to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Sony reports games sales drop, lowers Vita expectations

Your comments on our articles.

Firm sees Q2 decline in hardware and software sales for PS3 and PSP

Sony has lowered its annual sales forecast for PS Vita and PSP, revealing in its second quarter financial results that it now expects the handhelds to sell a combined total of ten million units by March 31, 2013.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Sony reports games sales drop, lowers Vita expectations

Postby Chris_Shanahan87 » 01 Nov 2012, 10:28

Everyone but the Sony fanboys knew this was going to flop from the second it was announced, and I suspect even most of the fanboys were just in denial.

The fact that Sony couldn't see it just shows how out of touch they are, and have been for the last 6 years

*flame jacket on*
Chris_Shanahan87 47

Re: Sony reports games sales drop, lowers Vita expectations

Postby Fr33Kye » 01 Nov 2012, 10:38

Chris_Shanahan87 wrote:Everyone but the Sony fanboys knew this was going to flop from the second it was announced, and I suspect even most of the fanboys were just in denial.

The fact that Sony couldn't see it just shows how out of touch they are, and have been for the last 6 years

*flame jacket on*

Aren't you a nintendo fanboy anyway? Why are you still here?
Fr33Kye 71

Postby Chris_Shanahan87 » 01 Nov 2012, 10:40

Fr33Kye wrote:
Chris_Shanahan87 wrote:Everyone but the Sony fanboys knew this was going to flop from the second it was announced, and I suspect even most of the fanboys were just in denial.

*flame jacket on*

Aren't you a nintendo fanboy anyway? Why are you still here?

passing the time until Wii U hits :wink:

jokessss i'm not a fanboy!
Chris_Shanahan87 47

Postby Fr33Kye » 01 Nov 2012, 10:47

OI!!!! Kill time in a flame war or something! Go find an article on the "rise of mobile games" or wait for the dmc demo to release!
Fr33Kye 71

Postby Toasted_PSP » 01 Nov 2012, 10:56

At least they are back in profit as a company.

I wonder if PS+ will be able to improve Vitas fortunes. If Sony add enough Vita games to PS+ and allow PS3 owners to add them to their download queue I can see myself getting a lot more interested in Vita in 6-12months time when I end up with a collection of Vita games (Assuming it survives that long).
Toasted_PSP 64

Postby robspur » 01 Nov 2012, 11:15

Sony might start shifting a few more if they took at least 1/3 off the price and made more decent cheap games...
robspur 30

Postby Queen Skillage » 01 Nov 2012, 11:15

Fr33Kye wrote:Aren't you a nintendo fanboy anyway? Why are you still here?

Because he's sitting bored waiting for the next super innovative game of Super Jump Plumber Jump and Super Drive Plumber & Friends Drive?
Queen Skillage 63
Global Moderator

Postby Chris_Shanahan87 » 01 Nov 2012, 11:20

Queen Skillage wrote:
Fr33Kye wrote:Aren't you a nintendo fanboy anyway? Why are you still here?

Because he's sitting bored waiting for the next super innovative game of Super Jump Plumber Jump and Super Drive Plumber & Friends Drive?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3hqnfbkxLlo
Chris_Shanahan87 47

Postby Agent75 » 01 Nov 2012, 11:45

Just another typical Sony article. Sony in its own little dream world....
Agent75 48

Postby Agent75 » 01 Nov 2012, 11:47

*flame jacket on*

By now, both the Xbox 360 and PS3 should be £149. As for the Vita and 3DS, they could easily be knocked out for £99 each. Sony will never stop with their high prices.
Agent75 48

Postby martinawatson » 01 Nov 2012, 11:48

Sony should of stuck a phone in there, that is the biggest mistake with the vita , apart from that its pretty perfect.
I remember a large advert up in London saying something like "i may never touch a game on my iphone again"
and i thought "yehh , but your not going to be carrying your Vita with you everyday and your never going to make a phonecall on it"
They need to release a Vita phone next year without doubt and drop the price of the Vita models.
Hey its Martin A , not Martina by the way, cheers
martinawatson 66

Postby Bambis Dad » 01 Nov 2012, 11:54

Agent75 wrote:

*flame jacket on*

By now, both the Xbox 360 and PS3 should be £149. As for the Vita and 3DS, they could easily be knocked out for £99 each. Sony will never stop with their high prices.

I'm assuming you based this model on a viable economic plan and not just plucked some figures out of the air? Nintendo recently announced that they were now turning a profit on the 3DS but weren't after the initial price cut. How you figure £99 is a good price for a business when it will mean making a loss on every unit again is quite ludicrous.
Childhood pictures redeem, clean and so serene
See myself without ruining lines
Whole days throwing sticks into streams

I have crawled so far sideways
I recognise dim traces of creation
Bambis Dad 52

Postby illage2 » 01 Nov 2012, 11:55

I just recently purchased a PS Vita and I have to say it's quite a decent device, sure it doesn't do 3D but does it need to? The games are actually really good, like MGSHD Collection, I can access the FULL collection, MGS1 - MGS PW. You can't do that on 3DS, you have to put up with a massively stripped down version of MGS3.

I hope they release more games for the Vita, can't wait to see what games come out for it.

I can't believe this but I myself am surprised at the lack of 3rd party support for the Vita.
Last edited by illage2 on 01 Nov 2012, 12:20, edited 1 time in total.
ImageImage
illage2 54

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Postby ricflair » 01 Nov 2012, 11:59

Toasted_PSP wrote:At least they are back in profit as a company.

I wonder if PS+ will be able to improve Vitas fortunes. If Sony add enough Vita games to PS+ and allow PS3 owners to add them to their download queue I can see myself getting a lot more interested in Vita in 6-12months time when I end up with a collection of Vita games (Assuming it survives that long).

That's not what I read - they're losing across every division apart from cameras and music.

Everyone is losing money at the moment in this industry, it doesn't look particularly good.
Woo
ricflair 77

Xbox Live: Ric Flair78
PSN ID: RicFlair78
Steam: RicFlair78
Battle.net: Wii U: RicFlair

Postby toaplan » 01 Nov 2012, 12:04

Toasted_PSP wrote:At least they are back in profit as a company.

This.

PS+ extended to the Vita, cross-buy for as many games as possible, Vita as a second screen for PS3 & PS4 games, Gaikai-enabled streaming of PS2 games on the Vita... there's still a lot Sony can do to make the Vita very tempting for PS3 owners and future PS4 owners. The quad-core specs and OLED screen should mean a relatively long lifecycle for the Vita, so there's still time to turn it into a bit of a sleeper hit, hopefully.
toaplan 74

Next