Microsoft testing its own smartphone - report

Your comments on our articles.

Firm said to be unsure if product will go into mass production

Microsoft is currently working with component suppliers in Asia to test a first party smartphone.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Microsoft testing its own smartphone - report

Postby B_G_G » 02 Nov 2012, 12:40

It can't hurt to have a reference design for hardware partners to see what they should be trying to achieve.

Its exactly what Google do with the Nexus lines for Android.

Having said that, I'm still in love with my Lumia 800. Its beautiful and speedy and everything just feels great. Microsoft could just leave the gold standard design to Nokia, they're doing a great job.
B_G_G 51

Re: Microsoft testing its own smartphone - report

Postby Black Mantis » 02 Nov 2012, 13:11

B_G_G wrote:It can't hurt to have a reference design for hardware partners to see what they should be trying to achieve.

Its exactly what Google do with the Nexus lines for Android.

Having said that, I'm still in love with my Lumia 800. Its beautiful and speedy and everything just feels great. Microsoft could just leave the gold standard design to Nokia, they're doing a great job.

I agree with that, the Lumia 800 is class. The Zune HD and Surface tablet aside, I don't think Microsoft are good with designing hardware.
Black Mantis 67

Postby Schlowbro » 02 Nov 2012, 14:40

Is it wrong that I'd prefer an iPhone 5? :-P
Schlowbro 49

Postby simsc3 » 02 Nov 2012, 14:59

I had a lumia 800 for my daughter for christmas last year and then I bought a lumia 900 and I was very impressed with it. Nokia have done a great job with the design of the phone BUT they have messed up their windows phone 8 launch. Loads of people wanted the new lumia 920 but they went for exclusivity deals instead of trying to get it in the hands of as many customers as possible. I was gutted but the new htc 8x phones look amazing and feel good in your hand. Nokia looks like it will continue to be in trouble for another few years as most contracts are 24 months these days.
simsc3 52

Postby gypsygib » 02 Nov 2012, 16:13

MS needs to divert the some of that billion+ dollars they're spending on ads on getting the top apps on W8 marketplace.
gypsygib 24

Postby B_G_G » 02 Nov 2012, 17:14

Schlowbro wrote:Is it wrong that I'd prefer an iPhone 5? :-P

No, my granny feels the same way.
B_G_G 51

Postby racxie » 03 Nov 2012, 12:03

simsc3 wrote:I had a lumia 800 for my daughter for christmas last year and then I bought a lumia 900 and I was very impressed with it. Nokia have done a great job with the design of the phone BUT they have messed up their windows phone 8 launch. Loads of people wanted the new lumia 920 but they went for exclusivity deals instead of trying to get it in the hands of as many customers as possible. I was gutted but the new htc 8x phones look amazing and feel good in your hand. Nokia looks like it will continue to be in trouble for another few years as most contracts are 24 months these days.

^^^ This to a T. I'm not looking to buy one until my contract is over next March, so hopefully they'll be selling them unlocked and sim-free by then. I really want a cyan one too!
Previously dark_gamer - CVG forumite since October 2003 :)
racxie 29

Xbox Live: Racxie
PSN ID: Racxie
Wii Code: Own but not online.
Steam: Racxie
xFire: Racxie