to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Why I love Mortal Kombat

Your comments on our articles.

Arcade veteran Michael Gapper relives the guts and glory of Midway's controversial badass brawler

Mortal Kombat was a bit rubbish really, wasn't it? When the first MK was ported to consoles in 1993, there was no playground debate about whether it was better than Street Fighter II, because it wasn't, and everyone knew it. Street Fighter was deep (though we didn't really know what that meant) and Street Fighter was balanced (which was another word for better).... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Why I love Mortal Kombat

Postby BeansOnToast » 20 Oct 2012, 20:38

...and it's been two decades since Kris Kross were in the charts?

I think they got 20 years hard labour for that song.
BeansOnToast 29

Re: Why I love Mortal Kombat

Postby Megatrons_Fury » 21 Oct 2012, 04:43

Mortal Kombat is a game i always look at when a new one comes along but i don't know why, they suck!

Take away the gore, the fatalities and all your left with is a second rate fighter where every single character has the same damn moves with the exception of a few special moves here and there. Everything feels sluggish and the way you input special moves blows compared to free flowing fighters such as Streetfighter.

I guess we all kinda love it because its always been controversial and at the time was a huge deal, its history makes up for its huge shortfalls. Back when the first one came out you couldnt escape coverage of it, every single games mag went nuts for it even though honestly it was very poor, the second one on the snes however was much better and ultimate mortal kombat on ps1 was a huge hit.

A quick browse of my games and i noticed i have them all, weird that considering i absolutely hate the damn games, i know for a fact i have a couple of the streetfighter games missing so this makes absolutely no sense at all, i think i may need help......... Lots of it.
Megatrons_Fury 50

Postby JustOneMoreGo » 21 Oct 2012, 07:51

MK has got some great characters and a brilliantly cheesy storyline which I feel is as much of the appeal than the gore and general sillyness...

Playing MK with a friend while having a few beers, (and I don't mean online, I mean the old fashion way), can make for quite an entertaining evening. The MK games are just good, solid fun.

The most recent MK was pretty decent fighter, though. The best of the series yet in fact.
stealth wrote:I post facts...
JustOneMoreGo 33

Postby toaplan » 21 Oct 2012, 13:30

MK was never as fluid, responsive and complex as Street Fighter 2 or Virtua Fighter 2, but nevertheless was a successful fighting game that had its own charms. The first game stood out in the arcades for its realistic and large digitized characters. And of course for the gore, which was heavily toned down in the SNES version, causing a brief uproar in the console war of the time.

MK2 had improved responsiveness and overall playability, but still wasn't comparable to the masterful Japanese fighters. Japanese devs were just generally better at fighting games, shoot'em-ups, platform games and driving games. That still seems to be the case today, except for driving games, where Western devs have already caught up. And of course Japanese devs themselves are now playing catch-up in important newer genres like FPS and third-person cover-shooters.
toaplan 74

Postby razors edge » 21 Oct 2012, 13:47

Megatrons_Fury wrote:Mortal Kombat is a game i always look at when a new one comes along but i don't know why, they suck!

A quick browse of my games and i noticed i have them all, weird that considering i absolutely hate the damn games, i know for a fact i have a couple of the streetfighter games missing so this makes absolutely no sense at all, i think i may need help......... Lots of it.

Yes, I agree with you.

Do you also eat dogshit sandwiches but have no idea why cos, hey! you don't like the taste of dogshit?

More money than sense springs to mind.
razors edge 42

Postby Nimron Tang » 22 Oct 2012, 14:35

razors edge wrote:
Megatrons_Fury wrote:Mortal Kombat is a game i always look at when a new one comes along but i don't know why, they suck!

Yes, I agree with you.

Do you also eat dogshit sandwiches but have no idea why cos, hey! you don't like the taste of dogshit?

More money than sense springs to mind.

Haha Razor, was thinking along the same lines myself! Not really a fan of fighting games myself, especially the 2D fighters like Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter. (much prefer DOA or a bit of Soul Blade/Calibur)

I feel there was a time and a place for 2D fighters, it was called the 90's! Nostalgia can play awful tricks on the mind. (I have nothing against people who do like them though, just not my cuppa tea anymore)
It's just a ride.
Nimron Tang 48

PSN ID: Smittypig

Postby wishface » 23 Oct 2012, 12:10

MK's popularity isn't it's gameplay, certainly not the broken gameplay from MK9. It's the ideas in it's setting and it's characters. Who can't love lightning flinging kungfu gods? Not me!

However it's programmers are hopeless; the online komponent for the last game was krap. Totally broken. Never fixed. I don't hold out much hope for Injustice or whatever their DC game is called.
wishface 41