to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Xbox SmartGlass set to launch on October 26th

Your comments on our articles.

Media swapping service will support variety of games, sports and entertainment apps at launch; iOS and Android edition 'inbound'

Microsoft is to usher in a new era of second-screen entertainment this week with the launch of SmartGlass for Xbox.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Postby richomack360 » 23 Oct 2012, 09:40

Not sure about this product - very wary of getting anything tablet related due to continual new hardware being released (like with Apple) and the stuff you can do with it seems a bit thin on the ground...

hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm he ponders
Twitter - @richomack360, XBL: richomack360

R.I.P. Rik Mayall - British comedy has lost an icon and a jolly nice b'stard.
richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Xbox Live: richomack360

Re: Xbox SmartGlass set to launch on October 26th

Postby StonecoldMC » 23 Oct 2012, 10:04

richomack360 wrote:Not sure about this product - very wary of getting anything tablet related due to continual new hardware being released (like with Apple) and the stuff you can do with it seems a bit thin on the ground...

This is software though, you download it for your Apple, Android or Windows tablet or phone, I think :lol: ?

All I really want from it right now is to be able to send an message using my SIII rather than that bloody Xbox keyboard?

I do think incorporating maps and such like is a pretty cool thing to do as well. Im actually quite looking forward to seeing where it eventually all goes.
"Nintendo want to make money by supplying fun, Sony want to make money by supplying Art, MS want to make money."

INTERNET, APRIL 2014
StonecoldMC 80
Global Moderator

Postby fightclubdoll » 23 Oct 2012, 10:12

So far, much more attention invested in entertainment than gaming.
fightclubdoll 19
New user

Postby steven_h1 » 23 Oct 2012, 10:17

I was looking forward to trying this but with no apps available for iOS or Android there doesn't seem any point. Does anyone know when they are planning on releasing these apps?
steven_h1 48

Postby fatherofthenoo » 23 Oct 2012, 10:35

There is a lot of potential for this. I hope it runs smoothly and quickly. Not like the Prometheus app that syncs with the movie on my blu ray player. Sloooooooooooow.
Now playing - Trine 2 Director's Cut, Dino Crisis 2, Devil May Cry, The Cave
fatherofthenoo 41

PSN ID: fatherofthenoo
Wii Code: WiiU-fatherofthenoo

Postby richomack360 » 23 Oct 2012, 11:17

StonecoldMC wrote:
richomack360 wrote:Not sure about this product - very wary of getting anything tablet related due to continual new hardware being released (like with Apple) and the stuff you can do with it seems a bit thin on the ground...

This is software though, you download it for your Apple, Android or Windows tablet or phone, I think :lol: ?

All I really want from it right now is to be able to send an message using my SIII rather than that bloody Xbox keyboard?

I do think incorporating maps and such like is a pretty cool thing to do as well. Im actually quite looking forward to seeing where it eventually all goes.

Well at the mo, it doesn't really appeal to me - wait a year or so and it might be a nifty bit of kit

richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Postby richomack360 » 23 Oct 2012, 11:20

StonecoldMC wrote:

Yup, but having to use a mobile thats logged into smartlgass app etc to send a message sounds pretty daft - that says more about the fault with the xbox emailing system than the benefits of using a mobile to do so.

Eventually is the key word - at the moment I don't think its anything overly amazing, would rather see MS focus on gaming rather than entertainment

richomack360 60
Global Moderator

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 23 Oct 2012, 11:43

StonecoldMC wrote:

If you've got a wnidows phone you already can.bwahahaha. So its highly likely that the app for android will incorporate it. Looking forward to seeing what features this has. Being able to properly control my 360 with my phone would be good. Streaming to a tablet so i don't need to use the tv would also be a great additon i hope they make.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Postby billysastard » 23 Oct 2012, 17:03

given the latency on my onlive console i fear this smartglass system is going to be no wii u gamepad

billysastard 62

Xbox Live: ImpaledGryphon
PSN ID: Impaled-Gryphon
Wii Code: wiiu-ImpaledGryphon
Steam: ImpaledGryphon

Postby chedda memba » 24 Oct 2012, 00:28

I think Microsoft r great and all but i wish they would be less vague with some of there announcements. I waiting for smartglass to release since it was announced and they said it would launch with ios support or so i understood it. Now we r going to have to wait with no confirmed release date. Nice one Microsoft!
chedda memba 40

Postby TheLastDodo » 24 Oct 2012, 00:33

StonecoldMC wrote:All I really want from it right now is to be able to send an message using my SIII rather than that bloody Xbox keyboard?

Take it the SIII doesn't have one of these apps then?

https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/my-xbox ... 14036?mt=8

If I remember I use this app for messaging, much faster.

Not certain but I think you need Gold to use it though, the messaging from your phone, not the app in general.
CURRENTLY PLAYING Mario Kart 8 - Titanfall
BEST GAMES OF 2014 Titanfall - South Park - Wolfenstein - Valiant Hearts
Twitter @the1paz
TheLastDodo 77

Postby Obscure_Metaphor » 24 Oct 2012, 09:33

You do realise that there won't be on live style lag, because it will be using your WiFi network, not your internet connection?

I think its fairly pointless until they release the apps, but im looking forward to it.
Obscure_Metaphor 40

Postby illage2 » 26 Oct 2012, 09:29

Wow, s**t games that I don't even own.
ImageImage
illage2 53

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2

Postby illage2 » 26 Oct 2012, 09:30

I knew it would be a Windows OS exclusive.
ImageImage
illage2 53

Xbox Live: illage4
PSN ID: illage2
Steam: illage2
xFire: illage2