to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Opinion: If you have kids, you can forget about playing game

Your comments on our articles.

PSM3's man in Japan, Dan Robson, reflects on how fatherhood affects gaming...

"Once you have kids you can forget about playing videogames; you just won't have time." So said Shinji Mikami, father of not only the survival-horror genre but also two children, when I asked him what I could expect from life as a dad. Well now I am one. And you know what? He was sort of right.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Opinion: If you have kids, you can forget about playing game

Postby illage2 » 27 Oct 2012, 19:36

Same goes if you have a job.

This article should send these kids a message, once you enter your adult life you'll find your self with more responsibilities.
ImageImage
illage2 54

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Re: Opinion: If you have kids, you can forget about playing

Postby razors edge » 27 Oct 2012, 19:58

Yup, have to agree. I now spend all my gaming hours (more often measured in minutes) on either my Vita or my 3DS (and even then I get my earphones pulled out). Zelda Skyward Sword was the last 'acceptable' game I could play on the big screen. Resident Evil 6, Skyrim, Dead Space, Bioshock Infinte? Forget it. Anything even mildly violent is a no no.

Wouldn't change it for anything though, I have lost a little but gained so much.
razors edge 41

Postby Eclipse Dj » 27 Oct 2012, 20:01

Great article - You hit the nail on the head about the choosing precious sleep of a tiny window of gaming. I have three young boys, aged 5, 3 and a 1/2 and 2, and I have only just began introducing them to gaming. They enjoy a couple of hours on the Wii as a weekend treat. It's nice for me to assist them ocassionaly as they play games like Scooby Doo, LEGO Indy, Pirates, Star Wars, Super Hero Squad etc. Even my little two year old is constantly asking to have my Galaxy SIII so he can play Angry Birds or Bad Piggies.
Eclipse Dj 49

Postby Balladeer » 27 Oct 2012, 20:38

My children (whenever I should have one/them) will be encouraged to play videogames. That's after and only after they are encouraged to read and have the context of "time management" shoved down their throats. Of course, as a Nintendo fan I'll have no problem avoiding violent games.
StonecoldMC wrote:The only ones who might Win E3 are the websites like CVG (who again had record traffic to the site for E3 yesterday) who will make millions out of the billions of comments made discussing who f**king won E3.

GNamer, for Nintendo talk.
Balladeer 77

Postby Bambis Dad » 27 Oct 2012, 20:39

I have a twenty one year old daughter and found I had plenty of time for gaming once she got to seven. Introduced her to Lion King on the SNES and worked her into a proper gamer. After me and her mam split she'd been blessed with a sister so Goldeneye and Mario Kart meant I was blessed with two other people to play with. They'd happily watch as I played games.

Sure because they were young I was limited to what games I could play, but they'd be asleep a good couple of hours before me and that was time for Resi and Silent Hill. Sure the first few years are limiting but the reward is you get to share your hobby with your kids and spend some time with them. As Nate said you have to draw the line when they want to play twenty four seven. But that is where being a parent comes into it. Get them into other things, Saturday mornings were time for nature walks, swimming, going to the cinema etc. Just be a good parent and it'll be fine.
Childhood pictures redeem, clean and so serene
See myself without ruining lines
Whole days throwing sticks into streams

I have crawled so far sideways
I recognise dim traces of creation
Bambis Dad 52

Postby beastie » 27 Oct 2012, 23:04

I'm going to rope mine in, one with a fan, one with a glass of water.
When I climb the snowy peaks of Skyrim one kid will turn the fan on for the icy breeze, when I go to catch some fish the other can flick water in my face for the ocean spray.
I would need a litter though:/ One with a heat lamp, one could raid the fridge for the types of food I see on screen, waiving some cheese under my nose could really help in the immersion for when I raid a mammoth camp.

Sadly I think it could go horribly wrong if I stick Forza on and have kids behind, constantly asking me 'Are we there yet?'
beastie 52

Postby TheRandyNinja » 28 Oct 2012, 00:10

I have 2 little ones and my little boy who's 3 forces me to play trials with him if its not that he plays angry birds on the missus phone the problem now is its a fight for the controller all the time
TheRandyNinja 53

Xbox Live: Randy Ninja
PSN ID: Randy Ninja

Postby Bambis Dad » 28 Oct 2012, 01:02

TheRandyNinja wrote:I have 2 little ones and my little boy who's 3 forces me to play trials with him if its not that he plays angry birds on the missus phone the problem now is its a fight for the controller all the time

You've got to keep them entertained whilst they watch you play. I used to make up stories for what was going on onscreen. I got play and the kids would have a giggle as Qui Gonn got infuriated with Obi Wan had forgotten to get his saveloy or Links vocal moaning about why Princess Ruto should shut her yap or he was going to quit being a hero and take up a career in window cleaning. Not Ross Noble funny but when you turn up to school to pick your daughter up and she berates you in a mexican accent for forgetting her saveloy and her mam has no idea what's going on, well it is priceless.
Childhood pictures redeem, clean and so serene
See myself without ruining lines
Whole days throwing sticks into streams

I have crawled so far sideways
I recognise dim traces of creation
Bambis Dad 52

Postby l1nc » 28 Oct 2012, 08:35

I have a 7 year old son and a 3 year old daughter. They both love video games especially nintendo. I can remember my son when he was 3 watching me play mario galaxy 1 and cheering me on as i mashed Bowser. I think a good routine is needed for bedtime so parents can have the telly to watch and play mature stuff, I normally get my chance to play my games after the wifes watched soap lands.
Ol skool from speccy to ps3
l1nc 41

Xbox Live: l1nc
PSN ID: l1nctendo

Postby gnokgnik » 28 Oct 2012, 09:37

I've got two kids, and actually I have played more after their birth than before, due to better games and consoles. Sure when they're (the kids) in diapers and are really small, it's tough times. But the thing is, children grows. :-) But until they're grown, it's important to have good bedtime routines, more than one big screen telly, and let the missus watch all soap operas, reality shows and dancing programs that exist on TV. And while she's doing that, I play my games in stead, on my own big screen Samsung in the next room. ;-)
gnokgnik 51

Postby malgarroth » 28 Oct 2012, 11:27

Flat-out disagree.
I'm a full time father and I play the s**t out of everything worth playing (Usually after the hours of 7:30 pm)

My daughter was sound asleep at midnight on 10/11/11 when Skyrim unlocked on Steam and I had time to complete most of the Dragonborn questline and get a few hours shut-eye before she awoke.

Sure, gaming and fathering keeps your eyelids heavy but I'm happy to say that my former great passion (games) fits in nicely with my reason for existing (my daughter).
malgarroth 19

Postby razors edge » 28 Oct 2012, 12:09

malgarroth wrote:Flat-out disagree.
I'm a full time father and I play the s**t out of everything worth playing (Usually after the hours of 7:30 pm)

My daughter was sound asleep at midnight on 10/11/11 when Skyrim unlocked on Steam and I had time to complete most of the Dragonborn questline and get a few hours shut-eye before she awoke.

Sure, gaming and fathering keeps your eyelids heavy but I'm happy to say that my former great passion (games) fits in nicely with my reason for existing (my daughter).

Are you a single father of one? Only asking because If I 'played the s**t' out of everything after the hours of 7.30pm I soon would be.
razors edge 41

Postby The_KFD_Case » 28 Oct 2012, 13:35

beastie wrote:I'm going to rope mine in, one with a fan, one with a glass of water.
When I climb the snowy peaks of Skyrim one kid will turn the fan on for the icy breeze, when I go to catch some fish the other can flick water in my face for the ocean spray.
I would need a litter though:/ One with a heat lamp, one could raid the fridge for the types of food I see on screen, waiving some cheese under my nose could really help in the immersion for when I raid a mammoth camp.

Sadly I think it could go horribly wrong if I stick Forza on and have kids behind, constantly asking me 'Are we there yet?'

:lol:
"Unfounded optimism is no worse than relentless pessimism."
The_KFD_Case 65

Postby rbt2 » 28 Oct 2012, 13:52

My boy is 13 and has virtually no interest in video games.
When I bought me first 3DS I showed it to him thinking I would have to get another one as I wouldn't get a look in.
He had a go on it for about half an hour, said 'yeah, very good,' then gave it back!
Which surprised me as he loved Pokemon cards for a while.
He did use to like Fifa/Pro Evo but I got fed up with getting thrashed 8/9/10 nil by a kid so I discouraged.
Well rather that than constant humiliation. And by a kid.
I am not good at games anymore but have always been bad at footy games as much as I love football.....all fingers and fumbs, me.
All he loves now is real football and girls and music.
The little ponce!
rbt2 76

PSN ID: rbteagle

Postby MANYOO4EVA » 28 Oct 2012, 13:56

Rubbish. I have two kids and still play games.

My two are in bed at 8pm and usually asleep not longer after that, giving me an hour to play a game.

I also do shift work, so I can play games when the kids are at school.

I don't play as much as I use to, but I still get sufficient time to do so.

Effective time management is key.
MANYOO4EVA 40

Next