to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Medal of Honor Warfighter out today: Epic day-one patch, but

Your comments on our articles.

'Sales likely to disappoint' ahead of triple-A release storm, claims analyst

EA's Medal of Honor: Warfighter launches today in the US and later this week in Europe, but no reviews have yet been published for the shooter.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Medal of Honor Warfighter out today: Epic day-one patch, but

Postby Megatrons_Fury » 23 Oct 2012, 10:39

If your going to launch a FPS game make sure you do it in april or something when theres no competition, 25 million yearly cod sales shows the september to december window is taken.
Megatrons_Fury 50

Re: Medal of Honor Warfighter out today: Epic day-one patch,

Postby FixBeatGames » 23 Oct 2012, 10:51

good. hopefully it will stop them adding another miltary shooter to the endless pile of them next year then.
FixBeatGames 41

Postby sonic_uk » 23 Oct 2012, 10:57

Absolutely ridiculous. These REVIEW EMBARGO'S HAVE TO STOP. How can consumers know whether to pre-order a game or not if the publishers withhold the review copies until after release? A game should have a review out a week or more before release to give people an idea of what its like so they can make an informed decision whether to purchase or not.

As for the games success, well, that's the publishers fault. Where is the advertising? Because apart from a couple of videos on gaming sites (which we all know the vast majority of gamers out there don't visit) I have yet to see any adverts or poster etc of any kind. Of course the game is going to be far better than that "other" AAA military shooter out there, but how are the games buying public going to know that it exists without some advertising? Withholding the review copies doesn't inspire confidence for those people on the fence with regards to a purchase either. I know what I would do if I were writing for a games website/magazine. I would review it anyway based on the code I have played and when the publisher gets in touch to have a go I would simply tell them its their fault for not giving us the review code on time. If everyone did this the message would quickly sink in and hopefully ridiculous embargo's would be a thing of the past.
Own...360(Slim), Ps4, Ps3(SuperSlim), Ps2, Ps1, PsVita, XperiaPlay, Gamecube, Snes, Dreamcast, Megadrive, MegaCd 2, Saturn, Gamegear, PC

Owned...Acorn Electron, Atari 2600, Gameboy, Master System, 32x, GBA SP, Xbox, Psp, 360(Premium), Ps3(BC), Wii(BC)
sonic_uk 55

Postby Imaduck » 23 Oct 2012, 11:10

So no reviews on release date? Well that's reassuring :roll: . f**k this, f**k EA.
Imaduck 58

Postby svd_grasshopper » 23 Oct 2012, 11:19

supposedly review copies weren't handed out until today cause they were working on a critical day one patch, with the game being pretty much broken, and therefore unplayable. that wouldn't bode well for reviews, so they held it back.

i'm sure CVG just missed this peice of info and did not choose the inflammatory story instead, on purpose.

it could still of course be shite.
I LIKE ELECTRO, I LIKE RETRO, I LIKE GHETTO: HOUSE & TECHNO!
svd_grasshopper 62

Postby richomack360 » 23 Oct 2012, 11:22

If you went to a car dealer and asked for a test drive and they replied "no" with no apparant reason that would get me thinking along the lines that the car is a bit rubbish and a test drive would put you off.

Same applies with this game.
Twitter - @richomack360, XBL: richomack360

R.I.P. Rik Mayall - British comedy has lost an icon and a jolly nice b'stard.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360

Postby RustySpoon80 » 23 Oct 2012, 11:23

FixBeatGames wrote:good. hopefully it will stop them adding another miltary shooter to the endless pile of them next year then.

Sorry, but next year Battlefield 4 goes head to head with COD (Infinity wards MW replacement)
RustySpoon80 55

Postby toaplan » 23 Oct 2012, 11:25

@Sonic: I've seen lots of TV and other ads for MoH, so I'm not about worried about that. But the lack of reviews raises an eyebrow. On the other hand MoH 2010 sold well despite average reviews. Homefront was another military shooter that was advertised a lot and sold well despite the reviews. MoH 2010 was underrated by reviewers, imo, so perhaps EA is just letting the players judge the title first instead of reviewers who have possibly played too many FPS games over the years.
toaplan 73

Postby Sleepaphobic » 23 Oct 2012, 11:27

sonic_uk wrote:Absolutely ridiculous. These REVIEW EMBARGO'S HAVE TO STOP. How can consumers know whether to pre-order a game or not if the publishers withhold the review copies until after release? A game should have a review out a week or more before release to give people an idea of what its like so they can make an informed decision whether to purchase or not.

I know what I would do if I were writing for a games website/magazine. I would review it anyway based on the code I have played and when the publisher gets in touch to have a go I would simply tell them its their fault for not giving us the review code on time. If everyone did this the message would quickly sink in and hopefully ridiculous embargo's would be a thing of the past.

This is a pretty common thing. I think Bethesda only gave review copies of Skyrim on the PC and XBox early coz they knew the PS3 version was gonna get bashed. While it does stop some from preordering it looks like it prevents more people from cancelling preorders.

Sites do give impressions on preview code but it seems nobody ever reads those. How does it make you look as a professional if you're only reviewing a tiny bit of the game. How many times have we laughed at those idiots who basically review a game after a small demo or a film after a preview? Doing that would make the reviewer/site a complete joke.
Some cheerleader at school or hot secretary at the office may not think you are cool but let’s be real, those very same bitches don’t love bacon and still use IE to explore the web.
Sleepaphobic 52

Xbox Live: Sleepaphobic
PSN ID: Sleepaphobic
Steam: Sleepaphobic

Postby darry » 23 Oct 2012, 11:46

They use this tactic in the film industry all the time. When a distributor knows it's got a turkey on its hands the don't do previews or review screenings so their opening weekend numbers don't get destroyed by bad reviews.

Hopefully in this case it's just so they can get the patch out and have a working game on day one, but I guess we'll find out once the Americans have played it for a few hours.
darry 54

Postby illage2 » 23 Oct 2012, 12:28

If they don't send out review copies it doesn't mean the game is going to suck. This is actually a good decision by EA. It prevents spoilers and reviewers from playing the game before everybody else. This is something I've wanted to happen for a long time. "This doesn't make sense" yes it does. Not everyone is gonna get the game on day one, it's better to review the game on release, than review it days before everyone else.

Also I don't think it's fair to review a game based on 2-3 hours gameplay, you should complete most of the game before reviewing it.

Also day one patches are not new. Several new games have tiny (between 2-5mb) patches on day one. It's f**king irritating, as it shouldn't have a day one patch, this mainly occurs on the Xbox.

Dishonored - 5mb Xbox patch on release
Borderlands 2 - 2MB patch on release

Although given the MoH update being massive on day one is very odd.
ImageImage
illage2 53

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Postby TheLastDodo » 23 Oct 2012, 13:56

No early exclusive reviews in magazines was a warning sign, no reviews at all is a warning sign, generally poor previews was another warning sign, beta was poorly received going on what I've read on here, massive day one patch is another warning sign.

How many hints do you need people? :lol:

I only hope CVG and other reviews do the right thing and review the game without installing the patch.
CURRENTLY PLAYING Mario Kart 8 - Titanfall
BEST GAMES OF 2014 Titanfall - South Park - Wolfenstein - Valiant Hearts
Twitter @the1paz
TheLastDodo 77

Postby MANYOO4EVA » 23 Oct 2012, 14:08

Why don't they just delay it until April/May next year when not much is coming out?

Thay way they can fix any problems beforehand and get good sales as it will be 6 months after COD/Halo has been released and 6 months before BF4/New COD.

It aint rocket scienece is it. These publishers like EA make billions and cannot even make a simple common sense decision.

TBH, i don't know why I'm bothering, as it sounds like it ain't that good anyway and the 2010 reboot was average at best.
MANYOO4EVA 40

Postby KK-Headcharge78 » 23 Oct 2012, 14:11

FixBeatGames wrote:good. hopefully it will stop them adding another miltary shooter to the endless pile of them next year then.

Awww diddums have your struggled to make it through this year with sooooooo many military FPS shooters (Ghost Recon) it must have been that hard to wish that there is even fewer next year. The moral outrage at the lack of a review is a bit tenuous, it's hardly a new thing and since most reviews on here get knocked for been wrong in the eyes of the reader (too low a score for the darling games/publishers and two high for the evil EA/Activision et al games) I really doubt people take that much genuine note of reviews alone. I'll watch the videos, the write-ups, the features and then some reviews (if available) before making a decision, don't get me wrong a review would be nice but it don't make decisions in isolation surely.

Besides MOH is on a hiding to nothing, hell it's made by EA, is a military FPS, probably 'offers nothing new' and is likely 'exactly' the same as COD, BF blah blah blah. Those, like me, who liked the last MOH will be interested and review makes f**k all difference imo, my friend already has it and says it is brilliant so that's plenty for me.

I bet you it is good but of course you'll need to like military FPS's, or even just FPS's to get involved.

* I do agree with those who question its release date, but that goes for a lot of releases this autumn/winter, there is some monolith coming out in November called BigFlops 2 and it will take vast chunks out of other games sales- let the moral outrage begin once more :mrgreen:
KK-Headcharge78 61

Xbox Live: TheDeadlyOG
PSN ID: slypuss7881

Postby toaplan » 23 Oct 2012, 14:16

Based on the previews, I'd say it looks much more polished and visually better than the first game, which was markedly rough around the edges. It would be a surprise, if the sequel wasn't a more polished and competent shooter. However, the games market today is a little softer than in 2010 and the military shooter market is more saturated, so it may not do as well saleswise, even if it turns out to be a better game.
toaplan 73

Next