to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Assassin's Creed 3 Liberation review: Console-calibre advent

Your comments on our articles.

A triumph on handheld, despite some rough edges

While Assassin's Creed 3's Connor Kenway sparks revolution in 18th Century Boston, Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation's young female assassin rebels against Redcoats in New Orleans. It's all kicking off in a tumultuous era defined by war, riots, slavery and rather lavish fashion. In fact, just buying the game is an act of defiance.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Assassin's Creed 3 Liberation review: Console-calibre advent

Postby DAEDALUS79 » 31 Oct 2012, 17:08

Having now sold my vita its a shame to see some quality titles now appear, however I still dont think the library warrants a purchase, its incredibly weak overall.
PC gamers are isolated social degenerate peados -Reegee
DAEDALUS79 73

Xbox Live: Daedy79
PSN ID: macby19

Re: Assassin's Creed 3 Liberation review: Console-calibre ad

Postby Billybob21 » 31 Oct 2012, 17:44

Are those two "Downers" serious? No, really, they are appalling complaints. Did you honestly expect a city as large and detailed as Rome or Venice to be present in this game given the hardware and the time period. Also, why does it invite the comparison to the console games? It's a f**king handheld game! It's not a PS3 or Xbox 360 game! It's about not just you, but all reviewers got that into your head when reviewing PS Vita games.
Billybob21 48

Xbox Live: Billybob2101
PSN ID: Billybob2101
Steam: Billybob21

Postby Manjushri » 31 Oct 2012, 17:45

Got this in the post this morning, been playing it all afternoon.
I have to stop sometimes to remind myself that I'm playing on a handheld.
OK - it's not as full blown as the console/pc version, but it's still very polished.
I remember the first time I had sex - I kept the receipt.

Groucho Marx
Manjushri 48

PSN ID: Rottingface
Steam: Rottingface

Postby Fr33Kye » 31 Oct 2012, 18:06

It invites comparisons because it's so close. It's so close to the console that the points where it falls short become more obvious. Though i think most will be able to look past that.
Fr33Kye 71

Postby razors edge » 31 Oct 2012, 18:21

DAEDALUS79 wrote:Having now sold my vita its a shame to see some quality titles now appear, however I still dont think the library warrants a purchase, its incredibly weak overall.

Really?

You must have ridiculously high standards. Speaking as an owner of both consoles the Vita now exceeds the 3DS by quite some margin, To have the quality of games that it has at this early stage is quite some feat.

Loving Liberation, top quality game and my first intro to the AC world.
razors edge 41

Postby sigourney beaver » 31 Oct 2012, 18:36

seeing as my ac3 wont be here until Monday now :( this seems very tempting, kudos for taking into mind that this is a handheld game unlike other reviewers
sigourney beaver 44

Postby DAEDALUS79 » 31 Oct 2012, 18:42

razors edge wrote:
DAEDALUS79 wrote:Having now sold my vita its a shame to see some quality titles now appear, however I still dont think the library warrants a purchase, its incredibly weak overall.

Really?

You must have ridiculously high standards. Speaking as an owner of both consoles the Vita now exceeds the 3DS by quite some margin, To have the quality of games that it has at this early stage is quite some feat.

Loving Liberation, top quality game and my first intro to the AC world.

I dont mean weak as in bad quality, I mean weak as in quantity. There are some great games on it, I loved uncharted and thought Mortal Kombat was excellent as well, but my point is there arent enough games in the library to make it a strong one. The vita has been out for 6 months or so and has maybe 10 games that are really worth buying, all of which are also available on the home consoles, that was my point.

Also, why does it invite the comparison to the console games? It's a f**king handheld game! It's not a PS3 or Xbox 360 game!

Probably because the Vita brands itself as a portable home console, has ports of all the major home console titles and has many connections to the playstation 3. Its obvious that a handheld cannot match a home console for sheer scale, but a good handheld game will get around that with clever trickery and different gameplay. You cant just port a home console game by cutting content out and expect it to be as well received as the home console version.
PC gamers are isolated social degenerate peados -Reegee
DAEDALUS79 73

Xbox Live: Daedy79
PSN ID: macby19

Postby razors edge » 31 Oct 2012, 19:23

DAEDALUS79 wrote:I dont mean weak as in bad quality, I mean weak as in quantity. There are some great games on it, I loved uncharted and thought Mortal Kombat was excellent as well, but my point is there arent enough games in the library to make it a strong one. The vita has been out for 6 months or so and has maybe 10 games that are really worth buying, all of which are also available on the home consoles, that was my point.

I see what you mean now, fair point.
razors edge 41

Postby Cogglesz » 31 Oct 2012, 19:32

The PSP for me was a handheld that took long to come to life, i feel its the same with vita, these games are pretty big and i'd imagine them taking a little longer than previous gen handhelds, especially if the handheld dev teams are consideribly smaller than the main devs handling the console games, i'm not an owner of a vita yet and i'll probably get more interested after a price drop after about a year or so, with the good games that come along within that time it'l be sure to be a great investment, sony consoles this gen have took a while to flourish and i feel the vita is essentially a portable ps3 and like its older big brother it'l take a while to show what its really able to pull off, a year on and its already showing some great games, the graphics are lush and i'm sure its a comfortable piece of kit, this will be one of the first games i pick up for it :)
http://i.imgur.com/ShWjhnH.png
Cogglesz 59

PSN ID: Cogglesz
Steam: Cogglesz
Battle.net: TheCogglesz#2186
xFire: Cogglesz

Postby budge » 31 Oct 2012, 20:41

I'll be buying this when I get my Vita off Santa.
Los Rojiblancos
budge 66

Postby PseudoDuck » 01 Nov 2012, 07:29

Played this at the Eurogamer Expo and I was amazed at how it felt. Controls were perfect and it looked fantastic. No money (or time) to pick it up yet but definitely a self-gift for Christmas.
PseudoDuck 35