PCs 'already more powerful than next-gen consoles', says Sta

Your comments on our articles.

Chris Roberts explains reluctance to move away from PC; new project funding 'to hit $10m'

Consumer PC set-ups already carry more advanced technology than next generation consoles, the creator of Star Citizen has claimed.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby B_G_G » 05 Nov 2012, 11:42

A mid range gaming PC from this time last year will be more powerful than the next console gen.
B_G_G 51

Postby sonic_uk » 05 Nov 2012, 11:43

In other words the sky is blue..well, in the daytime at least. The thing is the consoles are a closed platform and games will be heavily optimized so they wont look much different the their PC counterparts, much like today (depending on your rig of course).
Own...360(Slim), Ps4, Ps3(SuperSlim), Ps2, Ps1, PsVita, XperiaPlay, Gamecube, Snes, Dreamcast, Megadrive, MegaCd 2, Saturn, Gamegear, PC

Owned...Acorn Electron, Atari 2600, Gameboy, Master System, 32x, GBA SP, Xbox, Psp, 360(Premium), Ps3(BC), Wii(BC)
sonic_uk 56

Re: PCs 'already more powerful than next-gen consoles', says

Postby Balladeer » 05 Nov 2012, 11:45

Balladeer 78

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 05 Nov 2012, 12:16

sonic_uk wrote:In other words the sky is blue..well, in the daytime at least. The thing is the consoles are a closed platform and games will be heavily optimized so they wont look much different the their PC counterparts, much like today (depending on your rig of course).

Wont look much different I think you need your eyes tested mate. Skyrim on the PC with a couple high def mods installed is light years ahead of the ps3/360 versions and it runs faster.

But thats always been the case, the trade off between pc and console gaming. Console versions won't look as good or run as fast as their PC counterparts but they require significantly less buggering about.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Postby toaplan » 05 Nov 2012, 12:20

Windows is a hungry beast

This. And the fact that none of the biggest devs have the PC as the lead platform. The PC had a good Xmas last year with BF3 and impressive versions of Skyrim and Batman AC, but this year the consoles are stealing the spotlight again. Hopefully Crysis 3 will be able to generate some buzz next year and make people upgrade their GPUs...
toaplan 74

Postby Bambis Dad » 05 Nov 2012, 12:24

This game that plays exactly the same but looks prettier is such a convincing argument? I know that this article alludes to the fact that this game is so involved that consoles wouldn't be able to run it, but seriously try using better examples readers.

'Nuff said.

Stan the man.
Childhood pictures redeem, clean and so serene
See myself without ruining lines
Whole days throwing sticks into streams

I have crawled so far sideways
I recognise dim traces of creation
Bambis Dad 52

Postby richard99 » 05 Nov 2012, 12:34

And he knows how powerful PS4 and 720 will be, how? Not saying he isn't probably right but you never know.
Anyways what he's leaving out is that consoles can always be optimised far better than a PC can so you can get way more out of similar tech.
If anyone wants to see my favourite games take a look here :)
http://www.unikgamer.com/users/renegadev8-999.html
richard99 50

Xbox Live: renegadeV8
PSN ID: renegadeV8
Steam: renegadeV8

Postby fyckfaco » 05 Nov 2012, 12:42

Prettier does mean "play better" occasionally. Left for dead on console for example has MUCH bigger hit boxes on enemies. Because the movement, fov and fps is so much more restricted i guess they have to, but it does prove that devs alter the experience due to the control mechanism/graphical capabilities of the consoles.
Im not bashing the consoles here, I actually prefer the game on xbox coz i like old school survival horror, but its a good example.
You'll also rarely see skyrim players playing in third person mode on the PC, with a FOV of 90 you dont get that "I cant see what im trying to pick up" issue that you get on console.
fyckfaco 35

Postby BeansOnToast » 05 Nov 2012, 12:46

Somebody should invent a way to hook up our old Super Nintendo's to an Xbox 360 or PS3 to act as a dedicated PhysX type graphics handling machine. So far I've tried doing this with an RF cable, but it doesn't work. :?
BeansOnToast 29

Postby veato » 05 Nov 2012, 13:23

but I can promise you a top-end PC now is already more powerful than what a next generation console is going to be.

Obviously. But this also forgets that a top end PC now costs a lot more than a next generation console is going to cost.
What I'm Playing Most: Ni No Kuni (PS3) / Titanfall (XBO) / Kerbal Space Program (Mac/PC) / Zelda: A Link Between Worlds (3DS)

BLOG
veato 48

Xbox Live: veato
PSN ID: veato666
Steam: veato

Postby gopher1369 » 05 Nov 2012, 13:31

toaplan wrote:
Windows is a hungry beast

This. And the fact that none of the biggest devs have the PC as the lead platform.

And Valve and Blizzard don't count because?
gopher1369 17

Postby Bambis Dad » 05 Nov 2012, 13:44

gopher1369 wrote:
toaplan wrote:This. And the fact that none of the biggest devs have the PC as the lead platform.

And Valve and Blizzard don't count because?

Because their games suck. HL2 isn't very good.

;)

Bambis Dad 52

Postby steven_h1 » 05 Nov 2012, 13:53

You can do most of it on a next generation console, but I can promise you a top-end PC now is already more powerful than what a next generation console is going to be.

And how much does that top end PC cost compared with a console? That is a silly comparison. Using a current example I can buy an Xbox 360 4gb for £139.99. Where do I get this great PC for this money?
steven_h1 48

Postby Down with robots » 05 Nov 2012, 14:20

This sort of thing just boils down to snobbery, and showing off which doesn't really help anyone.If I was making a game I'd want to maximise my audience, not brag about how few people will actually be able to play it. Love or hate consoles, they are where the largest customer base is at, and will be for a while yet.
Down with robots 52

Postby Bambis Dad » 05 Nov 2012, 14:24

All windows PCs do have Freecell though, that must be a selling point over consoles.

Bambis Dad 52

Next