 that have been somewhat successful... previous to that Red Faction and Metro 2033 were highlights from a relative dull release schedule (admittedly only in my opinion)

They are what they've always been, a middling company that release a decent game every now and then, it'll be a shame if they do go to the wall, especially for those who lose jobs, but to be honest, I have not not experienced enough good titles from them to miss them.
delmariachi 47

Xbox Live: delmariachi
Steam: delmariachi

Postby SavageEvil » 06 Nov 2012, 18:21

THQ, first they screw up SR series with that complete retardation of the the third game, release Darksiders at a pretty bad time economically and they continue to make craptastic WWE games. They are treading in deep waters, could have sworn the came from a delisting last year and looks like they are about to head back there again.
First of all the WWE games are trash, have been trash for this entire generation of consoles actually, the last good game was DoR series on GC those games we actually about skill instead of weird ass control schemes and gimmicky auto magic moves. Get back to No Mercy type of gameplay, I wonder what engine they use on these consoles it's really garbage to say it politely, look at how ugly the character models are and there is barely anything on screen in those games. Darksiders was a great game, haven't played the second game as I didn't see it as a compelling purchase. SR, ha ha, what ever, that stayed in the store after watching my buddy play, I was like this screwed up SR. I would rather play SR2 any day over that trash.
SavageEvil 51

Postby Bambis Dad » 06 Nov 2012, 18:33

SE You are lucky to avoided DS2, it was not awful, but it was nowhere near as interesting as it thought it was.
Childhood pictures redeem, clean and so serene
See myself without ruining lines
Whole days throwing sticks into streams

I have crawled so far sideways
I recognise dim traces of creation
Bambis Dad 52

Postby Dennis2001 » 07 Nov 2012, 11:10

Sad to hear, Darksiders II is a great game - playing it atm on the 360.
Dennis2001 31

Postby dwhlufc » 07 Nov 2012, 11:26

I hope they can pull through. They seem to be one of the few publishers trying different things instead of just pumping out FPS'.
dwhlufc 76