Top-selling console games of 2012 revealed for Europe, US an

Your comments on our articles.

FIFA, Madden and Pokémon lead sales charts for first nine months of the year

Nintendo has published lists of the 20 top-selling console games in Europe, the US and Japan during the first nine months of 2012.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Top-selling console games of 2012 revealed for Europe, US an

Postby Barca Azul » 25 Oct 2012, 12:55

Surprised by the lack of 360 games in Europe, ntot as balanced as the US.

Ninty are raking it in in Japan then on software.
Barca Azul 63

Re: Top-selling console games of 2012 revealed for Europe, U

Postby gypsygib » 25 Oct 2012, 15:55

As a North American (Canadian), I have a newfound respect for the gaming tastes of Europeans. I'm immensely pleased that the number one game was not the twitch shooter COD, as it is over here, year after year. Perhaps it is true that Europeans are more cultured.

I always thought that sports games offer superior online MP to any shooter as they emphasize team play, not the selfish pursuit of high k/d ratios at the expense of all else. Naturally, my favourite is NHL but the fundamental principles of quality online competitive play (teamwork) remain.

Well done.
gypsygib 24

Postby Sleepaphobic » 25 Oct 2012, 16:19

gypsygib wrote:I always thought that sports games offer superior online MP to any shooter as they emphasize team play, not the selfish pursuit of high k/d ratios at the expense of all else. Naturally, my favourite is NHL but the fundamental principles of quality online competitive play (teamwork) remain.

If you're a real hockey fan then you would not have bought it as the NHL is screwing us fans out of a season. I refuse to buy any game until this is sorted out and there is no way in hell I'll be buying gamecenter any time soon.
Some cheerleader at school or hot secretary at the office may not think you are cool but let’s be real, those very same bitches don’t love bacon and still use IE to explore the web.
Sleepaphobic 52

Xbox Live: Sleepaphobic
PSN ID: Sleepaphobic
Steam: Sleepaphobic

Postby Barca Azul » 25 Oct 2012, 16:56

gypsygib wrote:As a North American (Canadian), I have a newfound respect for the gaming tastes of Europeans. I'm immensely pleased that the number one game was not the twitch shooter COD, as it is over here, year after year. Perhaps it is true that Europeans are more cultured.

I always thought that sports games offer superior online MP to any shooter as they emphasize team play, not the selfish pursuit of high k/d ratios at the expense of all else. Naturally, my favourite is NHL but the fundamental principles of quality online competitive play (teamwork) remain.

Well done.

Some yes, others no :D CoD is at no 4

I think the fact FIFA 12 is 3rd in the list speaks volumes on how poor the release calendar has been till now this year.

You can probably cut and paste most of the top 10 for next year too to be honest though, with the odd exception.
Barca Azul 63

Postby verrg5 » 26 Oct 2012, 03:53

I do not get how people find joy in playing sports games... I'd rather play the sport, not video game it...=.=..
but whatevs, maybe im missing something
verrg5 35

Postby Balladeer » 26 Oct 2012, 08:11

Barca Azul wrote:You can probably cut and paste most of the top 10 for next year too to be honest though, with the odd exception.

We'll be seeing a new console released, and Halo 4. Some will stay the same, but I expect (and hope - too many sports games up there) most to change.

gypsygib wrote:As a North American (Canadian), I have a newfound respect for the gaming tastes of Europeans. I'm immensely pleased that the number one game was not the twitch shooter COD, as it is over here, year after year. Perhaps it is true that Europeans are more cultured.

More into sports (and possibly teamwork), yes, but cultured?
Balladeer 78

Postby hi0marc » 26 Oct 2012, 13:45

Barca Azul wrote:Surprised by the lack of 360 games in Europe, ntot as balanced as the US.

Ninty are raking it in in Japan then on software.

The US is heavily heavily unbalanced towards MS and the 360; EU is mainly PS3 i agree but it is knocked back by the majority-Xbox UK.
hi0marc 41

Postby flash501 » 26 Oct 2012, 16:18

Some day, Sony will realise how much money us European gamers are giving them and will finally stop treating us like we're almost an inconvenience to them.

Some day.
flash501 79

PSN ID: flash501

Postby Bambis Dad » 26 Oct 2012, 18:28

Are they gonna go software only in this vision Flash?
Childhood pictures redeem, clean and so serene
See myself without ruining lines
Whole days throwing sticks into streams

I have crawled so far sideways
I recognise dim traces of creation
Bambis Dad 52

Postby Mortal Mad Matt » 26 Oct 2012, 19:05

verrg5 wrote:I do not get how people find joy in playing sports games... I'd rather play the sport, not video game it...=.=..
but whatevs, maybe im missing something

You can't always play the sport though for various reasons. I'm not a fan of sports game myself but I can see the appeal. This is weird, my flat mate just came in and gave me free pair of footy boots while I was typing this. :D
Mortal Mad Matt 49

Xbox Live: Mortal Mad Matt

Postby Bambis Dad » 26 Oct 2012, 19:13

I don't wish to speak on Gypsy's behalf, bu ya'll know I'm gonna. What he said he liked about them was they are a genre that, almost exclusively in modern gaming, encourages cooperative game play. I don't like FPS but don't mind private multi player games. But there is always one dick that wants to steal kills and not play as part of the team. I found the same thing in Burnout Paradise where you'd try and do the multi player events and there'd be one person sat on the otherside of the map doing their own thing.

Bambis Dad 52

Postby flash501 » 27 Oct 2012, 02:05

Bambis Dad wrote:Are they gonna go software only in this vision Flash?

The vision is far too far fetched anyway so, whatever you can think of basically!
flash501 79

PSN ID: flash501

Postby Dalaeck » 29 Oct 2012, 22:23

My fellow Canadian, have you not noticed that the NA charts are dominated by equally stupid sports games as the European charts?
Looking at these lists both sides of the pond live in a vastly more stupid culture than the Japanese.
Dalaeck 42

Postby Bambis Dad » 29 Oct 2012, 22:45

Which of your fellow canucks are you referring to? The one that enjoys sports related video games or the one that prefers to play sports outside?

Bambis Dad 52