to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

GJA: Skyrim voted the Best RPG

Your comments on our articles.

Bethesda stands tall above strong competition from EA and Blizzard

Critically acclaimed blockbuster Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim has taken the top RPG prize at this year's hmv Golden Joystick Awards.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

GJA: Skyrim voted the Best RPG

Postby TerrorK » 27 Oct 2012, 06:31

Skyrim deserved the win, IMO. I'd have said Witcher 2, but that's technically last years game, IMO, and shouldn't have got a nomination in the first place. Mass Effect 3 shouldn't have even got a look-in... it's barely an RPG at all, and was an incredibly shoddy and half-assed game as a whole. ME3 was the ending that should have gone out with a bang, but just ended up instead going out with a dribbly fart noise. A great series that stumbled horribly at the end and barely managed to cross the finish line, all for the sake of selling out and pandering to the CoD crowd.
TerrorK 54

Re: GJA: Skyrim voted the Best RPG

Postby Detoxify » 27 Oct 2012, 18:53

TerrorK wrote:Skyrim deserved the win, IMO. I'd have said Witcher 2, but that's technically last years game, IMO, and shouldn't have got a nomination in the first place. Mass Effect 3 shouldn't have even got a look-in... it's barely an RPG at all, and was an incredibly shoddy and half-assed game as a whole. ME3 was the ending that should have gone out with a bang, but just ended up instead going out with a dribbly fart noise. A great series that stumbled horribly at the end and barely managed to cross the finish line, all for the sake of selling out and pandering to the CoD crowd.

The Witcher 2 was released for PC during 2011 and regardless of the other two release dates it still counts as 2011 so it should have gotten a decent place let alone footing since Skyrim won a few awards last year when it came out close to being nominated at the same time.

Also I'd like to point out that just because the ending of ME3 sucked (I did not play the game but I've watched friends play it and watched all cutscenes and gameplay) does not make it less of an RPG, if anything it's the overall mechanics you should look at.

IMO Skyrim had it's time to shine last year and it still remains a bug ridden game along with PS3 users suffering greatly for it and no matter how many people vote for the game it does not in fact make it the best game.
Detoxify 3
New user

Postby Galactix100 » 27 Oct 2012, 19:19

TerrorK wrote:Skyrim deserved the win, IMO. I'd have said Witcher 2, but that's technically last years game, IMO, and shouldn't have got a nomination in the first place. Mass Effect 3 shouldn't have even got a look-in... it's barely an RPG at all, and was an incredibly shoddy and half-assed game as a whole. ME3 was the ending that should have gone out with a bang, but just ended up instead going out with a dribbly fart noise. A great series that stumbled horribly at the end and barely managed to cross the finish line, all for the sake of selling out and pandering to the CoD crowd.

It was more of an RPG than Skyrim and a better one. Skyrim failed in every aspect of what makes an RPG an RPG. The combat was pathetic, the story was weak, the intro was terrible, I had no incentive to play the game after the tutorial etc.

This guy explains why it's so bad better than I do: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=joBYYNxY ... e=g-user-u

Point is Mass Effect was easily a better game than Skyrim, Skyrim shouldn't have won or even have been entered in this category
Galactix100 4
New user

Postby TerrorK » 28 Oct 2012, 04:19

Detoxify wrote:
The Witcher 2 was released for PC during 2011 and regardless of the other two release dates it still counts as 2011 so it should have gotten a decent place let alone footing since Skyrim won a few awards last year when it came out close to being nominated at the same time.

The original PC release of Witcher 2 falls outside the window, and it was part of last years nominations. What I'm objecting to is the fact that just because it was ported to 360 this year, it suddenly gets counted as if it was another game. That would be fine if all things were equal and some of the late PC releases (L.A. Noire, Rayman Origins, etc.) were given the same consideration, but they're not. It's as if the game doesn't really count until the console version comes along, and that mentality p**ses me off. Either treat all platforms equal and give late PC releases the same courtesy, or don't suddenly act like the console versions are a whole new game.

Also I'd like to point out that just because the ending of ME3 sucked (I did not play the game but I've watched friends play it and watched all cutscenes and gameplay) does not make it less of an RPG, if anything it's the overall mechanics you should look at.

But ME3's problems weren't just the ending sucking. The whole game was mediocre, and almost none of the promises made from the devs were kept. Our choices didn't matter, the whole game was completely linear despite promises from BioWare that it wouldn't be, there were barely any dialogue choices, there was far too much autodialogue and as a whole a character that once felt like mine in the prior games no longer did, as BioWare instead made me play their Shepard and take part in their story instead of my own. The import stuff was lazy and cheap, filled with cop-outs, railroading, cheap substitutes and weak, half-assed non-solutions. Even avoiding the ending the writing was pretty weak in some areas (almost all of the Cerberus stuff (especially Kai Leng), everything to do with the stupid kid, the way Ashley and Kaidan were handled, the Deus Ex machina that was The Crucible (that, again, we were promised wouldn't be the case or solution to defeating The Reapers)), the way character substitutes and prior decisions like The Council, The Rachni Queen, the Quarian/Geth conflict were handled, etc.). On top of it all, instead of proper solutions, everything came down to simply building up a stupid number that was completely arbitrary, thus neutering any emotional connections to circumstances.

The game was barely a roleplaying game because I barely got to roleplay any more, with so few dialogue options compared to the other two, Shepard speaking half the time automatically without my input and saying and doing things I would never have them do, while they are forced down a completely linear story where my choices don't matter because all that counts now is raising a stupid number and the same thing essentially happens no matter what I do.

Mass Effect 3 was just a bad game, even avoiding the ending entirely. Or, at the very least, even if it wasn't a bad gane per se, it was a bad RPG, a bad Mass Effect and a bad final entry to what could and should have been an epic trilogy. When I said it went out with a dribbly, wet fart sound, I meant the whole game, not just the last 10 minutes.

IMO Skyrim had it's time to shine last year and it still remains a bug ridden game along with PS3 users suffering greatly for it and no matter how many people vote for the game it does not in fact make it the best game.

Aside from the fact that I have the PC version and suffered almost no bugs outside of a few mod conflicts and a brief two day period where my Nord's frost resistance was borked, if we're going to call major bugs into things, then Diablo III should also lose points for its stupid server issues and draconian DRM, and ME3 should be discounted for its face import system not only not working when the game released, but still not being fixed now and players discovering that some faces from the original games are impossible to recreate in the third outing because the options aren't even there.

One thing I must admit to, and that's that perhaps myself and others who play on PC are looking at Skyrim a little unfairly, because we're evaluating a game that many of us have 20+ mods attached to by this point. That's not to say that vanilla Skyrim isn't great too, but modded Skyrim is close to gaming perfection, because whether it's changing something you don't like or simply adding more depth to the game, you can pretty much do whatever you want to it now to suit your tastes. Skyrim for me as an experience can be very different than the next person thanks to mods.
TerrorK 54