to join the CVG community. Not a member yet? Join now!
CVG

Hideo Kojima could cement a triple-A Silent Hill

Your comments on our articles.

Opinion: David Houghton on why Kojima is the man for the job

Silent Hill, let's face it, is in a mess. Once one of the most pioneering and narratively powerful series around - not to mention the most genuinely unsettling horror franchise in gaming - its decline has been a long, sad and winding tale of persistent neglect and eroded status.... read more

Moderators : CVG Staff, CVG Moderators

Hideo Kojima could cement a triple-A Silent Hill

Postby metallicorphan » 20 Oct 2012, 19:41

well what have Silent Hill got to lose?,Kojima or the FOX engine can't do any damage to the series

Even the 'HD' remake was a joke,Konami seriously need to think what they should do with the Silent Hill Franchise

note: not played Downpour,so can't comment on whether that is good or not
metallicorphan 60

Xbox Live: metallicorphan
PSN ID: metallicorphan
Wii Code: 8008135-111111111

Re: Hideo Kojima could cement a triple-A Silent Hill

Postby MrPirtniw » 20 Oct 2012, 20:40

Worth a shot I guess. Not a fan of Kojima really, but it'll be interesting to see his take on Silent Hill. Maybe use some stealth elements to creep around monsters rather than running past them.

Just don't let it become a convoluted mess story wise. Silent Hill 2's story was fantastic.
"Stop your putrid whining you dank tuft of rectal pubic hair."
Currently playing:
MrPirtniw 70

Xbox Live: Tysh0

Postby JustOneMoreGo » 20 Oct 2012, 21:29

Silent Hill, let's face it, is in a mess. Once one of the most pioneering and narratively powerful series around - not to mention the most genuinely unsettling horror franchise in gaming - its decline has been a long, sad and winding tale of persistent neglect and eroded status.

Not played Resident Evil of recent? A far worse decline in overall quality. A mish-mash of several ideas, poorly implemented in a transparent bid to appeal to the mass market world of 'guns n' ammo'.

Silent Hill's quality may have diminished over time, but next to the Resident Evil franchise it's a triumph.
stealth wrote:I post facts...
JustOneMoreGo 33

Postby gmcb007 » 20 Oct 2012, 21:32

If they just took their time and listened to what the fans love and hate about the franchise then they could bring out an amazing game to restore the SH glory. They should look back at SH and SH2 and try to recaptue that magic.
EA Sports: It's in the game(for a price).
gmcb007 63

Xbox Live: PM me if you want it

Postby SirDMCalot » 21 Oct 2012, 12:37

If MGS has taught me anything is that the relative realism and coherency of MGS1 was a huge fluke and if Kojima is given half a chance he will go on 20-min tangents about nothing (as shown by MGS2, which at least had major gameplay and replay value) and if given full reins he will completely disregard the gameplay (as shown by MGS4 10-hours of cutscenes and 8-5 hours of gameplay).
SirDMCalot 20

Postby PBUH » 21 Oct 2012, 13:14

JustOneMoreGo wrote:
Silent Hill, let's face it, is in a mess. Once one of the most pioneering and narratively powerful series around - not to mention the most genuinely unsettling horror franchise in gaming - its decline has been a long, sad and winding tale of persistent neglect and eroded status.

Not played Resident Evil of recent? A far worse decline in overall quality. A mish-mash of several ideas, poorly implemented in a transparent bid to appeal to the mass market world of 'guns n' ammo'.

Silent Hill's quality may have diminished over time, but next to the Resident Evil franchise it's a triumph.

Couldn't have put it better myself.
PBUH 29

Postby Marlonjb » 21 Oct 2012, 16:17

Silent Hill Downpour was a really good horror game It just had next to nothing to do with Silent Hill. In fact I think the name of "Silent Hill" Was tacked on just to get it to sell copies.

I'm a huge fanboy for the series and I've enjoyed each and every game but it should go back to its original developers as a western studio's taste in horror is just too, well, crap for lack of a better description.

Also I agree with one of the earlier comments about Resident Evil. Next to how the series started to how it is now Resident Evil is a huge joke. I remember back when the first RE came out I described it to a friend as such.

"Resident Evil is like action horror whereas Silent Hill is more like psychological horror."

Little did I realise that years later the "Action horror" Comment would turn out to be so true. I enjoyed RE6 but it wasn't much of a true "Resident Evil" Game unless you're willing to count the beginning of Leon's campaign.
If people are talking behind your back it's only because they cant talk to your face. PS3, Xbox360 Elite and Wii Owner so the lame ass "Fanboy" BS wont work on me. Do not bother!
Marlonjb 38

Postby DAEDALUS79 » 21 Oct 2012, 21:11

Im not sure...based on his recent efforts, Kojima cant even make a good stealth game (Call of Duty is more of a stealth game than MGS4, face the facts fanboys!). Horror games need a precise blend of subtlety, pacing, atmosphere, and thought out design. Im not sure Kojima could do that, especially without his massive budgets like he has for Metal Gear. Im a huge fan of Silent Hill, I really am, but Id rather see the series die now than have any more cash-in's which just dilute the series grandeur.
DAEDALUS79 73

Xbox Live: scyzer500
PSN ID: macby19

Postby AbrarZShahriar » 22 Oct 2012, 06:19

Keep on dreamin'
AbrarZShahriar 27

Postby billysastard » 22 Oct 2012, 07:33

why would konami give it to kojima? do they really want another of their big franchises to be playstation exclusive (a return to its origins), will xbox owners be happy to accept a 3rd party port on their system if anything at all?

billysastard 62

Xbox Live: ImpaledGryphon
PSN ID: Impaled-Gryphon
Wii Code: wiiu-ImpaledGryphon
Steam: ImpaledGryphon

Postby WHERESMYMONKEY » 24 Oct 2012, 10:09

DAEDALUS79 wrote:Im not sure...based on his recent efforts, Kojima cant even make a good stealth game (Call of Duty is more of a stealth game than MGS4, face the facts fanboys!). Horror games need a precise blend of subtlety, pacing, atmosphere, and thought out design. Im not sure Kojima could do that, especially without his massive budgets like he has for Metal Gear. Im a huge fan of Silent Hill, I really am, but Id rather see the series die now than have any more cash-in's which just dilute the series grandeur.

Yes but Kojima wouldn't be doing it alone. Akira Yamoka and SUDA51 would. These guys can do that. Grasshopper co developed the last Fatal Frame game, Probably the bleakest in the entire series.
Comedy. gaming. Lemmings? You do the math www.laserlemming.com
WHERESMYMONKEY 66

Postby cowboybibop » 25 Oct 2012, 16:14

DAEDALUS79 wrote:Im not sure...based on his recent efforts, Kojima cant even make a good stealth game (Call of Duty is more of a stealth game than MGS4, face the facts fanboys!). Horror games need a precise blend of subtlety, pacing, atmosphere, and thought out design. Im not sure Kojima could do that, especially without his massive budgets like he has for Metal Gear. Im a huge fan of Silent Hill, I really am, but Id rather see the series die now than have any more cash-in's which just dilute the series grandeur.

:shock:

:shock: "...Call of Duty is more of a stealth game than MGS4..." :shock:

:shock:
cowboybibop 32

Postby derangedxzombie » 20 Feb 2013, 02:29

Kojima/Konami really need to make the next Silent Hill!

number 2 was brilliant, 3 was the best, 4 was ok, 5 I didn't finish, and 6 looks very naff (the combat, the gameplay, and the monsters look like zombies, not scary or creative at all)

And someone above said COD is more a stealth game than MGS 4? MGS is tactical espionage and COD is action, neither are trying to be Tenchu xD
Last edited by derangedxzombie on 20 Feb 2013, 02:32, edited 1 time in total.
derangedxzombie 3
New user

Postby Onomatopoeia » 20 Feb 2013, 02:31

Silent Hill on the Fox Engine.

Do it.
Follow me on Twitter: http://www.twitter.com/Ono_Reviews
Check out my blog on the industry and game reviews:http://www.onoreviews.tumblr.com
Onomatopoeia 32