to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

EA reveals $381 million loss for Q2

Your comments on our articles.

Publisher remains upbeat due to strong deferred payments; Full year outlook trimmed

Electronic Arts has reported a net loss of $381 million for the three months ending in September, due in part to a weakened packaged goods business.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

EA reveals $381 million loss for Q2

Postby rhyfel » 31 Oct 2012, 11:44

GOOD. couldn't of happened to a better company.
rhyfel 37

Re: EA reveals $381 million loss for Q2

Postby FishyGinger » 31 Oct 2012, 11:50

rhyfel wrote:GOOD. couldn't of happened to a better company.

Have....have, not of. Second time in as many minutes.
Some say he's half man, half fish. Others say its more of a 70/30 split. Whatever the percentage, he's one fishy bastard.
FishyGinger 69

Postby HelloLadies » 31 Oct 2012, 11:54

Hope their share price takes a hit and Valve buy them out. The irony would not be lost on me.
HelloLadies 50

Postby toaplan » 31 Oct 2012, 12:03

EA's accounting is traditionally very complicated... I suspect that along with the deferred revenues, this large "loss" consists mainly of writedowns of past acquisitions, such as the incredibly expensive acquisition of Popcap (in a deal worth several hundred million dollars). Their actual running business seems to be doing okay, with the digital business expanding and the sports franchises showing annual sales growth.
toaplan 73

Postby stevied » 31 Oct 2012, 12:25

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

THE SOONER YOU DIE EA THE SOONER GAMERS CAN ACTUALLY ENJOY GAMING AGAIN YOU BUNCH OF c**ts!!
stevied 24

Postby TheDragonDoji » 31 Oct 2012, 12:28

This is nonsense being spouted by some lawyer/accountant demonic halfbreed to help them skip out on the full tax bill (Probably, hell I'm cynical so f**k you) whilst they buy the Moon in order to carve Battlefield 4 into it's surface for the marketing campaign that starts...tomorrow.
"You fight well...in the 'old 'style."
TheDragonDoji 44

PSN ID: TheDragonDoji

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 31 Oct 2012, 19:48

Have we really got to the stage where people actually hope a gaming company dies just because of their bizarre personal view? Here's a tip, forget about them, you don't have to buy from them, no one forces you but if you can't see the value in what the big, medium and small pubs/devs offer to the wider games industry then go get yourself a grip as right now you look like one stupid little child.
KK-Headcharge78 61

Xbox Live: TheDeadlyOG
PSN ID: slypuss7881

Postby billysastard » 01 Nov 2012, 00:27

well, its a start but still not enough.

no shock its retail goods are making a loss, thats what happens when you devalue the package so much whilst trying to maintain a premium price, just sad to see there are still too many idiots prepared to waste real money on worthless virtual goods:(

billysastard 62

Xbox Live: ImpaledGryphon
PSN ID: Impaled-Gryphon
Wii Code: wiiu-ImpaledGryphon
Steam: ImpaledGryphon

Postby billysastard » 01 Nov 2012, 00:32

KK-Headcharge78 wrote:Have we really got to the stage where people actually hope a gaming company dies just because of their bizarre personal view? Here's a tip, forget about them, you don't have to buy from them, no one forces you but if you can't see the value in what the big, medium and small pubs/devs offer to the wider games industry then go get yourself a grip as right now you look like one stupid little child.

its not about what they have to offer, its about the damage they are doing to the industry by way of their sheer greed and i'm not just on about devaluing retail games or even forcing online onto everything to sell extra dlc but the damage their paywalls are causing to the legal pre owned market by causing people to lose their jobs and pushing companies to the brink by taking away their main sources of revenue.

billysastard 62

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 01 Nov 2012, 01:28

I don't think greed is something that can be levelled purely at EA, Nintendo, MS, Sony, Ubisoft, Activision, Epic etc could all be labelled that if you were so inclined. Your argument does not account for general commerce in which such companies exist to make money or be 'greedy' some just package it better. EA have as much right as anyone to protect their business from the 2nd hand market and are far from the only business doing so. I get that people single them out as they are a big player but the fact that some gamers don't equate the same practices with other publishers is naive.
KK-Headcharge78 61

Xbox Live: TheDeadlyOG
PSN ID: slypuss7881

Postby HelloLadies » 01 Nov 2012, 06:43

I guess its more efficient to concentrate the dissatisfaction on the company that is spearheading the cause.
HelloLadies 50

Postby billysastard » 02 Nov 2012, 23:55

KK-Headcharge78 wrote:I don't think greed is something that can be levelled purely at EA, Nintendo, MS, Sony, Ubisoft, Activision, Epic etc could all be labelled that if you were so inclined. Your argument does not account for general commerce in which such companies exist to make money or be 'greedy' some just package it better. EA have as much right as anyone to protect their business from the 2nd hand market and are far from the only business doing so. I get that people single them out as they are a big player but the fact that some gamers don't equate the same practices with other publishers is naive.

oh, dont get me wrong, i'd love to see all the "online pass" companies crash and burn horribly but this article was about ea not codemasters, thq, warners, sony or any of the other anti consumer dirtballs trying to use their position to damage the market.

billysastard 62

Postby dwhlufc » 03 Nov 2012, 00:09

billysastard wrote:well, its a start but still not enough.

no shock its retail goods are making a loss, thats what happens when you devalue the package so much whilst trying to maintain a premium price, just sad to see there are still too many idiots prepared to waste real money on worthless virtual goods:(

I don't get you, billy.

You seem to Buy a lot of collectors edition from what you've posted in general gaming, so aren't you in theory buying these virtual items aswell? You may not download them like you say you won't with your Blops 2 package (the name escapes me at this time) but by purchasing the special edition tour supporting their dlc policies.
dwhlufc 75