Industry moving away from high budget blockbuster model, say

Your comments on our articles.

The future is in "systemic depth"

While speaking at the Gamercamp festival in Toronto, Patrick Redding, director of Splinter Cell: Blacklist, described how he thinks the industry will be moving away from AAA titles.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Industry moving away from high budget blockbuster model, say

Postby solamon77 » 05 Nov 2012, 06:37

I think we have moved past the age where a single, all encompassing style of game is the way of things. Instead, there will be all different types of games: AAA games, aaa games, facebook games, iphone style games, indie games, etc, etc. There will still be AAA games, even if there is less of them because they are demanded by fans and more importantly, there are artists that feel the need to create them.
solamon77 44

Xbox Live: Solamon77
PSN ID: Solamon77
Steam: Solamon77

Re: Industry moving away from high budget blockbuster model,

Postby getup2k » 05 Nov 2012, 10:49

''procedurally literate players (no, there will always be a market for big quality games), digital distribution channels (no, nonsense) and rising cost of production (no, next gen tools will be easier to work with = no rise in cost)'

Next!
getup2k 46

Postby KMakawa » 05 Nov 2012, 12:59

Getup, The reason that they would be focusing less on digital distribution channels and rising production costs is because they have sorted that stuff out already in a sense.. Next-Gen costs are going to be much lower, purely because they are trying to stick things on old tech, move away from that it'll but a much smoother process. Not to mention that most of the current engines are actually built for next gen too.

Digital Disribution is ofcourse, still a main thing within most minds - and they have been working on that for the past half of this generation.. All should now nearly be in place for whatever they feel comfortable with. Of course, each studio differs to the other, so it just depends on how much they choose with that.

I do think they will start to move away from shiney visuals (cause they have a very nice level of it atm, no need to keep going) and focus on the much deeper parts.. Choice-paths and alt. Endings based on a players playstyle/decision (Aka Traditional Bioware) is gonna be a good focus I think.
Community Coordinator.
Artist & Website Designer.
KMakawa 65
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: T0TAL fps
Steam: T0TALfps
xFire: iArctic

Postby JOHNKARA » 05 Nov 2012, 17:14

He states that aaa title creators will need to relinquish some control of the game as the meaning will only emerge as players experience it, and use the game's mechanics to tell their own stories and achieve their own goals.

Based on this comment alone, one can infer that Dishonoured is already a "aaa" title. The game control is designed totally around the user experience, where the gamer alone makes the choice of how each mission is accomplished. And then throw in so many options to complete each mission, and you have the ingredients of a super "aaa" title.

Hope that Bethesda can learn from Arkane Studios and publish more "aaa" goodness. Fallout 4 anyone?
Gina Stein
JOHNKARA 47

Postby nocturnal » 06 Nov 2012, 14:11

I think it's mostly a terrible theory.

Companies like Activision and EA make too much money churning out these so called ' AAA ' titles (which I use the term with a taste of vomit in my mouth ) every year.

When the games industry starts putting out more games on the quality level of Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy Vi, Silent Hill 2, Secret of Mana, Dark Souls, Starcraft Broodwar, Deus Ex.... that is when I will start to care about games again. This generation has been 99% trash, a swamp of s**tty brown FPS graphics with the occasional floating island of decent games.

There has not been anything that comes close to those titles I mentioned since the start of the PS3 / 360 gen. I dare anyone to contend me on it :-)

there where glimmers of hope. Bioshock, Fallout 3, Dishonoured come to mind but even they where littered with modern gaming design problems and plagued by badly masked linearity and baby's bed time storytelling.
nocturnal 24

Postby gypsygib » 07 Nov 2012, 01:25

I hope not, lest COD, BF, Halo, GTA and GT comprise the totality of all big budget games.
gypsygib 24