Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation review round-up

Your comments on our articles.

Console quality Assassin's Creed on Vita?

Our Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation review will go live tomorrow once we've had more time to play through the massive Vita game, but until then you can read our Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation impressions based on a solid ten hours with the title.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby brookie_2001 » 30 Oct 2012, 18:19

I had a feeling this would be a bit disappointing. I was going to pick up a Vita to play this but now i think i might just read the wiki :P

Obviously after i finished Assassins Creed III though.
brookie_2001 62

Postby theideal » 30 Oct 2012, 18:25

Not as good as the GAFers would have me believe then. Still, as an AC fan I'll be picking it up at some point to form my own opinion anyway.

After reading a few of those reviews (and reviews of other games) it seems people are still reviewing Vita games as though they're on a home console though, seemingly forgetting that it's a portable device.
Just in case this place goes down suddenly, bookmark...
http://cvgsc.boards.net/
theideal 73

Re: Assassin's Creed 3: Liberation review round-up

Postby razors edge » 30 Oct 2012, 18:26

brookie_2001 wrote:I had a feeling this would be a bit disappointing. I was going to pick up a Vita to play this but now i think i might just read the wiki :P

Obviously after i finished Assassins Creed III though.

They both seem to be scoring fairly in line with each other, I've bought it but wouldn't have bought the Vita just to play it, it's just a nice bonus.
razors edge 43

Postby sigourney beaver » 30 Oct 2012, 20:03

if these were excellent reviews i was considering picking it up Friday but as it is I'll just stick with ac3 probs wouldn't be able to give it a decent go
sigourney beaver 45

Postby MJ-Thriller94 » 30 Oct 2012, 20:40

sigourney beaver wrote:if these were excellent reviews i was considering picking it up Friday but as it is I'll just stick with ac3 probs wouldn't be able to give it a decent go

Problem is, people are looking at this as a full blown AC game on a handheld, then get disappointed when the review scores come out. I think even some reviewers were expecting a full blown AC game. The Vita was never going to be able to deliver a proper AC game, but from what gameplay i have seen, and even from the sounds of the IGN review, they have done a decent job. At least they are putting a bit of effort into it, unlike Activision with BLOPS Declassified. Only disappointment from the review is the story doesn't link up well.

However, I can't wait to get Liberation tomorrow, need something to revive the Vita. Kudos to Ubisoft for giving some AC action on the go
Currently playing: Crysis 3, The Godfather, Bioshock Infinite, Fifa 13
MJ-Thriller94 49

Xbox Live: bigbrain303
PSN ID: MJ-Thriller94

Postby sigourney beaver » 30 Oct 2012, 20:47

MJ-Thriller94 wrote:
sigourney beaver wrote:if these were excellent reviews i was considering picking it up Friday but as it is I'll just stick with ac3 probs wouldn't be able to give it a decent go

Problem is, people are looking at this as a full blown AC game on a handheld, then get disappointed when the review scores come out. I think even some reviewers were expecting a full blown AC game. The Vita was never going to be able to deliver a proper AC game, but from what gameplay i have seen, and even from the sounds of the IGN review, they have done a decent job. At least they are putting a bit of effort into it, unlike Activision with BLOPS Declassified. Only disappointment from the review is the story doesn't link up well.

However, I can't wait to get Liberation tomorrow, need something to revive the Vita. Kudos to Ubisoft for giving some AC action on the go

yeah i had the feeling reviewer's were reviewing a full blown console ac, i want this to do well so as other devs have a go at a vita spin off
sigourney beaver 45

Postby MJ-Thriller94 » 30 Oct 2012, 20:59

sigourney beaver wrote:yeah i had the feeling reviewer's were reviewing a full blown console ac, i want this to do well so as other devs have a go at a vita spin off

Same here. The Vita deserves more attention, it is a brilliant device and really deserves to be treated better than what it currently is
Currently playing: Crysis 3, The Godfather, Bioshock Infinite, Fifa 13
MJ-Thriller94 49

Xbox Live: bigbrain303
PSN ID: MJ-Thriller94

Postby Josh298 » 30 Oct 2012, 22:24

shock just like the other brilliant psp version saves me more money so im not bothered
Josh298 44

Postby Nimron Tang » 31 Oct 2012, 13:28

theideal wrote:Not as good as the GAFers would have me believe then. Still, as an AC fan I'll be picking it up at some point to form my own opinion anyway.

After reading a few of those reviews (and reviews of other games) it seems people are still reviewing Vita games as though they're on a home console though, seemingly forgetting that it's a portable device.

I keep seeing this as well!

My question to reviewers is as follows. Why do 3DS games get reviewed as handheld games (basing your review on how it compares with other handheld games), whereas Vita games get reviewed as full console games? (basing your review on how a handheld game compares with full console games)

My guess would be that the Vita and it's games are so superior to the 3DS and any other handheld, that comparing it to a proper console and its games is the only logical option. It may be bloody good, but it most certainly isn't a console and should not be held to console standards!
It's just a ride.
Nimron Tang 49

PSN ID: Smittypig

Postby jayhawkoholic » 31 Oct 2012, 23:10

I got this game on the release day. Due to the lack of reviews I've seen on this game, here are some thoughts I have about it:

Before- I will send out a small discretion: I never spend $40 on a game, I just wanted to see what this was all about. I also love my vita. Any game that shows off what it can do, I'm interested in. I also do not like the Assassins Creed games, but still, I wanted to see what this new gen game had to offer.

Although Liberations graphics are probably the best on a portable yet, edges are still fairly rough. I was expecting to be blown away with the graphics, but they weren't as good as I thought they might be. They are still pretty good though. All the mouths move in-sync with dialogue for the most part. Leaves are a bit flat and clothing (and clothing shadows) look very printed on, instead of textures (just be aware, I know there are limitations).

The map is huge; there is a lot to explore. However, there isn't many places you can just go inside of. It would be a breath of fresh air to be able to go inside to buy weapons or get food. After awhile, everything starts looking the same; New Orleans looks like New Orleans, the Swamp looks like a swamp, and Mexico... well, haven't gotten that far yet. My point is, although the location is super cool, you are basically doing a lot of running from one person to the next with maybe a skirmish or 'tearing down a wanted poster' in between, which gets a bit old. I find myself just steering so I don't push over every woman and child I pass.

You can climb anything in the game, jumping from rooftop to rooftop or from branches or ladders. This is a great feature of the game which the other Assassins Creed games have as well. It makes the action fluid and fast moving, it's also pretty fun just running above the towns and swamps. The detail in this game is not spared at all with birds, alligators, horses, dogs- swimming. You can also travel using a canoe. It definitely shows off the potential. The scenery is beautiful; standing at the lookout and looking around is truly a work of art. It is very well done.

The main character is awesome. I don't think anyone will be disappointed in playing her through the campaign. The voice acting is cool, her backstory is cool, and all and all, she is cool. You can dress her in three different costumes (personas): Lady Persona, Slave Persona, and Assassins Persona. The different personas add a lot of depth to the game: It's fun to flirt with the guards as the lady persona or walk around a plantation as a slave carrying boxes. It's just fun.

The story mode is pretty interesting. It's a little convoluted and jumps around a bit, but the bit I've played so far, is pretty interesting and it might be the saving grace to keep this repetitive masterpiece from getting dull. You don't start getting side missions until you get to the swamp. Introducing those a bit earlier, might have been a good idea. I didn't do a whole lot of exploring at first, just playing the story mode straight, because I didn't feel like there was much more else to do. It would be cool to get a hang of the environment if there were tutorials disguised as side missions.

The fighting mechanics probably could use some work. Continuously pressing the attack button will give a slew of different attacks which makes fighting a bit boring. In my opinion, it needs a specified block, stab, and swing button. It feels too much like a button meshing contest to see if I can out-button push the enemies. The buttons change too, based on if the enemy is attacking you, which I am not a fan of. At one point, I just wanted to go on a killing spree and it was tricky getting her to lock on and kill someone. She finally did it, but after three or four kills, it automatically kills you rebuking you for killing civilians - I have knives that come out of my sleeves, what do you expect?

The sound design on it is great! The music and audio really add a touch you'd come to expect from a console game.

This game is a great addition to the vita library. I'm glad I bought it. However, I probably won't spend that much again on a vita game unless it is Hitman, GTA, Red Dead, or Fallout. There are some issues, but for the most part, it is a fun game that I think will provide HOURS of game time. I do hope as I get farther into it, there will be more to do in terms of side missions. As I've played it a bit more, I'm going to say it's a must have vita game, definitely worth checking out. I was more indifferent at first, but as I've been playing it, it's hard to even put down.

I rate this game: 8/ 10

Any questions, feel free to hit me @:
ryanhartford86@yahoo.com
jayhawkoholic 3
New user