to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Valve commences beta testing for Steam on Linux

Your comments on our articles.

Expansion to new operating system comes in the wake of Windows 8 fears

PC games giant Valve has entered the next phase in its bid to launch a full Steam service on Linux operating systems.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Valve commences beta testing for Steam on Linux

Postby alan666 » 29 Oct 2012, 12:24

Nothing wrong with covering your bases.
used to own - NES, Atari ST, Amiga 500, Mega Drive, SNK Neo Geo, SNES, Saturn, N64, PS2, GameCube, Alienware Aurora.
currently own - PS1, Xbox, Xbox360 + Kinect, Wii, PS3 + MOVE, 3DS, Games PC, Wii U.
alan666 55

Xbox Live: B1G A1AN
Steam: full_life_666
Battle.net: Origin + full_life_666
xFire: 3DS + 0087-2285-0027

Re: Valve commences beta testing for Steam on Linux

Postby solamon77 » 29 Oct 2012, 13:15

I'm going to upgrade to Windows 8 later today, but not to use the Metro interface. The last thing the PC market needs is an Apple-esc walled garden. Apple's approach is the whole reason I don't buy Apple products.
solamon77 44

Xbox Live: Solamon77
PSN ID: Solamon77
Steam: Solamon77

Postby Skullet » 29 Oct 2012, 16:01

"It is believed that Newell's specific concern is that the new OS could lead to content update filtering by Microsoft, which in turn could bottle-neck updates on platforms such as Steam."

Only someone who has never used Windows 8 or Windows in general could make that statement, honestly Steam works exactly the same on Windows 8 as it always has. The only time content filtering will be an issue is via the Windows 8 app store but that only applies to stuff you download via the app store, you are free to install games and apps outside the app store the same way you have always been able to with Windows, and that isn't going to change anytime soon.

Please stop posting these articles CVG as posting utterly clueless stuff without questioning it makes you look equally clueless.
Skullet 60

Postby solamon77 » 29 Oct 2012, 23:02

Skullet wrote:"It is believed that Newell's specific concern is that the new OS could lead to content update filtering by Microsoft, which in turn could bottle-neck updates on platforms such as Steam."

Only someone who has never used Windows 8 or Windows in general could make that statement, honestly Steam works exactly the same on Windows 8 as it always has. The only time content filtering will be an issue is via the Windows 8 app store but that only applies to stuff you download via the app store, you are free to install games and apps outside the app store the same way you have always been able to with Windows, and that isn't going to change anytime soon.

Please stop posting these articles CVG as posting utterly clueless stuff without questioning it makes you look equally clueless.

I believe Valve is worried about having something similar happen to them as to what happened to Netscape's fortunes after Microsoft started shipping Internet Explorer installed by default. It CRUSHED Netscape as a company because most computer users just simply used whatever browser was already there, never having the need to install a different browser. This was one of the major factors listed in the 1998 anti-trust case against Microsoft (United States v. Microsoft). Since the Metro interface is presented as the "default" interface a lot of people will simply assume using Microsoft's "walled garden" app store is how you get software for their computer, never bothering to install Valve's competing product: Steam.

Make no mistake, this would be bad for the PC market in general which is accustomed to operating in an open and free environment.
solamon77 44

Xbox Live: Solamon77
PSN ID: Solamon77
Steam: Solamon77

Postby Skullet » 30 Oct 2012, 01:31

solamon77 wrote:
Skullet wrote:"It is believed that Newell's specific concern is that the new OS could lead to content update filtering by Microsoft, which in turn could bottle-neck updates on platforms such as Steam."

I believe Valve is worried about having something similar happen to them as to what happened to Netscape's fortunes after Microsoft started shipping Internet Explorer installed by default. It CRUSHED Netscape as a company because most computer users just simply used whatever browser was already there, never having the need to install a different browser. This was one of the major factors listed in the 1998 anti-trust case against Microsoft (United States v. Microsoft). Since the Metro interface is presented as the "default" interface a lot of people will simply assume using Microsoft's "walled garden" app store is how you get software for their computer, never bothering to install Valve's competing product: Steam.

Make no mistake, this would be bad for the PC market in general which is accustomed to operating in an open and free environment.

I think Valve simply don't like the idea of a competing platform to Steam being built right into Windows. People who would have installed Steam will do so regardless if they are running Windows 7 or 8, they still have to go online and specifically search for and download Steam this is the same for any version of Windows, I understand that if there is an app store built into the OS less people may feel inclined to look elsewhere, but lets be honest with Steams awesome sales and the like the majority of people who are going to buy games digitally are still going to do so via Steam. Also when Steam users upgrade to Windows 8 they will naturally download Steam so that they can access their games library, they aren't going to just abandon it because Windows 8 has an app store. I think Gabe Newel needs to chill out and stop worrying about things that are out of his control.
Skullet 60

Postby YellowApple » 30 Oct 2012, 03:48

Skullet wrote:
solamon77 wrote:I believe Valve is worried about having something similar happen to them as to what happened to Netscape's fortunes after Microsoft started shipping Internet Explorer installed by default. It CRUSHED Netscape as a company because most computer users just simply used whatever browser was already there, never having the need to install a different browser. This was one of the major factors listed in the 1998 anti-trust case against Microsoft (United States v. Microsoft). Since the Metro interface is presented as the "default" interface a lot of people will simply assume using Microsoft's "walled garden" app store is how you get software for their computer, never bothering to install Valve's competing product: Steam.

I think Valve simply don't like the idea of a competing platform to Steam being built right into Windows. People who would have installed Steam will do so regardless if they are running Windows 7 or 8, they still have to go online and specifically search for and download Steam this is the same for any version of Windows, I understand that if there is an app store built into the OS less people may feel inclined to look elsewhere, but lets be honest with Steams awesome sales and the like the majority of people who are going to buy games digitally are still going to do so via Steam. Also when Steam users upgrade to Windows 8 they will naturally download Steam so that they can access their games library, they aren't going to just abandon it because Windows 8 has an app store. I think Gabe Newel needs to chill out and stop worrying about things that are out of his control.

There's only one problem with the idea that Gabe's only freaking out about the Windows App Store: Ubuntu Linux also has an app store. It's called the Ubuntu Software Center, and it sells games (like World of Goo).

I'm thinking that it's less of "omg Micro$haft is competing with us" and more of "there's a non-zero chance that Windows will end up being locked down like Mac OS X will likely be in the near future, so we ought to begin putting some of our eggs in the Linux basket, where it's very unlikely (i.e. not legal) for the system to be closed off to us and our distribution methods".

Quasi-edit: Here's a comparison of what it takes to develop for the Windows Store vs. the Ubuntu Software Center

Windows Store

1. Sign in with your MSDN account
  2. Get a sign up code text-messaged to you (in my case, it had an out-of-date phone number on file, so I had to wait for the email to arrive)
  3. Choose between "Individual" and "Company". Here's where I'm now royally p**sed. The quote from the signup page:
    Pick account type
    This is important because you can't change your account type later.
    Individual Sole proprietors and individuals should select this option. If you're in the US, you'll need to supply your Social Security Number (SSN) to receive payments. Company Company accounts are allowed to list desktop apps in the Store and can publish apps with access to additional capabilities. If you're in the US, you'll need to supply your Employer Identification Number (EIN) to receive payments. Learn more

So basically, if I don't work for someone, I receive less features. Whatever, I'll go with "Individual" for now.
  4. Next, all my contact information. I guess this part makes sense, since it's expected that I'm selling my software so I'll need to provide billing information, but still. Quite a hassle if you ask me.
  5. Now the kicker: I have to pay $49.00 US just to put something out on the Windows Store. This is where I say "screw this" (that's a rather euphemistic summarization) and try Canonical's method instead.

Ubuntu Software Center

• Log into Canonical's site with the same credentials I use for the Ubuntu Forums and Ubuntu One.
  • I'm instantly presented with a dashboard where my apps will be, and a nice orange button called "Submit a new application", so I click on the button.
  • I read through the terms and conditions. Turns out Canonical does ask for 20% of your app's sales, but only if you actually charge money for it.
  • After that, it's a matter of filling out some information and uploading the program itself (in the form of a self-contained binary or source tarball), then I submit for review and I'm done. No up-front fee (as far as I can tell; I didn't give any financial information in this entire process, but I don't have an app to upload at this time, so I didn't go through with this step).

By this process difference alone, I can already tell that Ubuntu's a lot friendlier to indie developers. Unlike the Windows Store, the Ubuntu Software Center doesn't shaft you for not being the employee of an official company, and though it still wants a cut of your sales, it's a flat 20%, rather than the "30% unless your app is really popular and then 20%, plus $50 just to publish any app at all" that Microsoft wants from you. Uploading your apps to the USS is much more straightforward.
YellowApple 1
New user

Postby CDS » 09 Nov 2012, 12:51

I'm using Steam on Windows 8 right now. It works exactly the same as on Windows 7, and if you look at the Win8 app Store, not even half of the stuff released on Steam this week and last is on there.
Why they are worrying I don't know.
CDSMEDIA CDS BLOGS

Currently waiting for - Star Wars Battlefront III / New Sonic the Hedgehog
CDS 58