to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

UK retailer Comet set for administration

Your comments on our articles.

More than 6,000 jobs at risk; parent company also owns GAME

UK electronics retailer Comet could file for administration as soon as today, with more than 6,000 jobs at risk.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

UK retailer Comet set for administration

Postby DAEDALUS79 » 01 Nov 2012, 11:29

It isnt a surprise, over the last 10 years internet retail has exploded and shops just have not evolved to compete with it. Why go to a shop and pay more for a product when you can get it cheaper from the comfort of your home and have it delivered for free.
DAEDALUS79 73

Xbox Live: scyzer500
PSN ID: macby19

Re: UK retailer Comet set for administration

Postby martinawatson » 01 Nov 2012, 11:34

DAEDALUS79 wrote:It isnt a surprise, over the last 10 years internet retail has exploded and shops just have not evolved to compete with it. Why go to a shop and pay more for a product when you can get it cheaper from the comfort of your home and have it delivered for free.

Its this, bizarre to think what the high streets will be like in 5 years time ,WHSmiths will still be there but the majority will be pound,charity and coffee shops
Hey its Martin A , not Martina by the way, cheers
martinawatson 65

Postby FishyGinger » 01 Nov 2012, 11:36

You go there if you aren't sure on what you're buying, it's useful to see it first hand. Friend went recently for a radio and said the customer service was incredibly poor, so got it from currys digital instead.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 69

Postby Barry316 » 01 Nov 2012, 11:39

It says in the paper today they might end up having a fire sale. Our lass turned around and said "so it's fire damaged?"

I despair sometimes, i really do.
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 65

Postby EvilWaterman » 01 Nov 2012, 11:41

There's nothing quite like popping to the shop and buying your new shiny TV,CONSOLE,ELECTRICAL WHITES GOODS ETC ETC there and then, but your right, its the bloody prices on the high street!

Also, Comet are really rubbish in my opinion!
PSN: EvilWaterman
www.playstationcrowd.com
www.oldnrubbish.co.uk
Chuck Norris Approved
EvilWaterman 53

PSN ID: EvilWaterman

Postby El Mag » 01 Nov 2012, 12:18

Be a shame to see another shop go.

It's a stress buying a new tele as it is, having to rely on a little picture on a website will just add to it. Most blokes like to get a good look and see if it's got any obvious faults like backlight bleed, dead pixels or any weird screen banding before committing.

Could spend a good hour or more walking around trying different ones out while she waits in the car getting even more p**sed off than usual. Then you see the rage in her eyes when you say you'll be another 20 minutes because Trev has gone to make a brew to help me decide on a tele during a game of FIFA on the demo unit.

You just don't get that at Tesco. She follows you in there.
Like a midget at a urinal, I was going to have to stay on my toes.
El Mag 68

Xbox Live: El Maggio
PSN ID: ElMagnifico83

Postby Knight » 01 Nov 2012, 12:39

I went into a Currys a few weeks ago to buy a HD-TV, DVD-Upscaler and HDMI cable. They only price match some retailers, Amazon.co.uk wasn't one of them. Online it was a tenner cheaper, so I asked to speak to the manager; if he would reduce slightly or throw a wall bracket in for free I would buy the lot then-and-there on my debit card. Sales assistant said it couldn't be done, so I left and bought it online from their competition.....

Are they even trying? *shrug*
Knight 55

Postby ensabahnur » 01 Nov 2012, 13:00

Well when you see your own TV in Comet for over £100 more than you paid for it 6 months previously you can see why they cannot survive up against internet retailers.

I did help them out by getting my TV stand from them but that is as far as i would go.
"Your taste buds can't repel flavor of this magnitude!"
ensabahnur 68

Xbox Live: Sk1dmark 76
PSN ID: FLANGEMAN
Steam: Ensabahnur

Postby Zabba 2 » 01 Nov 2012, 13:04

Knight wrote:I went into a Currys a few weeks ago to buy a HD-TV, DVD-Upscaler and HDMI cable. They only price match some retailers, Amazon.co.uk wasn't one of them. Online it was a tenner cheaper, so I asked to speak to the manager; if he would reduce slightly or throw a wall bracket in for free I would buy the lot then-and-there on my debit card. Sales assistant said it couldn't be done, so I left and bought it online from their competition.....

Are they even trying? *shrug*

In most cases, the staff members themselves would love to have given you that deal, perhaps even the manager would have at least wanted to, but they're simply not allowed to. It places them at risk of disciplinary action at the very least from the superior management.

Manager's discretion tends to vary between companies too.

When I worked for GAME Group, customers would come in offering to buy a whole host of stuff, with the condition that we might throw in something a bit extra or give a tenner discount or something like that. In the earlier days this was more flexible, but in the year or so before their administration we had to turn customers away who were offering to buy like two consoles, with a game each and two warranties, just because they wanted maybe an extra couple of minor accessories thrown in for free. This was much to the frustration of me and my bosses, who cares if we give them a free case or headset after they've bought over £300 worth of stuff?

Sounds silly doesn't it? I don't know what goes through the heads of the higher management at head offices sometimes.
Zabba 2 65

Postby FishyGinger » 01 Nov 2012, 13:08

Thing is knight, they can't match online prices as they have shops and staff to pay for. If you carry on that way for a tenner on a bloody tv there won't be any shops to go into and you won't be able to see first hand what you're buying, like el mag says.

You really need to actually see these things working in most cases.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 69

Postby CrispyLog » 01 Nov 2012, 13:12

All that's left in Wigan are pie shops and pound shops, and their lovechild the pound bakery.

The future is bleak.
Genius behind Niptendo (TM pending)

I distrust patriotism; the reasonable man can find little in these days that is worth dying for. But dying against - there's enough iniquity in Europe to carry the most urbane or decadent into battle.
CrispyLog 74

Xbox Live: SlowBurn87
xFire: CrispyLog

Postby Reegeee » 01 Nov 2012, 13:18

...The future is Wigan.
Future wants to close CVG. Lets try and stop that with this petition Change.org
Reegeee 73

Xbox Live: reegeee
PSN ID: reegeee
Steam: reegeee

Postby Bambis Dad » 01 Nov 2012, 13:23

I thought the future was orange, like the women in Wigan.
Childhood pictures redeem, clean and so serene
See myself without ruining lines
Whole days throwing sticks into streams

I have crawled so far sideways
I recognise dim traces of creation
Bambis Dad 52

Postby Yellow6 » 01 Nov 2012, 13:43

FishyGinger wrote:Thing is knight, they can't match online prices as they have shops and staff to pay for. If you carry on that way for a tenner on a bloody tv there won't be any shops to go into and you won't be able to see first hand what you're buying, like el mag says.

You really need to actually see these things working in most cases.

Never mind the PC is dead it's the High Street that's dead!
I've grudgingly moved to online purchases as music stores/movie stores/book stores/game stores have all died.
Now it seems the stores with bigger items are dieing too e.g. white goods stores like Comet.
As Fishy says, they cannot compete with the internet (and I'll add supermarkets to that too).

I had a pal who loves internet shopping, buy a pram for a few hundred quid a year ago and I asked if he at least bought
that in a shop. He said he drove about 40 miles to a real shop, he pushed a good dozen round the shop, kicked some tyres, quizzed the expert shop assistants who really know their stuff for all the advice they could give.....then he went home and bought one online (that he'd pushed round the store)....and saved a whopping £30 :!:
This guy earns far more than I do (tight git), I digress.
This was a real life illustration of why....The High Street is dead.
Welcome to the charity shop/nail salon/coffe shop/McDonalds future :twisted:
Last edited by Yellow6 on 01 Nov 2012, 13:44, edited 1 time in total.
To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
Yellow6 46

Postby Barry316 » 01 Nov 2012, 13:44

El Mag wrote:Be a shame to see another shop go.

It's a stress buying a new tele as it is, having to rely on a little picture on a website will just add to it. Most blokes like to get a good look and see if it's got any obvious faults like backlight bleed, dead pixels or any weird screen banding before committing.

Could spend a good hour or more walking around trying different ones out while she waits in the car getting even more p**sed off than usual. Then you see the rage in her eyes when you say you'll be another 20 minutes because Trev has gone to make a brew to help me decide on a tele during a game of FIFA on the demo unit.

You just don't get that at Tesco. She follows you in there.

Plus you've still got about 6 months on a warranty there, so you'd be left with an expensive table if it went to s**t.
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 65

Next