to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Eternal Darkness 2 in doubt as Silicon Knights is 'reduced t

Your comments on our articles.

Once prosperous Canadian studio 'now has skeleton crew'; former staff speak out

Ontario studio Silicon Knights is alleged to have less than a handful of remaining employees following a drawn-out and brutal redundancy operation.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Eternal Darkness 2 in doubt as Silicon Knights is 'reduced t

Postby zinaptik » 29 Oct 2012, 14:30

a HD re-release of the first game could boost interest in a sequel, the way things are going I would not be surprised if the brand was sold anyway.

"when Activision provided a deadline for the project, the studio's management were alleged to have instituted a "mandatory six-day-a-week, 10-hour-a-day minimum crunch".

this is nothing new for developers I heard, if you watch any making off most of them sleep under there desk come crunch time.
zinaptik 47

Re: Eternal Darkness 2 in doubt as Silicon Knights is 'reduc

Postby apalmer28 » 29 Oct 2012, 14:57

I think the production of Too Human (a terrible game) sucked all the life out of that software house.

It was delayed, overbudget and then poorly received, by all means created in a Howard Hughes type obsessive state.

Then they tried to blame Epic for their Unreal engine issues, which they lost and again demoralised and tarnished their name further.

Shame because Eternal Darkness was a brilliant game.
apalmer28 56

Xbox Live: Futureshark
PSN ID: Futureshark

Postby illage2 » 29 Oct 2012, 15:31

It's a shame when s**t like this happens, they made Eternal Darkness which is one of the best games ever.
ImageImage
illage2 54

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Postby MrPirtniw » 29 Oct 2012, 18:23

illage2 wrote:It's a shame when s**t like this happens, they made Eternal Darkness which is one of the best games ever.

I'll hold you to that- I'm about to start playing it- I'm scrounging to find old school (good) horror games at the mo.

Shame about the layoffs but Too Human really was rubbish.
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 71

Xbox Live: Tysh0

Postby Barry316 » 29 Oct 2012, 18:37

Maybe Nintendo can step in to help like they did with Bayonetta. Could have a few good ideas for the sanity thing on the Wii U controller.
Here's a lockpick, now jog on.
Barry316 66

Postby Bambis Dad » 29 Oct 2012, 19:22

Barry316 wrote:Maybe Nintendo can step in to help like they did with Bayonetta. Could have a few good ideas for the sanity thing on the Wii U controller.

Or maybe Nintendo could say stuff Bayonetta and fund ED2? I know it is pretty much the same but Bayonetta sucks if you ask me.
Childhood pictures redeem, clean and so serene
See myself without ruining lines
Whole days throwing sticks into streams

I have crawled so far sideways
I recognise dim traces of creation
Bambis Dad 52

Postby Bryanee1983 » 30 Oct 2012, 00:02

Nintendo own the Eternal Darkness trademark, if they were making ED then Nintendo must of turned it down and SK tried to shop it to other publishers under another name.

SK is dead, they only have a handful of employees left. Nintendo would do better to give a more competent dev the chance to make the title, maybe Retro when they're done with whatever game they are making.
Right now, I'm letting you live. And I'll continue to keep you alive...until you've grown enough to become worth killing.♠
Joined 2001
Bryanee1983 59

Postby Kezwar » 30 Oct 2012, 00:15

illage2 wrote:It's a shame when s**t like this happens, they made Eternal Darkness which is one of the best games ever.

Great game but hardly call it one of the best games ever. Could get a bit repetitive and got extremely frustrating and tediuos towards the end. The reason people-myself included-can look over its shortcomings is because of the sheer genius of the sanity meter. I'm really flabbergasted that this concept hasn't been expanded on. In all honesty, for the sake of the IP, I'd like the studio to close an for another dev to snap up the IP, someone who would actually be able to do it justice. That might sound harsh, and I feel for those who would lose their jobs, but Silicon Knights have become rotten to the core.
let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little f**ked up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to fuckin' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?
Kezwar 44

Xbox Live: Kezwar
PSN ID: Kezwar

Postby Kezwar » 30 Oct 2012, 00:18

Bryanee1983 wrote:Nintendo own the Eternal Darkness trademark, if they were making ED then Nintendo must of turned it down and SK tried to shop it to other publishers under another name.

SK is dead, they only have a handful of employees left. Nintendo would do better to give a more competent dev the chance to make the title, maybe Retro when they're done with whatever game they are making.

f**king great idea!
let me understand this cause, ya know maybe it's me, I'm a little f**ked up maybe, but I'm funny how, I mean funny like I'm a clown, I amuse you? I make you laugh, I'm here to fuckin' amuse you? What do you mean funny, funny how? How am I funny?
Kezwar 44

Postby Kezwar » 30 Oct 2012, 00:19

Bambis Dad wrote:
Barry316 wrote:Maybe Nintendo can step in to help like they did with Bayonetta. Could have a few good ideas for the sanity thing on the Wii U controller.

Or maybe Nintendo could say stuff Bayonetta and fund ED2? I know it is pretty much the same but Bayonetta sucks if you ask me.

no-one's asking you :D
Kezwar 44

Postby illage2 » 30 Oct 2012, 05:35

Kezwar wrote:

Great game but hardly call it one of the best games ever. Could get a bit repetitive and got extremely frustrating and tediuos towards the end. The reason people-myself included-can look over its shortcomings is because of the sheer genius of the sanity meter. I'm really flabbergasted that this concept hasn't been expanded on. In all honesty, for the sake of the IP, I'd like the studio to close an for another dev to snap up the IP, someone who would actually be able to do it justice. That might sound harsh, and I feel for those who would lose their jobs, but Silicon Knights have become rotten to the core.

Agreed, the way the game messed with your head was unique.
ImageImage
illage2 54

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Postby Yellow6 » 30 Oct 2012, 14:45

Kezwar wrote:The reason people-myself included-can look over its shortcomings is because of the sheer genius of the sanity meter. I'm really flabbergasted that this concept hasn't been expanded on.

I think Call of Cthulhu: Dark Corners of the Earth used sanity....somehow, too but I may be wrong as I've not played it (yet) myself. Not sure if it was a meter or a plot device?
So many games, so little time :(
To crush your enemies, see them driven before you, and to hear the lamentation of their women.
Yellow6 46