Halo 4 review: A visually-stunning reprise of classic Halo m

Your comments on our articles.

But series' trademark scale has been sacrificed

A few years ago Microsoft set about building its own studio to carry Halo beyond Bungie's contractually obligated spin-offs ODST and Halo Reach. All 343 Industries ever had to do was match the quality of Bungie's games, and in that sense it's succeeded. Halo 4 is indistinguishable from a Bungie Halo. Unfortunately, the Halo it's indistinguishable from is Halo 2.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Halo 4 review: A visually-stunning reprise of classic Halo m

Postby MrPirtniw » 01 Nov 2012, 08:18

So as good as Resident Evil 6 then? Pfffft. :mrgreen:

I was pretty much expecting this score from CVG to be honest and I'm more than likely going to love Halo 4- this news of smaller levels is a bit of a worry though... we'll see. Hopefully I should have this from Shopto on Monday, crank up the difficulty to legendary, pull out the phone line, get some McCoy's and pizza and prepare for the return of the Chief. Can. Not. Wait.

Edit: IGN gave it 98% saying that it out Bungie's Bungie and that the story and pacing is fantastic- but don't mention anything about smaller areas. Hmm. Ah, who cares- it's Halo flippin' 4. It's going to be awesome.

Edit x2: Does installing the game to the 360 HD help with any of the graphical issues?
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 71

Xbox Live: Tysh0
PSN ID: MrPirtniw

Re: Halo 4 review: A visually-stunning reprise of classic Ha

Postby l1nc » 01 Nov 2012, 08:42

A really good honest and fair review. The graphics look amazing and it seems a slight shame that it comes at the cost of a scaled down battlefield. We really need a next gen range of console's to push the boundaries of video games i think.
Ol skool from speccy to ps3
l1nc 42

Xbox Live: l1nc
PSN ID: l1nctendo

Postby Old Skool Gamer » 01 Nov 2012, 08:46

It's a shame to hear the campaign being a bit too linear, but I think 343 wanted to push the multiplayer side more on this game.

Hopefully when the next gen comes along it will give them more power to make a bigger and better game overall with visuals to boost, I am not surprised to hear the comments of the graphics as Reach's were very clippy, poor frame rates and the xbox just doesn't have enough power to keep up with what the developers are hoping for.

Multiplayer sounds like it will be good for a while though.
We can't stop now, this is Bat Country!
Old Skool Gamer 39

PSN ID: xXI_OLDSKOOL_IXx

Postby EvilWaterman » 01 Nov 2012, 10:00

So, its basically the same game that is halo halo 2 and halo 3 yet you don't give it a 6-7 for that?
PSN: EvilWaterman
www.playstationcrowd.com
www.oldnrubbish.co.uk
Chuck Norris Approved
EvilWaterman 55

PSN ID: EvilWaterman

Postby Codename4p » 01 Nov 2012, 10:30

EvilWaterman wrote:So, its basically the same game that is halo halo 2 and halo 3 yet you don't give it a 6-7 for that?

No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No, No....Yes.

What it is, is basically Aliens do bad things, and its up to the good ol' Master Chief to save the day! Oh wait, yea, its exactly the same.
I came here to have me ass kicked and my bubble gum stolen. So I am definitely out of gum.
Codename4p 33

Postby StonecoldMC » 01 Nov 2012, 10:35

Read about 10 reviews this morning, the only thing I want to say is hurry the f**k up Tuesday.

I've got another fight to start :D .

See you guys on the battlefield. Check my Sig to see how to sign up and kick ass!
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 82
Global Moderator

Postby FishyGinger » 01 Nov 2012, 10:48

With no mod roaming the articles there will be riots, fire and brimstone coming down from the skies, rivers and seas boiling. Forty years of darkness, earthquakes, volcanoes, the dead rising from the grave. Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!

Don't do it stonecold, halo the destructor will bring about the end of this forum.

Looks good, I'll pick it up after christmas probably.
Last edited by FishyGinger on 01 Nov 2012, 10:48, edited 1 time in total.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 71

Postby flyfletch » 01 Nov 2012, 10:48

Normally i dont question CVG reviews, i trust them enough to take their word for it, but looking at the review round up makes me wonder whats going on here? CVG and Eurogamer are the only 2 to give it 8, everyone else loves it.

Now im not saying 8 is a bad score, but the part that CVG say its not a good Halo really bothers me, I want this game, but if its not a good Halo, then what is it? Just a run of the mill FPS?? :?
flyfletch 72

Postby richomack360 » 01 Nov 2012, 11:01

So, based on CVG review structures Resi 6 got an 8 with a "dont buy full price" label - and Halo 4 gets the same score ??

Very odd, just as well i don't take reviews seriously after the Resi 6 farce !

Regarding the ending - if they did a big "bang" how would they out do it for Halo 5 and 6 ? At a fireworks display you don't let off your "big one" at the start...that's just common sense.
Fanboys of CVG Forums. This is the law. Disperse immediately, or we will use lethal force to clear the area. You have been warned. You now have 20 posts to comply.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360
Steam: richomack360

Postby BLARRG » 01 Nov 2012, 11:21

cant wait for the corridor shooter that is cod to get at least a 9 from cvg
Master System, PS1, N64, Dreamcast, PS2, Wii, X360, PS3, GBC, GBA, DS, 3DS

currently playing: GTAV, bravely default , Pokémon Y
BLARRG 45

Postby silversun_111 » 01 Nov 2012, 11:28

So even Halo has gone the normal route now and made a mediocre Single Player and focused more on Multiplayer. Shame I can't stand the "shoot, shoot, punch" Multiplayer, because I was going to get it around Christmas time.

But I must add that they have allowed the game to be reviewed early, unlike MoH and AC3, so bravo for that.
You see, in this world there's two kinds of people, my friend: Those with loaded guns and those who dig. You dig.
silversun_111 55

Xbox Live: silversun111
PSN ID: silversun111

Postby Welsh Jester » 01 Nov 2012, 11:57

Probably just as boring as halo 3 then, give me a good PC FPS any day, i found even the new Duke Nukem game more entertaining than Halo 3.

Hell, Killing floor is more fun than halo and that's only rated 70 odd on metacritic.. but it's great fun online.

Goes to show reviews mean nothing, but halo really is overrated if you've ever played a good PC FPS.
Welsh Jester 48

PSN ID: PerfectChaos

Postby The_Hun1 » 01 Nov 2012, 11:59

Still getting it, i know it might have the single player from halo 3 or the multiplayer from reach, but it's halo and it's the chief so it will do for me.

I also agree with you in the regards to its a halo game looking for more powerful hardware just like halo 2 was. We also know that this will be the last halo game on the 360, not a bad way to go now isn't it.

I look forward to halo 5 on the next xbox in due time, besides this will keep me going till then.
Freedom is more than idea, it's a way of life and if you don't agree then move to a country that dosn't have it!!!!
The_Hun1 66

Postby Bambis Dad » 01 Nov 2012, 12:08

The_Hun1 wrote:Still getting it, i know it might have the single player from halo 3 or the multiplayer from reach, but it's halo and it's the chief so it will do for me.

I also agree with you in the regards to its a halo game looking for more powerful hardware just like halo 2 was. We also know that this will be the last halo game on the 360, not a bad way to go now isn't it.

I look forward to halo 5 on the next xbox in due time, besides this will keep me going till then.

I'm missing the sarcasm? Surely you aren't encouraging them to just keep churning out the same game over and over? As a lifelong Zelda fan I recently said I wouldn't be happy if Nintendo just kept churning out more of the same. If Halo goes the same way it would be the worst thing for the series.
Childhood pictures redeem, clean and so serene
See myself without ruining lines
Whole days throwing sticks into streams

I have crawled so far sideways
I recognise dim traces of creation
Bambis Dad 52

Postby CrispyLog » 01 Nov 2012, 12:15

Add the gamertag CVGHalo4 if you want to get involved in some multiplayer/co-op action.

Half-Life 2, which still has the best FPS campaign ever made,

Couldn't agree any more with that statement, and as such I like this review.

I love Halo, I love the combat and the sci-fi world and the differente enemies and that, so I know I will love 4. But I am a bit disappointted that it's not as big and open as it should be, that is one of the main things about Halo, coming to a massive open area with it all kicking off, some marines fighting in one corner, load of little covenant groups and vehicles and weapons everywhere and you can just pick which way to tackle it.
Genius behind Niptendo (TM pending)

I distrust patriotism; the reasonable man can find little in these days that is worth dying for. But dying against - there's enough iniquity in Europe to carry the most urbane or decadent into battle.
CrispyLog 76

Xbox Live: SlowBurn87
PSN ID: CrispinLog
xFire: CrispyLog

Next