to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

MS details new Xbox subscription model rollout

Your comments on our articles.

Three bundles offered including 'limited time' 250GB Xbox & Kinect bundle, two more retailers join

Microsoft has detailed plans to introduce a larger selection of Xbox 360 payment plans through a larger number of retailer across US.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

MS details new Xbox subscription model rollout

Postby FixBeatGames » 23 Oct 2012, 21:39

£300 for a 4GB 360?

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
FixBeatGames 41

Re: MS details new Xbox subscription model rollout

Postby starsail » 23 Oct 2012, 22:12

To all you anti-Sony fanboys, now look at what you've done!
starsail 45

Postby Bambis Dad » 23 Oct 2012, 22:24

Carphone warehouse do a 4GB 360 deal that includes a phone for less than sixteen quid a month.
Childhood pictures redeem, clean and so serene
See myself without ruining lines
Whole days throwing sticks into streams

I have crawled so far sideways
I recognise dim traces of creation
Bambis Dad 52

Postby TheLastDodo » 23 Oct 2012, 22:45

I like the idea of a subscription model for games consoles but not at these prices.
CURRENTLY PLAYING Mario Kart 8 - Titanfall
BEST GAMES OF 2014 Titanfall - South Park - Wolfenstein - Valiant Hearts
Twitter @the1paz
TheLastDodo 77

Postby MrPirtniw » 23 Oct 2012, 23:12

Still not seeing the problem kiddies- stick to the non subscription method. Y'know, as in the regular way of owning a console. The choice is there however (for any crazy people) who do want to give their money away. At that price I can't see this method being very popular and either being adjusted or dying on its arse.

Now, back to Xcom. :mrgreen:
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 70

Xbox Live: Tysh0

Postby Bambis Dad » 23 Oct 2012, 23:16

How do you get those sigs and do they update automatically?
Childhood pictures redeem, clean and so serene
See myself without ruining lines
Whole days throwing sticks into streams

I have crawled so far sideways
I recognise dim traces of creation
Bambis Dad 52

Postby TheLastDodo » 24 Oct 2012, 00:18

Made mine in MS Paint :)
CURRENTLY PLAYING Mario Kart 8 - Titanfall
BEST GAMES OF 2014 Titanfall - South Park - Wolfenstein - Valiant Hearts
Twitter @the1paz
TheLastDodo 77

Postby budge » 24 Oct 2012, 01:04

MrPirtniw wrote:Still not seeing the problem kiddies- stick to the non subscription method. Y'know, as in the regular way of owning a console. The choice is there however (for any crazy people) who do want to give their money away. At that price I can't see this method being very popular and either being adjusted or dying on its arse.

Now, back to Xcom. :mrgreen:

I'm near the end of XCOM (I think) on my PS3 and the game keeps freezing on me a lot. I thought it was just my machine being ancient but a quick Google of the problem turned out to be quite common. Dunno if it's just on the PS3, anybody else having the same issues?
Los Rojiblancos
budge 66

Postby bazzatuk » 24 Oct 2012, 01:29

My issue is that these kind of ideas will eventually replace the non-subscription option. Before long you'll have a two year contract on consoles as the only option.

I have looked into my crystal ball, and the future looks... expensive.
bazzatuk 57

Xbox Live: Fur1ous Apollo
PSN ID: Apollo T4L

Postby MrPirtniw » 24 Oct 2012, 02:49

budge wrote: I'm near the end of XCOM (I think) on my PS3 and the game keeps freezing on me a lot. I thought it was just my machine being ancient but a quick Google of the problem turned out to be quite common. Dunno if it's just on the PS3, anybody else having the same issues?

I've had a few issues with Xcom so far- 360 version by the way (finished it on normal- going to go through again on iron man):

It froze on me twice during my playthrough- once even after I installed it to the HD.
Had some wierd graphical errors. At one point one of my soldiers got plasma'd in the teeth and during the death cutscene he appeared to be wearing a wig because he suddenly went bald. Then he fell through the floor.
After I had purchased a hover SHIV I completed a mission with it and then it vanished. I could still select it but it just wasn't there. I took it out on another mission and it had been replaced by a random soldier with standard issue weaponry- he didn't say anything but I could order him about. But he panicked all the bloody time. The SHIV never reappeared.
How come my units can fire through walls when I put them in Overwatch? Is that normal? Kind of feel I'm cheating a bit.
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 70

Xbox Live: Tysh0

Postby budge » 24 Oct 2012, 08:30

MrPirtniw wrote:
budge wrote: I'm near the end of XCOM (I think) on my PS3 and the game keeps freezing on me a lot. I thought it was just my machine being ancient but a quick Google of the problem turned out to be quite common. Dunno if it's just on the PS3, anybody else having the same issues?

I've had a few issues with Xcom so far- 360 version by the way (finished it on normal- going to go through again on iron man):

It froze on me twice during my playthrough- once even after I installed it to the HD.
Had some wierd graphical errors. At one point one of my soldiers got plasma'd in the teeth and during the death cutscene he appeared to be wearing a wig because he suddenly went bald. Then he fell through the floor.
After I had purchased a hover SHIV I completed a mission with it and then it vanished. I could still select it but it just wasn't there. I took it out on another mission and it had been replaced by a random soldier with standard issue weaponry- he didn't say anything but I could order him about. But he panicked all the bloody time. The SHIV never reappeared.
How come my units can fire through walls when I put them in Overwatch? Is that normal? Kind of feel I'm cheating a bit.

Haha, that transforming SHIV bug is mad, not experienced it myself because i've never taken one on a mission. I always felt like a cheat too when my squad would shoot through walls and s**t, my squadsight sniper is famous for it!

The constant freezing (every second mission) must be a PS3 memory issue thing and i've read that it usually starts happening just after the golloping machine is built. I hope it's picked up on by Firaxis soon because it's become frustrating having to reboot and reload all the time, i've started a new playthrough on classic in the meantime until the issue is fixed.
Los Rojiblancos
budge 66

Postby richomack360 » 24 Oct 2012, 09:02

Stupidest idea since OnLive,

If i had a ten year old who wanted an Xbox and only had the subscription model available how would he get one ? Yup, parents stump up the cash and are then burdened with more debt and another credit commitment.

What happens if someone has a poor credit rating ? What happens when the Xbox breaks down ? What happens if the person doesn't pay and just keeps the Xbox offline ?

Seriously, this is a stupid kind of greed.
Twitter - @richomack360, XBL: richomack360

R.I.P. Rik Mayall - British comedy has lost an icon and a jolly nice b'stard.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360

Postby MRHONGKONGDAVE » 24 Oct 2012, 09:51

You can pick up 360s for £90 second hand why would you spend that plus another £200 over 2 years!
MRHONGKONGDAVE 35

Xbox Live: MRHONGKONGDAVE
PSN ID: MRHONGKONGDAVE
Steam: MRHONGKONGDAVE
Battle.net: MRHONGKONGDAVE (origin)

Postby rhyfel » 24 Oct 2012, 09:58

to the people who think this scheme by microsoft is a good idea, WELL ITS NOT its a joke go right ahead if you want to be ripped off.
rhyfel 37

Postby Black Mantis » 24 Oct 2012, 10:33

bazzatuk wrote:My issue is that these kind of ideas will eventually replace the non-subscription option. Before long you'll have a two year contract on consoles as the only option.

I have looked into my crystal ball, and the future looks... expensive.

Where's the precedent though? It's never happened with any other product, so it's extremely unlikely to happen with consoles.
Black Mantis 67

Next